forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 24 Jan 10 8:49am

gabbieroxs

Member since Sun 17 Jan 10

Ribeye Steak

Hi Forum,
I Want to cook something with ribeye steak tonight but i dont have a good recipe, i am looking for an easy, but delicious recipe that dosn't take to long because today a family guest is coming over.
Help! :P
Gaby  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 24 Jan 10 11:00am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: Ribeye Steak

Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab … 1464.shtml

I'd serve it with baked potato to mop up the delicious sauce...

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 24 Jan 10 11:10am

JulieR4u2

Occupation Stay at home Mum, Retired.
From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 09 Nov 09

Flame it on the BBQ. I have been exploring my Flame Grill on the Barbie. Enjoying the results. Makes ordinary meat, extraordinary good.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 08 Jun 10 9:18pm

Squidgy

Occupation Police
From London - An exiled Boltonian
Member since Fri 03 Jul 09

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but this seemed to be the logical thread to resurrect for my question rather than clog the forum up with yet another duplicate thread.

I stumbled across what is now my favourite foodshop on the planet yesterday (Wholefoods - Kensington High Street (there are 2 or three others in London I think for all you Londeners that haven't had the pleasure yet - google them - you won't be dissapointed)). Amongst the most amazing selection of foods I have ever encountered under one roof, were some phenomenal Ribeye steaks (HUGE at less than 9 quid a piece).

I'm planning on cooking a suprise meal for my girlfriend and don't want to make a mess of such a beautiful piece of meat. So, two main questions - the cooking and what to serve it with?

I've got a good griddle pan and I don't intend messting with it too much. I was thinking of rubbing a little oil on it seasoning then searing it off and finishing it off in the oven for a few minutes in the pan. I'm really not sure of the timings. I have a good eye for what the meat should look for on the outside, but my lack of experience cooking stakes worries me about the finished article. I'm aware of the 'feeling your hand' technique, but not very confident with that either!

Accompaniments? I was thinking something fairly simple  herb butter (I have sage/thyme/parsley/oregano in the garden but not sure which would go best, although thyme would probably be too strong). Probably looking at Potato Dauphinoise  and asparagus as veggies.

Thanks in advance folks.

help  clap

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 08 Jun 10 9:27pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Squidgy wrote:

I'm really not sure of the timings. I have a good eye for what the meat should look for on the outside, but my lack of experience cooking stakes worries me about the finished article. I'm aware of the 'feeling your hand' technique, but not very confident with that either!

Remember that after it is cooked, the steak should be rested, and while it rests it keeps cooking itself. When you take it out of the oven, you want it to be a little more red then you want it to be on the plate.

As for accompaniments, young potatoes are still in season, oil/butter them up with loads of rosemary and roast untill they brown.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 08 Jun 10 9:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Here's Tyler Florence's take on ribeye with potato galette:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle … index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle … index.html

Basics sides are nice with a rich steak - French Green beans sauteed with shallots and tomatoes, corn-on-the-cob, field greens and potatoes are always good.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 08 Jun 10 9:56pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 08 Jun 10 11:40pm

Squidgy

Occupation Police
From London - An exiled Boltonian
Member since Fri 03 Jul 09

Cheers for that.

I'm still dubious about putting something out of a packet on such a lovely bit of meat (to get a really big steak costs the earth in the UK). I'm a just after rubbing oil into it and ground salt and pepper then let the meat shine with some nice sauce.

I find it odd that you put the butter in the hot pan first too (making it burn). Wouldn't starting it off coated in oil and adding buter at a later stage be better for the flavour?

Last edited by Squidgy (Tue 08 Jun 10 11:41pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 09 Jun 10 10:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

The  rubbing your steaks with oil thing  makes me cringe  everytime. Even Jamie does it for some inexplicable reason.   It  gives this  burnt oil aftertaste , on oiled steaks that are dropped onto a screaming hot grill . puke    Raw meat takes seasoning just fine without oil and if your grill is seasoned properly and at the right temp there is no chance of it sticking.

Panfrying a steak  on the other hand is a very rare occurance at my house since I am normally  willing to grill anytime of day; any day of the year thumbsup

If for some unknown reason I panfry a steak. I like a hot castiron pan  that is well seasoned. I wipe it with a high smoke point oil seconds before the steak goes in.   ( piece of clean cloth rag or papertowel works well)  Drop my seasoned steak in to sear both sides. then move to lower heat to cook to desired doneness.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Wed 09 Jun 10 5:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I never oil the meat.  It has plenty of fat in it.  Is it supposed to give it more color?  I learned a trick from a friend, put a small piece of the meat fat into the pan, as it gets hot, swirl it around to coat the pan.  It works.

Likes (0)