forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 15 Nov 09 4:14am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

Meringue problems

Each time I cook a meringue it looks perfect before I put it in the oven but it goes too brown and just "flops"when it cools. I suspect the my oven is too hot....
Today I made Shammy's recipe and cooked it for 45 minutes at 120C then turned the oven off and took it out after 15 more minutes...it still flopped. In one of Jamies recipes he says 150C for 1 hour so I even put it lower than that....

We still eat it but I would love to get it right eventually...I hate my oven as it cook everything too fast even when I allow 20c lower.....I SHOULD invest in an oven thermometer wink  thumbsup

Thanks for your suggestions smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 15 Nov 09 5:30am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Re: Meringue problems

Well, I've never made meringues (yet!).....so I can't really help you there. 

But I would DEFINITELY invest in an oven thermometer.  You won't regret it!  Every oven is different and the thermometer is the only way to know if your oven is reading accurately.  It will also help you to see when the oven has actually reached the temp you want.  Most ovens require longer than when you hear the beeper for the time the manufacturers set it to, to reach it's temp.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 15 Nov 09 5:34am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I am pretty sure a meringue should be longer in the oven than that. i like it dried out except sticky in the middle. How was yours?
It also varies on how big they are. I make small ones and they cook/dry out so much more quickly. But even them I leave in for a couple of hours.
(It has been a long time since I made them so I am not very precise!) smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 15 Nov 09 5:43am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Definately get an oven thermometer, my oven is a large one and even has a temperature variation between the shelves, and if the fan is set on fast or slow etc. I am sure that the last batch of meringues we cooked here were in for a couple of hours, first on 120C  then on 100C on the lowest shelf and came out pale.
You might get a surprise when you measure your oven.
Thermometers are not that expensive from most kitchen shops.
Good luck.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 15 Nov 09 5:51am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

Thanks everyone smile  An oven thermometer is on the shopping list! That might solve the problem.....once I get that sorted then I will look into anything else I am doing wrong.

JYD, I would ideally like them to be like you get them from Pavlova Pantry ( I don't know if they are still around hmm ) crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside but I would settle for crunchy, more meringue like, if you know what I mean...

rotten oven angry

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 15 Nov 09 7:12am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I don't know the Pavlova Pantry, but you have reminded me how I loved the shop meringues when I was little. I hate them now, but I had such a sweet tooth then. There were two sweet things sold at the school canteen and I remember they were threepence each (see how old I am!). One was a meringue, with a few hundred and thousands (and if you were lucky you got a pink, green, or pale mauve colour meringue!), and the other was a chocolate royal.
I ALWAYS chose meringue for our weekly bought lunch.
Then one day they announced that they would no longer sell meringues. No doubt they were thinking of our teeth! But I remember how sad I was. I sobbed all the way home sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad  sad

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 15 Nov 09 9:45am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

Our local bakeries still sell meringues and sometimes when I buy my grand daughter one she takes one bite and looses interest....then I have to finish it off... wink  how sad smile  smile  smile

They haven't changed much in all those years...still fat free big_smile  wink

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 17 Nov 09 11:59am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

I bought an oven thermometer today...the oven is WAAAAYYYY out. In order for the thermometer to read 180C , my oven dial says around the 120C mark....no wonder EVERYTHING gets burnt. For a while I won't be putting anything in the oven until I get used to the correct adjustment needed. The thermometer is living in the oven thumbsup  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 17 Nov 09 6:54pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Wow!  That oven does run hot eh?  Glad you got the thermometer.....it will be interesting to see how your recipes turn out now.  crossed

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 17 Nov 09 9:31pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Aside from the heat being too high, on wet or humid days, leave them in the oven an extra hour without opening the oven door and if you can pick a dry day to make them, it's optimal.

Likes (0)