Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 20 Dec 09 12:09am

Ishiguro

Occupation Restaurant Manager
From Cambodia - London
Member since Sat 19 Dec 09

Decent Chicken Nuggets Recipe?

Hello,

I just made some chicken nuggets... Basically just dipping the chicken into a mixture of egg & water, then shaking up in a bag of breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then 10-15 in the oven on 220.

These turned out okay, but I know there must be a better (but still healthy) way... Does anyone have a decent recipe?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 20 Dec 09 2:57am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Decent Chicken Nuggets Recipe?

It can be nice to use crushed cracker biscuits instead of bread crumbs.
Do you mean no oil to be healthier? A little oil would make them yummier!
best wishes smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 20 Dec 09 3:03am

Ishiguro

From Cambodia - London

Thanks Joy. By healthy I just meant not deep-frying them. I like the idea of using cracker biscuits for a bit of extra crunch!

When you say adding oil, would that be pouring a little over them before they go in the oven?

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 20 Dec 09 10:03am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I roll my chicken nuggets in herbed rice crumbs, then either shallow fry with a tablespoon of oil (between 5 people, so it is not much really) or spray some oil over them before oven baking.  Either way they are not greasy, and very crunchy!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 20 Dec 09 3:25pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Use panko breadcrumbs.  They're the crunchiest ever.  Brushing the chicken with mustard before dipping in egg then the panko adds flavour.  Or you could add some lemon zest to the crumbs.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 20 Dec 09 5:21pm

Geelish

Member since Sun 20 Dec 09

You can get really crunchy nuggets by using 4 to 5 day old breaad that has dried out but dont use ready sliced bread as its useless!  Also for extra flavour you could add a parmasan or peccorino cheese mixed in with the breadcrumbs.  If you like a bit of a kick to your food add some cilli powder or even hot smoked paprika to the bread crumbs which would be delicious!!  I wouldn't bother dipping the nuggets in water though.  To make them really rich dip them in egg then your bread crumbs.

Another interesting twist on nuggets is going oriental.  Why not try putting ground cumin or coriander or even a combo of the two into beaten egg then roll the nuggets in dessicated coconut. Sprinkle over fresh roughly choppped coriander and a squeeze of lime for that final flavour boost!!  All of the above would be just as good using fresh king prawns.

Hope I've helped!!

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 22 Dec 09 1:31pm

Ishiguro

From Cambodia - London

Thanks everyone, some great ideas. Will try them all.   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 29 Dec 09 11:42pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I do chicken fingers or tenders this way;

1 plate with flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika
1 plate with bread crumbs (or panko) and finely grated fresh parmesan
1 bowl of egg and a splash of cold water beat together

Heat a non-stick pan with a tablespoon(ish) of oil (I don't use olive oil for this I use  corn, veg or rapeseed).
Take the cut boneless, skinless chicken pieces and dredge in flour mixture, then egg, then crumb mixture (then leave on crumb plate until there's enough to lightly fill the pan) and cook in batches. Add a little oil as needed.

I serve these with fresh garlic-basil tomato sauce or honey mustard sauce.

Tip: make a little more flour mixture, crumb and egg mixture then needed. I'd rather throw away a little than have to make more in the middle of cooking. Don't go crazy though   wink

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 30 Dec 09 2:38am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

I really only make chicken nuggets when kids are over, usually because they like them and they are picky eaters.  Here's what I do for them:

I dredge the chicken breast pieces in flour
I then dredge the floured pieces in some beaten eggs

and then I smash up their favorite snack chip in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin as fine as I can get them and I do my final dredging in that.  I know the kids like the chip, so they will like the nuggets. 

The lesson here is:  What do you like?  Follow the master recipe of flour, egg. breading and add what flavors you like to the breading.  Panko is really good.  You can mix panko with other things, too, like cornmeal or rice flour, to add crunch.  I've made them with crunched up Cornflakes cereal and that was good. 

As far as healthier:  I remember baking chicken fingers with alot of plain yogurt added to the egg in the second dredge and then not using any oil in baking.  THey turned out really tasty but, boy howdy, I cannot for the life of me find that recipe now.  Sorry.

Likes (0)