forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 17 Feb 10 4:41am

SanAntonioMom

Member since Wed 17 Feb 10

We need a food revolution in Texas!

I live in San Antonio, ranked the third "fattest" large city in the US.  The food served in the public schools doesn't even pass as edible in my books yet the schools claim it is the best they can do.  Some days the school has even run out of lunches for the last classes to eat and my son has gone without any lunch.  He now takes bento box lunches from home with lean proteins, fresh salad and yogurt and healthy snacks, but I feel terrible for the children who rely on school meals. 

As a city, we struggle to keep farmer's markets running and profitable due to the general lack of interest in clean, healthy, fresh foods - it is heartbreaking. How do I start the food revolution here?  I am passionate about this and need advice how to get our schools and community to care about this as much as I do.

Please help!

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 17 Feb 10 10:48am

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Re: We need a food revolution in Texas!

Hi and welcome to the forums

Please check out this area on the campaigns section here on the site.There are a list of US organisations who are on the same track as Jamie:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/ja … n/campaign

Regards

Danny

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 24 Feb 10 11:39pm

FitKidNetwork

Occupation Personal Trainer / Coach
From Texas
Member since Wed 24 Feb 10

Hey SanAntonioMom,
I'm not too far from you in the Austin Area. I get down there often and also have some connections there. I'd love to find out a little more about how things are there. I have a friend that is a Personal Trainer there that once told me about the lack of interest in fitness there.and to hear what you are saying about the schools makes me fightin' mad!

We'd like to help take on your cause. go to www.fitkid.tv and maybe we can make some noise with some youtube video or something!

Coach Scott

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 25 Feb 10 1:14pm

Sjay

Member since Thu 25 Feb 10

I can't wait to watch this show, seen most of Jamie's other shows.
Haven't really been following what has been happening in the news, but I really hope you Yanks do embrace it for the better, you are very lucky to have him. To watch what Jamie had done in the UK with 'School Dinners', was simply amazing.

Jamie, time to get your arse down to Australia!!!!

Last edited by Sjay (Thu 25 Feb 10 1:18pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 27 Feb 10 2:15am

Til

Member since Sat 27 Feb 10

I am in North Texas and I can say the school lunches are very bad here too.  Our schools just heat up food and they do not "cook" anymore.  It fills our children with preservatives and low quality meats.  A majority of the food is government issued - FDA approved food and that does not say much.  This nation can complain about being in the lowest percentile of educational scores.  Look at what their brains have to run off of.  Look at what their hearts have to deal with.  All of the children who receive free lunch have no choice but to eat the food they are given for breakfast and lunch.  I did the food guide pyramid online and found out just what my children were lacking.  It was amazing! Some days they would not have ANY fruits or vegetables.  I feel sorry for our kids. help

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 02 Mar 10 12:52am

FitKidNetwork

Occupation Personal Trainer / Coach
From Texas
Member since Wed 24 Feb 10

It's concerned parents like you that can help make a start in the right direction. You are absolutely correct and there needs to be a change. But parents have got to take a stand! We will make a difference. The Surgeon General and others are saying that this generation of children may be the first to die before their parents. We at fitkid.tv are determined knot to let that happen.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 02 Mar 10 11:07pm

tbalder

Member since Tue 02 Mar 10

Hi,

I've just recently been involved in a Wellness Fair at a local school in our area.  It was such a great idea...it included different presenations during the entire day that either talked about a healthy life style such as back pack safety, smoking, packing a healthy lunch, fire safety and stranger danger or it might of been an activity for the students to participate in like soccer, field hockey, kick boxing, dance, yoga etc.  I am a Wellness Coordinator with Juice Plus and I spoke to the children in 45 minute intervals (5 sessions in total) about the importance of good nutrition.  Juice Plus is a whole food based supplement that helps you bridge the gab between what you are eating and you should be eating.  How many people actually eat the required servings of "raw" fruit and vegetables every day?  Virtually all of us fall short of the quantity of raw fruits and vegetables required to protect us from illness and disease.  Making a difference in our children's lives has been a mission of mine and I have found that getting involved in the school(s) was important because our children are our future!

Trina B
www.pureandsimplejuiceplus.com

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 07 Mar 10 3:51am

yoco409

Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

I live in San Antonio too, live in a great school district but the school's menu is unacceptable.  I refuse to let my son buy his lunch.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 12 Mar 10 12:18am

Fitmommy

Occupation Personal Trainer
From San Antonio Tx
Member since Thu 11 Mar 10

What a nice surprise to find fellow Texans on this board. 
I just joined after seeing the commercial for Jaime's new show.  I am so excited, we need a lot of help in the good ole' USA too.
My son is in the Comal school district, Kindergarten. I pack his lunch everyday.  Even he thinks the school lunches are gross.  Then again he has never had a canned vegetable at home and sees how not fresh the veggies look at school.

I really hope Jaime (and all of us) can change some minds.  FOOD INC. was a start.  I hope the Food Revolution is the middle and the end.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 12 Mar 10 12:56am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome Fitmommy! Please join in! smile

Likes (0)