Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 18 Jan 10 5:35pm

Grade

Member since Sun 29 Jun 08

How to make flat Burgers - Help needed

Hi guys.

I have been making burgers (sometimes making my own or if I have less time buying of the supermarket) for while now and all my burgers are thick!

How can I flat them?

I tried to make as flat as possible I can, but always end up thick in Home made or "supermarket" made (they are made by the supermarket).

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 18 Jan 10 5:41pm

highlanderafc

Member since Fri 15 Jan 10

Re: How to make flat Burgers - Help needed

greetings, when i make our burgers i put an indent in the middle of the pattie with me thumb, then put the indented part on the grill face down.  i cant take credit from that bit of advice, bobby flay is the answer. cheers and hope it helps.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 18 Jan 10 5:41pm

Outtolunch

Occupation Being lazy
From W. Sussex UK

We always make our own and love them thick  !!

If you want thin ones place between sheets of cling film and roll out -  or use your hand. Pop in fridge for a while. Bring back to room temp. before cooking.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:04pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

if your mince has a lot of fat (and water), the shrinking as it cooks can turn a flat patty into a ball of burger. If this is the case, you could try using "extra lean ground beef" as they call it in the US, about 93% lean, 7% fat - or even ground round or ground sirloin. Those will keep their flat shape better as they cook.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:28pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Similar to Outtolunch I roughly flatten by hand and pop them between two sheets of greaseproof to roll out thin. You should easily get them down to about 6mm thick.
Once they are rolled you can stack them and put them in the freezer for 10 minutes before frying or grilling (just to make them easier to handle). thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 18 Jan 10 7:25pm

Grade

Member since Sun 29 Jun 08

Thanks guys.

I will try to use your ideas and decide what is the best idea.

I read in another place that low fat burgers tend to be tasteless. Is that right? If so do season it with salt or what?

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 18 Jan 10 7:33pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Grade wrote:

Thanks guys.

I read in another place that low fat burgers tend to be tasteless. Is that right? If so do season it with salt or what?

Yep, just salt & pepper...low fat burgers are not tasteless, the cut and quality of beef will affect flavour as much as fat content.
Buy your minced beef from a good quality butcher
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 18 Jan 10 7:59pm

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

mr spice wrote:

Grade wrote:

Thanks guys.

Yep, just salt & pepper...low fat burgers are not tasteless, the cut and quality of beef will affect flavour as much as fat content.
Buy your minced beef from a good quality butcher
thumbsup

Low fat burgers are completely tasteless, unless you like to eat cotton batting.

Fat content doesn't have anything to do with why a burger turns into a ball.  The fibers in the meat contract as it's heated.  Making an indentation in the center helps. 
I just enjoy my nice, round, thick burgers!

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 18 Jan 10 8:03pm

Outtolunch

Occupation Being lazy
From W. Sussex UK

Agree with Choc - you need the fat. The only time I don't buy extra lean mince is when making burgers.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 18 Jan 10 8:30pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

respectfully beg to differ, if your beef is good quality you don't need all the fat. I was basing my comment on other comments here that indicate that mince in England has more water & fat compared to US ground beef, and the loss of water will certainly make burgers shrink.
Everyone I've made my lean burgers for (always on the barbeque BTW) say they're the best they've tasted, no one has ever mentioned the words 'cotton batting'!

edit: maybe you're overcooking your burgers if they're tasteless? whistle

Last edited by mrpab (Mon 18 Jan 10 8:42pm)

Likes (0)