Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 21 Feb 10 10:06am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Chicken in Coconut Milk

Thai Chicken in Coconut Milk
Inspired by Carolyn Dunne's (1989) "The Semi-Vegetarian CookBook" , Bantam Books, Sydney, ISBN: 0 947189 52 1

This is a carry-over from a topic on the Food Advice forum.

-500g/ around 1 lb. chicken fillets skinned and cut into thin strips
-1 tin (can) 400g (around 13 fl. oz) coconut milk
-1/2 cup lemon juice
-2 red chillis (small, hot, bird's eye etc type) BUT vary to taste *
-2 stalks lemon grass (root end only) finely chopped (OR, use one 1/2 of one of  the squeezed lemons - ie. the priorly washed squeezed out shell)**
-2 tabs (Aus) = just less than 3 US/ European Tabs coriander (cilantro), finely chopped (we like coriander so I use a whole bunch)
-Freshly ground black pepper
-1 teaspoon fish sauce (nam pla)

Plus: 2-3 tabs, coriander (cilantro) chopped for serving

Place coconut milk, lemon juice, chillis (to taste) , lemon grass (or lemon halves) , coriander, and black pepper in a saucepan and simmer for ~ 10 mins. It will split, but thats OK.

Add chicken to the sauce and poach for around 10-15 mins or until tender (don't cook too quickly or you'll end up with rubber) and don't cook for too long or you'll end up with more of the same.

Add fish sauce, stir. Sprinkle with the extra cilantro (coriander).  Serve with rice (we use jasmine rice, you could use brown, basmati or whatever rice you like) and a spicy cucumber salad).

*One of the good things about this dish is that you can vary the heat according to the people eating. Add more or less chilli to the recipe (and/or) serve extra chilli (paste sambal)/Tabasco at the table for those who prefer more heat. I also have extra fish sauce at the table for those who like more tang.

** Purists would shudder, but my kids prefer me to use the washed hollowed out lemon shells (from which I've squeezed the lemon juice) than lemon grass. Let's keep that our little secret. We also like it extra lemony, so I use 4-6 lemon halves (remove with kitchen tongs and give them a squeeze as you do so).

I serve this in pasta / soup bowls. The kids put the rice on the bottom of the bowl and then the sort of broth and then after tasting etc they add the chicken.

I have been cooking this for my now (almost) 22 yr old daughter since she was 5 years old. It's her favourite meal and one that she requests for birthdays, comfort food and special events. It's good in that the heat can be contained or go completely 'unrestrained" according to the amount of chilli you add to the recipe or that you add as an individual at the table. 

I double the 'sauce'/soup/broth component, 'cause I know that's what my family really want- the sauce and the rice with the chicken to be as more of a garnish than the main attraction.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 21 Feb 10 11:57am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Chicken in Coconut Milk

That sounds really delicious, Maree  thumbsup   Must give it a go  big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 21 Feb 10 2:40pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

oh yeah, we're going to try that! Thanks Maree!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 21 Feb 10 3:09pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Thanks Maree.  That sounds like a do-able dish for a novice in that type of food to start with.  I've never really cooked with coconut milk, but I'll give it a go.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 21 Feb 10 5:58pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Was wondering what to do with that chicken I have thawing in the fridge.  Now I have an excuse to buy some jasmine rice.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 21 Feb 10 6:09pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I was looking for other recipes to do with coconut milk I really love using it. Mr Grumps is sending me jamaican peas to make with it, but as I wait for those I can get a can to make chicken with.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 22 Feb 10 4:14am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Happy to share, guys. Just dont freak when it splits- when adding all of that lemon juice to coconut milk- waddaya expect? it works out in the end and *don't* over cook the chicken/cook too quickly- poach it gently. Enjoy!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Sat 27 Feb 10 3:10pm

chessie messie

Member since Sat 27 Feb 10

i make an extremly nice salmon with coconut rice. I like the chicken coated in coconut milk but the salmon works extremely well with the coconut rice x lol thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 27 Sep 10 5:56pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I'm having this tonight I am really craving it lately, I've made it a few times now and it's such a comforter
yummy

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 28 Sep 10 2:33am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

I make a really nice thai chicken curry with basil:

500g chicken, diced or stripped (whichever you prefer)
1 white onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 red chillies, diced
1cup basil leaves, shredded
2tbs coriander seeds, finely crushed
1cup coconut milk
1tsp sugar

Stir-fry onion, garlic and chilli until tender. Add coriander seeds. Put aside in separate bowl.
Cook chicken until still slightly pink in the middle.
Add cooked onion/garlic/chilli & coriander. Add shredded basil and still until starting to wilt.
Add coconut milk and sugar and leave to simmer for 5-10mins.

Serve with fluffy white rice and pappadums (also good with naan bread if you can eat it).

Likes (0)