forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Tue 16 Feb 10 3:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Pasta machine, which one should we choose?

gary007 wrote:

If you really want authentic Italian pasta, learn to do it by hand. You do not need a machine. Remember Jamie's pasta rolling competition that he lost, no machines there, just a rolling pin.

Is there any machine that this is not true for? Okay, not necessarily a rolling pin lol  but the skill and authenticity!

Likes (0)

#42 Tue 16 Feb 10 4:19am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Imperia 220 big_smile i love it would not change it.But keep in mind there not cheap neutral

Likes (0)

#43 Tue 16 Feb 10 10:18am

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

gary007 wrote:

If you really want authentic Italian pasta, learn to do it by hand. You do not need a machine. Remember Jamie's pasta rolling competition that he lost, no machines there, just a rolling pin.

Is there any machine that this is not true for? Okay, not necessarily a rolling pin lol  but the skill and authenticity!

I agree Joy. There are times I am thankful for some modern technology. I am looking forward to getting a pasta machine at some point...there are so many things on my 'to do list' in the kitchen that it is currently on the back burner.

Likes (0)

#44 Tue 16 Feb 10 11:06am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

gary007 wrote:

If you really want authentic Italian pasta, learn to do it by hand. You do not need a machine. .

hmmmm...you don't NEED a fully automatic washing machine either, but show me a modern Italian woman who washes her laundry with a bar of soap, a bucket and a washboard   hmm  and i'll eat my rolling pin ......sideways  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#45 Tue 16 Feb 10 11:20am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

OMG!!!!

Since I was little and we're talking the 80's I can remember having the pasta/salsa gatherings while the men gathered olives (they made olive oil in a machine too!!!!) in the fields and my mum and aunties made pasta with a lovely shiny machine ok they kneaded the dough by hand...... but the pasta was done with a machine..... and the salsa was passes through a puree thingy that was like a machine and a lovely machine made the sausages too  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#46 Tue 16 Feb 10 12:01pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

DebDiMaggio wrote:

OMG!!!!

..... my mum and aunties made pasta with a lovely shiny machine ok they kneaded the dough by hand...... but the pasta was done with a machine....too  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

WHAT ?  shocked you mean to say they didn't spend half their day rolling out copious amounts of pasta with a rolling pin, aprons tucked into their knickers, singing 'A Luna Ammenzu 'U Mari' ?  it's the ONLY way to make 'authentic' pasta  you know whistle   wink    lol  lol

Likes (0)

#47 Tue 16 Feb 10 12:08pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

no they sang Caruso  lol

Likes (0)

#48 Thu 25 Feb 10 5:43pm

jaseelnino

Forum champ
Occupation House hubby and Taxi driver
From Clondalkin, Dublin, Ireland
Member since Tue 18 Dec 07

I am now thinking about buying one. We eat a good bit of pasta and I want to start making it myself. Are they expensive.

Likes (0)

#49 Thu 25 Feb 10 6:12pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

This is the one they use at Recipease, after trying several brands that ended up not lasting the distance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperia-Italian … amp;sr=8-2

It is currently about 38 on amazon, but i did see it on special before christmas on amazon for just under 30. And check ebay as there are some on there usually that are unwanted gifts or only used once and they usually sell for about 20-30 including postage.

I would buy this one if I had the room, but small kitchen so I plan to get the attachment for the KA when the budget can cope with it.

Likes (0)

#50 Thu 25 Feb 10 8:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I tried rolling pasta once by hand.  What a fiasco, never again.  I think maybe it's harder than washing your clothing by hand, maybe on par with washing sheets by hand.

Authentic?  Baby tools have been used since before hominids walked upright.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 25 Feb 10 8:14pm)

Likes (0)