Jamie Oliver

forum: Bacon

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 06 Mar 10 12:46am

jono1798

Member since Fri 05 Mar 10

How doi I cure pork ribs?

I'm living in the States and dearly miss the Bacon Ribs from home, ( Wexford, Ireland)
How do I go about curing pork ribs to make them into bacon??

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 14 Mar 10 7:02pm

quickmealhelp

Occupation food writer & recipe developer
From Pennsylvania, USA
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Re: How doi I cure pork ribs?

Good question! One that my amateur-butcher-hubby would luv to help you figure out too.  wink  Found this article from Mother Earth News on 'cutting and curing pork' that might help get you started ...?   bit.ly/7q4fez

Best of luck!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 08 Apr 11 5:04pm

Keith Molloy

Member since Fri 08 Apr 11

There is a new product available in Ireland which ia "Fully Cooked Bacon Ribs" produced by Butchers Jack & Keith Molloy. They take 3 minutes in the microwave and taste great. now available in most supermarkets. Contact keithmolloy300 gmail.com for more details.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 08 Apr 11 5:08pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

We managed to find some smoked ribs which tasted like bacon. I would suggest getting the racks of pork ribs and smoking them in a smoker, I'm not sure if this will work as I haven't managed to try it yet due to not being able to find wood chips here.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 08 Apr 11 5:46pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Not trying to start anything here but why is it that when some people go to another country, they  want the food from home instead of what that country has to offer?  Reminds me of the movie Shirley Valentine when she gets to Greece all the tourists are complaining about the local food and wanting something from home. 
Like I said, I'm not trying to start anything but I just find it odd that someone wouldn't take the opportunity to venture out with his pallet.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 08 Apr 11 9:30pm

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

Yeah, I know what you mean. Like in Shirley Valentine we get people here who will simply not try the local food and will only eat egg and chips.

At home we eat a lot of different cuisines, it mostly depends on what is available. There are things you crave every now and again though when you live abroad for a long time. Fortunately the things we craved the most are either available locally or we know how to make them.

Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas is something we make at home about every couple of months. We also do a really good Steak and Kidney Pudding. We can get Pork Pies, Pork Scratchings and a fairly good quality Ham, though I really do miss the Ham on the bone I used to get from the local butcher when I lived in the UK.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 08 Apr 11 11:24pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I know if I was gone from the states for any length of time I would get a big craving for some good Mexican food.  It reminded me of when my brother brought his family out to visit several years ago.  They wouldn't eat anyplace except for the chain restaurants they had back home.  They did manage to choke down some homemade pasta with homemade pesto, the basil for which we grew here.   lol

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 09 Apr 11 7:43am

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

I guess I'm lucky that my parents were quite adventurous when it came to food. Wherever we traveled we ate local. My partners parents were the same. We will both eat most things. I'll draw the line at insects, she draws the like with certain types of seafood. You should have seen her face when I did some cuttlefish for the kids on the fist day of Lent. She agreed with me though that they looked like giant cockroaches.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 03 Jan 12 12:15am

sly bacon

Member since Mon 02 Jan 12

I too used to miss the Bacon Ribs when I moved to Canada from UK. I have since found a way to do my own. I buy a product from our local supermarket called Ready Cure. (There are other varieties of this compound out there. In the States it is called "pink salt" or insta cure N0 1) First cut the ribs (two full sheets) into portions of four bones to each piece I then mix about 10 tablespoons of ready cure into a gallon of water in a non reactive (plastic or stainless steel) pot or container with a well fitting lid. Place the rib pieces into the brine ensuring that they are completely covered. Put a plate or some other sterile weight over the top pieces to ensure they stay covered by the brine. Put the pot in the fridge for seven to ten days. Take them out of the fridge and rinse them well under a running cold water tap. Pat them dry with paper towel and refrigerate until required. You can freeze any surplus as long as they are well wrapped. We boil them for twenty minutes in a pressure cooker and serve them with boiled cabbage and chips. (french fries) Just love those chip butties. smile

Likes (0)