forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:36pm

debstratis

Member since Wed 24 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

Once the petition is signed and presented to the White House, I hope there are some action items like:
1) Close down 50% of the fast food chains (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, etc).  Perhaps those workers can work for local CSA's.

2) Revise the USDA guidelines that require less demand on the current processed food served in schools.

3)  Cut down on chain restaurants and support more local restaurants that use local organic/natural ingredients.  BTW, a menu should NOT have 30-50 items to choose from!  That is crazy!

4) Increase the number of organic/natural food shops. Encourage Wellness Communities that provide community spaces like Jamie has on the show (sponsored by companies) along with free lectures, demos, etc.  Clearwater, FL is a good example of this.

Likes (0)

#52 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:47pm

lanree

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

It was so great to see your show on Sunday night!  I'm hoping every school official will soon hear of your revoulution.  I have been hearing complanints from my kids for years about the food.  Having teen age boys, there biggest complaint is that it is not enough food.  Realistically, it is all water, fat and filler.  Leaving nothing behind to actually fill up a teen age boy.  The portions in our school are the same no matter if you are 6 or 16.  Mini corn dogs, mini tacos?  Gross!  A real taco with real meat, cheese, lettuce would be so much more filling for these kids.  And the nutrients would follow them through out the day.  I hope this revoulution does make some serious changes in how our government set the standards and how our schools prepare food.  Lets get those ovens put to work!  Not just for reheating!

Likes (0)

#53 Wed 24 Mar 10 6:15pm

need2lose

FINALLY!  Someone who isn't paid by the food companies or the lobby groups to promote the very foods that have made us fat!  We can't trust the labels on foods we buy, our fast foods restaurants keep super-sizing everything in order to dominate the market and adding sugar to their fries so that we will crave them more!  I am appalled at the way Jamie was treated.  As adults, we should be thankful that someone cares enough to try and help our children live longer!  As someone who needs to lose weight and has health related conditions, I anxiously await the next episode in the hopes that he can teach me what our schools, our environment and our country failed to do!  Bravo Jamie!

Likes (0)

#54 Wed 24 Mar 10 6:33pm

jlvg

Go Jamie! Don't let the Alice's of this world get to you. She needs to be educated as do many of us. I am appalled at the attitude Jamie was given. That school he was at is not open at all to change. They said they were and that they would try but they have done NOTHING to support his effort. The LUNCH LADIES should be ashamed of their behavior. I hope they watch it back and wake up. Same for the radio DJ.
Jamie is not the first person to suggest that we are failing to feed our families and our children properly. He seems to just be the first one with the guts enough to stick his neck out and save us.
Ask a school teacher (especially one that has been around before processed foods) they will tell you there is an epidemic of poor health and behavior with research supporting diet changes as solutions.
How do we swim up a river and plant a seed for change???

Likes (0)

#55 Wed 24 Mar 10 8:53pm

chriswon

Member since Tue 23 Mar 10

My mother worked in an elementary school cafeteria for twenty something years, and "back in the day" they used to really cook food.  It wasn't processed junk like they serve now.  In fact, when they started serving processed food, that's when she retired, and that was a big part of why she retired.  My point is, serving healthy food in a school cafeteria can be done.  Yes it's a big job.  It takes a little more time than opening up a box or a bag and heating it up, but it's so worth the extra time and effort.  Thanks, Jamie, for what you're doing to educate our country.

Likes (0)

#56 Wed 24 Mar 10 9:46pm

need2lose

If the schools were actually cooking in the ovens, wouldn't the aroma make the children want to eat it more.  It works in restaurants...

Likes (0)

#57 Wed 24 Mar 10 10:51pm

Lililuvsdance

Jamie should visit Burlington, Vermont.  This is how it can be done as far as making good food available to people.  I don't know how it would work for the schools but it could definitely start at home.

I cannot post a link because it won't allow that but there is a food co-op called City Market Onion Co-op that buy from local farmers who do it organically.  Both the concept and the food is wonderful in my opinion.

There is another one a little more upscale but again wonderful fresh produce and local farmers called Healthy Living Natural Food Markets.

Last edited by Lililuvsdance (Thu 25 Mar 10 1:23am)

Likes (0)

#58 Thu 25 Mar 10 12:44am

Mick624

Jamie,
Thank you for what you are doing here. I'm a lucky person who had a mom who made my school lunch every day. I'm also lucky because my older sister started her own revolution in our family because she was sick of getting headaches every day.  She learned about nutrition and what processed foods do to our bodies (make us sick), and told the rest of my family. We all eventually listened smile  I think I'm very fortunate that one person in my family learned something that made a big difference in all of our lives. This was 20 years ago, but I've been eating healthfully ever since. I'm one of the people at my work who always brings fresh meals from home, and guess what? It started with two of us, and now most people at work are bringing in salads and fresh foods. One coworker lost 20 pounds and dropped his cholesterol by 40 points in 3 months just from eating fresh food at lunch instead of frozen dinners.

My point is, one person can make a change. Jamie Oliver is making a BIG change that may influence a lot of people, but even one person can change many lives for the better.

The second point I want to make is that the USDA is talking about revising their school lunch standards. (The USDA is heavily influenced by the agriculture industry, which may be why we have the current standards that we do, but I digress.)

Anyway, here's an excerpt from the press release:
USDA TO HIGHLIGHT OBAMA ADMINISTRATION EFFORTS TO IMPROVE SCHOOL MEALS
WASHINGTON, March 23, 2010 - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced that USDA will be holding a series of school nutrition events throughout the country to highlight the Obama Administration's efforts to improve school meals as Congress considers reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act. USDA leaders will outline a number of steps to reduce hunger and improve the health and nutrition of our nation's children.

"With childhood hunger and obesity on the rise we owe it to our child to ensure our nutrition programs address these challenges," said Vilsack. "The President and First Lady have asked the American people to join in this effort not only for our children, but for the future of our country. And this year presents an unprecedented opportunity to improve the health and well being of our children when Congress considers legislation to improve the Child Nutrition Act."

A strong reauthorization of the Child Nutrition Act is the legislative centerpiece for First Lady Michelle Obama's recently announced Let's Move! campaign to end childhood obesity within a generation. USDA leadership will host the school nutrition events in regions throughout the country where participants will include food service workers, school officials, community and advocacy members, federal, state and local officials, parents and students.
--END--
You can read the entire release if you are interested by going to the website usda.gov and searching for Release No. 0144.10 (currently on the home page).

Perhaps Jamie should talk to Michelle Obama!
Anyway, great work, Jamie. I'm very proud of you.
clap
Sorry for the long post!!!

Likes (0)

#59 Thu 25 Mar 10 5:25am

dsmart

Member since Thu 25 Mar 10

Thank you for turning the mirror on what we're eating.  It's time we see what we're doing to ourselves and future generations. 

At the beginning of the farmers' market season last year I was asked to develop a collective marketing campaign for the farmers and vendors that sold there.  We had a wonderful summer enlightening the community about the amazing variety of local food our area has to offer!  At the end of the season I was standing next to a local dairywoman and she sighed as the last of the customers wandered away from the market tables.  "My cows produce milk all year," she said sadly.  "I can sell to one local grocery store but I lose 40% to them and have to throw away so much every week that they don't sell..." 

So I did what any busy self-respecting working mother of 5 would do..  I started an Online Farmers' Market.  Our farmers, ranchers, dairy, bakeries, orchardists, beekeepers, artists and others manage their online part of the store setting their own prices and inventory and customers shop through Thursdays.  Thursday afternoon all of the orders are sent out and they milk, pick, bake, bottle and gather.  Friday mornings they all crowd to my office to deliver their pre-paid orders (no wasted inventory).  Friday afternoons the customers come and pick up their orders.  The farmers keep 92.5% of every sale with 7.5% going to the credit card processing company. 

I have learned so much!  I asked our buffalo rancher why she grass/pasture feeds her buffalo.  She said, "because buffalo eat grass" (not corn, grain, animal bi-products, etc).  I asked our beef rancher why he doesn't give his cows growth hormones and antibiotics and he said "because they're healthy."  I asked our dairywoman why she raises Jersey cows.  "Because they provide the best milk."  Simple answers but the simplicity of their answers reminds me of how un-simple our current mass-production practices are.  These are amazingly passionate people who work incredibly hard and are proud of what they bring to market - all year.

I wanted to share the word about our success because I think it is truly a model that can work elsewhere.  The connections we have been able to make between consumers and farmers are priceless and their interactions make it all worthwhile.  Plus, I have kept a way for a hard working mother of 5 (me) to buy local food for my own kids (conveniently)!  If anyone in Eastern Washington or Oregon, USA wants to make some good friends and eat good food I know just where to go - shopthenorthwest.com!

Keep up the good work!!!

Last edited by dsmart (Thu 25 Mar 10 4:37pm)

Likes (0)

#60 Thu 25 Mar 10 6:04am

orpbooks

Occupation Publisher
From orpbooks.com
Member since Thu 25 Mar 10

I hope that this show makes an impact on someone. We all have to begin to eat better or we will pay the price. We need to begin at home where our kids start the learning process. I plan to plant a small garden in my back yard this year to produce some fresh vegetables that can be prepared for family meals. We are trying to make a change in our house and with our friends. Everyone lets do something!!!

Likes (0)