forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 01 Oct 09 11:50am

alice79

Member since Thu 01 Oct 09

First time cooking for my boyfriend - Help!!!!

I want to cook a meal for my boyfriend. Im not exactly the most confident when it comes to cooking. And just to make me even more stressed about it, hes a chef. yikes  For various reasons Ive managed to get away with not cooking for him for 2 months. But since he has cooked me some lovely meals over the past few weeks, I think that its about time I cooked something for him. Any suggestions for what to cook? We both like most things, so all ideas would be gratefully received (especially simple ones!!) wink

Thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 01 Oct 09 12:02pm

PepperP

Occupation Working slave
From Berlin / Germany
Member since Mon 10 Aug 09

Re: First time cooking for my boyfriend - Help!!!!

For easy / simple but yummy, that is what pops right into my mind

- bruschetta as starter, pumpkin soup or just a salad
http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=2847
http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=2520
http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=2944

- maybe a pasta dish as main course, pesto, carbonara, tomato sauce, meatballs, whatever you like

- dessert:
panna cotta
http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=1684
maybe add some sauce of berries or just purree of tinned peaches (without the juice)

If you are not comfortable with three courses, just stick with only one smile

Last edited by PepperP (Thu 01 Oct 09 12:37pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 01 Oct 09 12:05pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

Love PepperP's ideas  mrgreen

One member posted this website www.thelovebite.com, it's a website for people specifically cooking for their partner, loads of easy romantic date and food ideas on there. Hope all goes well  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 01 Oct 09 3:01pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I think it's very nice that you want to cook for your boyfriend and I can understand that you would be intimidated cooking for him since he's a chef.  May I suggest talking to him about this, expressing your fear that he won't like your food and them asking him if he can help you prepare a meal for him?  It might be fun to be in the kitchen together cooking at first before you attempt to do something for him right off the bat.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 01 Oct 09 4:15pm

ash90

Member since Thu 01 Oct 09

I really love pepper ideas. I love cooking and this forum has help me alot in developing more my skills.

ash90
www.dossierdesurendettement.net

Last edited by ash90 (Thu 01 Oct 09 4:17pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 01 Oct 09 4:28pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Alice, if you have the budget, you can pretty much not cook most of the meal, this will give you more time to be together and less stress.  Maybe choose something like smoked salmon and salad as a starter or hot goat's cheese on toast over salad, these require good products, not much cooking time or knowledge.  Ice cream is a great option for entertaining, you can add toasted nuts, chocolate sauce, strawberries to make it your own dish.  That leaves you with a main to sort out, I suggest something you both like and that you are familiar enough with cooking that you won't feel overwhelmed.

Have fun!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 01 Oct 09 8:18pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

pasta and sauce or home made pizza would be my suggestions. don't go the whole hog with 3 courses and get ice cream for dessert or something. don't stress yourself out with too much.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 02 Oct 09 9:14am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Chicken Parmigiana
Ingredients
6 chicken breast fillets
1 eggplant
2 tablespoons olive oil
60g butter
425g can chopped Roma tomatoes
250g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
150g baby spinach leaves, to serve
Method
Preheat oven to 200C. Place chicken into a ceramic, ovenproof dish.
Thinly slice eggplant lengthways. Heat oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until tender and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Place eggplant over chicken. Spoon over tomatoes. Top with mozzarella. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is golden and chicken is cooked through. Serve warm with baby spinach leaves.

Rich chocolate cake
Ingredients
200g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
200g butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
chocolate curls or shavings (optional), to serve (see note)
Chocolate icing
200g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup thickened cream
Method
Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line base and side of a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan.
Place chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate. Beat until well combined. Sift flour and cocoa together. Fold half the flour mixture into butter mixture. Add half the milk. Stir gently to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Spread icing over top and side. Top with chocolate curls, if using. Serve.
To make chocolate icing: Combine chocolate and cream in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, until almost melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes or until thick enough to spread.

Likes (0)