forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 05 Jan 10 5:27pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Let's share bread making tips and recipes

As I am now on a bread making mission and learning so much in the process, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can share bread making tips and recipes.

My tips, as a novice, so far are related to making a white loaf of bread.

- knead for at least 10 minutes before first proving
- put in a cosy spot away from draughts
- do not put somewhere too hot as heat over about  50 degrees celcius kills yeast, so don't put it next to the heater for example when proving
- honey or sugar in the mix feeds the yeast
- you can leave the dough overnight in the fridge to prove but I personally don't think it is as good.

The recipe I am using for my white loaf is from The River Cottage Family Cookbook, which is so easy to follow as is written for kids as well as adult. I am loving this book, and highly recommend it to anyone. I also have the River Cottage Bread Handbook but I am yet to delve into it's exciting contents.

That's it from me at the moment, but as I experiment with other recipes I am sure I will come across other tidbits and recipes to share.

Last edited by jutta73 (Tue 19 Jan 10 2:11pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 05 Jan 10 7:26pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: Let's share bread making tips and recipes

Good idea! From your other post:
"How long did you leave your dough to rise in the first proving?
Did you add honey or sugar to 'feed' the yeast? "

I nearly always use a No-knead recipe as it's uncomplicated so suits my struggle for simplicity lol
This is adapted from an original by Jim Lahey who I think originated the technique...
1. 400g flour
2. 1 tsp salt
3. 1 pack dried yeast
4. 350ml warm water
6. 1 tsp sugar
Mix 1, 2 & 3 in a large bowl
Dissolve 6 in 5 and add to dry mix.
Stir to an even consistency. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place overnight. This will rise lovely overnight. In the morning stir again and leave to rise once more.
When I come in from work, I put the oven on about 220C, grease my tin and put it in the oven. Once heated, pour the mix into the tin, cover with a decent lid (I use a
heavy oval Pyrex dish) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue baking for another 30 minutes. Turn it out and let it cool before devouring:lol:  lol  lol
For a rustic looking loaf just pour the mix into a cake tin and cover with a plate for the first 30 mins. I've also used this technique for Focaccia and Ciabatta style breads, they might not be authentic but no one complains in this house lol

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 05 Jan 10 7:56pm

jutta73

Forum champ

I have just made my second white loaf and came out wonderful. It really does not take much of my real time to do.
15 mins at the start (includes 10 mins of kneading),
then it sits around proving for 1.5 - 2 hours,
then it needs my attention for 5 minutes,
then proves again for 30 mins,
then takes a minute to pop it in the oven,
then I have to do a couple of 1 minute jobs 2 times in 30 mins.
So all up actual hands on time for me is no more than 25 mins. Not too time consuming at all.
And now that I have done it a couple of times, I have the 'pattern' of it and it just seems so easy.
Time to branch into other flavours and styles I think.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 05 Jan 10 9:05pm

jutta73

Forum champ

Second white loaf is just as wonderful as the first! Will blog pic later.

Just wondering, have a bit of the first loaf left. How do I make it into breadcrumbs to use later?

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 06 Jan 10 12:20am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Well done jutta on making lovely bread, no can do in my kitchen far too cold, I use a bread machine.
Had good results in the summer with no knead bread.

Now stale bread for breadcrumbs can be treated 2 ways.
Blitz, bag, freeze, for fresh .....or  slice,bake in a slow oven to dry out....even  gold brown in colour, then blitz in processor, keeps well in airtight jar for months. Usefull for toppings, coating etc. ( I fry with a little melted butter to add to strudel filling, soaks up juice from the apples)

Hope your not snowed in too.

Last edited by mincepie (Wed 06 Jan 10 12:22am)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 06 Jan 10 12:52am

jutta73

Forum champ

No, not yet snowed in but it is expected. So I have a big grocery order coming tomorrow, and we can always bake bread! Actually I just made the dough and popped it in the fridge for the morning. I trust Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and am interested to see the difference in the bread after a slow overnight rise in the fridge.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 06 Jan 10 1:09am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

We seldom have left over bread, but when we do it is just as Mincepie said, into the food processor (the small bowl works best) and then into the freezer to use when needed.

Breadmaking tip; If you can bear to wait for an hour (or nearly an hour) before cutting your bread it will have a better texture and keep better! (Because all the moisture doesn't steam out!)

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 06 Jan 10 1:34am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Sugar feeds the yeast, but too much sugar retartds yeast growth, just like salt does.

I posted these 2 elsewhere:  Bread rises better if it's raining, if the barometer's falling

Flour will weigh more in the winter per volume.

If you are having trouble handling dough, lightly oil your hands, sprays work well.

THe French dough slapping kneading method works well, especially if you don't want to incorporate more flour into a sticky dough.  It will be sticky at first, and then calm down.

There are 2 big schools of Artisan Bread making for the home baker right now.  There is the Lahey/Sullivan Street Bakery no-knead method mentioned above and the Zoe what's-her-name's Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day, where you make a big tub of dough all at once, a master dough recipe, and then keep it in the refrigerator and tear off bits all week to bake.  It develops flavor as time goes on and can be changed infinitely with the addition of ingredients.

To get a good crust baking on a stone, cover loaf for first 2/3rds of baking time with a big inverted metal bowl, like a popcorn bowl, to trap steam.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 06 Jan 10 1:48am

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

I once tried this recipe from foodwise and it turned out real real good. Fluffy inside and crisp outside. And those seeds, god I love sunflower seeds, they just make it a treat to be eaten pure or with some good quality olive oil. Here's the link:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … php?id=912

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 06 Jan 10 3:06am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Another bread making tip:

DO IT!  BAKE BREAD!

Do it, get used to baking it, get into the rythmn and it becomes part of your day, like brushing your teeth.  Feed your senses!

I bake bread almost every day.  At LEAST 5 out of 7 days. When someone visits I can whack off half a loaf to send home with them.

Last edited by runwestierun (Wed 06 Jan 10 3:08am)

Likes (0)