Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 26 Nov 09 11:05pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Yorkshire pudding

I made Toad in the Hole tonight, which was apparently "delicious", but the pudding was a bit stodgy despite having been made with self-raising flour and an egg and whisked with an electric mixer.  My wife (from Warwickshire, admittedly considerably closer to Yorkshire than me) suggested that it doesn't rise BECAUSE I whisk it; she says it should be mixed minimally with a fork only.  Would any real son or daughter of the White Rose care to comment and advise?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 27 Nov 09 2:56pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: Yorkshire pudding

No no no - you must never whisk yorkshire pudding, or use selfraising flour. 

3/4 pint of milk made up to a pint with water ( this makes it lighter ), 2 eggs, 8oz Plain flour - beat eggs into milk then slowly add sifted flour mixing with a fork - take your time so you don't get lumps - its very soothing mixing batter I think. 

I have a tupperware shaker - I don't know if you can still get them but its fantastic - just add all the ingredients and shake it ( its good for whipping cream and milk shakes as well )

The main thing to remember is plain flour - hot oil in the pan ( it needs to be smoking ) and a little water.  My mum always use to add boiled water to sponge mix instead of a drop of milk, it makes the sponge really light.

Gem

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 27 Nov 09 3:31pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I'm just poking my nose in as i'm not a son or daughter of the English rose. But seeing that the recipe below is Dave's that i have used since last year, i'm sure that i'll be excused.........!!! It always comes up perfect. big_smile

half way down the page......

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=49742

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 27 Nov 09 9:28pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

I think Dave's about cracked it there; thank you, Dave, and to Kye for pointing it out.  I'm just going downstairs to admit to LMP that I got it wrong and she's right; I may be some time...

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 27 Nov 09 11:47pm

wildly organic

Occupation cooker,baker,gardener,captain,skier and bath bomb boss
From Dogville
Member since Fri 26 Sep 08

Earthmum...you have it perfectly. There is quite a cult following about proper yorkies even here in Canada there are competitions !

They are so yum with hot gravy making ponds in the centre of them

sigh

none for me though,trying to really watch food intake so I can get "svelte" for my daughter's April wedding. Why does all the good stuff have to be fattening?
I always want at least TWO yorkshire puds on my plate!  yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 28 Nov 09 5:30am

Strid

From BC, Canada
Member since Tue 24 Nov 09

Hey been following this post as i want to make fab home made yorkshires, so i can show off to my mum..L....where did 'Dave the cooks' recipe go.....i just wanted to check it over and it's not here now.....i'm a newb here so still learning how to navigate around.....thanx

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 28 Nov 09 5:44am

Strid

From BC, Canada
Member since Tue 24 Nov 09

Ignore that last post....OOPSIE....i found it on another post....what can i say...
I'm a newb...L...Sorry people

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 28 Nov 09 10:41am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I think that the making of YP's must be one of the most myth-laden tasks in the kitchen.
I was whinging to my 2nd cousin once, while in the pub on a visit to England, that mine weren't consistent. Sometimes they would rise, sometimes not.
He passed on our ancient family recipe...The McGill Mix

For 24 mini puds...
5 eggs (approx. 300g)
180g plain flour
300g water
half tsp salt
1 dessert spoon vinegar
Now this is a secret recipe, so don't go spreading it about.
USE WITH CARE, but be assured, it always works...I make the best YP's in Germany (actually Mrs P usually mixes them up)
Just reduce proportionally for smaller quantities.
Oh, and the Yorkshires go in the oven when the roast comes out. They cook during the resting time for the meat...

I used to mix with a fork, now I use my Bamix.
I used to always heat my oil (like Earthmum) now I just warm it up a bit...I'm tempted to try Dave's recipe, but why use more flour than neccessary?
What's this about buying frozen YP's like all my friends in England do?
When did that suddenly become fashionable? lol

Last edited by mr spice (Sat 28 Nov 09 10:42am)

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 28 Nov 09 1:16pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

I'm no English Rose but i can still make a crackin' Yorkshire Pudding  tongue

i use 150g of plain flour, 3 eggs, 180ml of milk, 100ml of water and about 1/2 tsp of salt...whisk the wet ingredients together then add the flour bit by bit till you have a nice smooth batter...cover, then leave it to rest at room temperature for about 1 hour .....in the meantime, heat the oven to 250C (throw the dry yorkie tins in whilst your at it)....once it's hot, add oil to the tins then heat again till smoking....quickly pour the mixture into the pudding tins (it should begin to rise straight away), slide them back into the oven and cook at 250C for the first 12mins...turn the heat down to 180C then continue cooking for about another 10mins...if you want a slightly softer yorkie, take them out now....if you prefer a crispier  yorkie, leave them in for another  8-10 mins.

you can also use beer (instead of water) which gives the yorkies a lovely flavour....they don't seem to rise as much but they're still very good  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 28 Nov 09 1:35pm

Singwhenyoubing

Forum champ
Occupation Professional crisp taster
From Essex.
Member since Mon 24 Mar 08

Did someone say beer?

Beer flavoured Yorkies? Now you're talking!

yummy  big_smile

Likes (0)