forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 23 Mar 10 11:27pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Slow Cooker/Crock Pot

I finally broke down and bought a slow cooker to help me with those really busy evenings when dinner is a real challenge, but I haven't done a lot of research on how to use it.

Can I use it for the stew recipes in MoF? I am assuming that I can just throw everything in, put it on low for the day and it will work out. Thoughts?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 23 Mar 10 11:43pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Re: Slow Cooker/Crock Pot

Mmmm, haven't used one for ages, mine packed up and never replaced but for best results fry off meat, onions etc first then add boiling stock. I dont think bunging in all cold is the way to go. Dont forget to flour meat to thicken as this way of cooking doesn't evaporate.
Makes good porridge, put in pot before going to bed.
Steams puddings....christmas and meat, removes the worry of boiling dry.
Great piece of kit, but one wouldn't want to be frying  at 8am and then off to work wreaking of onions.
Am I making sense........its been a long day hmm

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 23 Mar 10 11:53pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada

Thanks Mincepie. I agree about the onions...

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 24 Mar 10 12:06am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

PS makes fabulous milk puddings, rice, macaroni if thats your thing, love love sago sadly cant find it anywhere, totally out of fashion
I'm waiting for the comeback. We've had the lamb shank revieval, belly pork and the likes.........it all comes round again, just needs one celeb chef to use it.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 24 Mar 10 8:01am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Hi, SLB,
I use mine alot.  There are two basic things to remember, and I'm sure you already know them--brown the meat first in a skillet or on a grill for more appetizing color and better flavor, and be sure the recipe has a little moisture (though not always).  But if you are just winging something, it's good to follow those 2 rules.  When in doubt, add less moisture rather than more, because it doesn't reduce. 

You can just pile everything in cold from the fridge and turn it on and leave it all day.  You are more likely to have success for longer on low than a shorter time on high.  You can leave pretty much anything on low all day. 

I have been experimenting really heavily with two methods in the crockpot: first grilling or partially smoking meat, and then finishing with a long braise in the crockpot (nummy) and sous vide at home.  Let me know if either of those interests you, I don't want to yammer on needlessly.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 24 Mar 10 3:53pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

http://www.amazon.ca/Best-Cooker-Cookbo … 0811866572 I have this cookbook and I like it a lot. What's nice is that there isn't a ton of things to do so your steps are quick. If you see it at a book store, flip through it.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 24 Mar 10 6:54pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada

runwestierun wrote:

Hi, SLB,
I use mine alot.  There are two basic things to remember, and I'm sure you already know them--brown the meat first in a skillet or on a grill for more appetizing color and better flavor, and be sure the recipe has a little moisture (though not always).  But if you are just winging something, it's good to follow those 2 rules.  When in doubt, add less moisture rather than more, because it doesn't reduce. 

You can just pile everything in cold from the fridge and turn it on and leave it all day.  You are more likely to have success for longer on low than a shorter time on high.  You can leave pretty much anything on low all day. 

I have been experimenting really heavily with two methods in the crockpot: first grilling or partially smoking meat, and then finishing with a long braise in the crockpot (nummy) and sous vide at home.  Let me know if either of those interests you, I don't want to yammer on needlessly.

Thanks RWR - I'd love to know more about the braising. I'm trying ribs today. I broiled them first and then threw them in the crock pot with some onions and barbeque sauce. I have no idea if it will work but I've got some leftovers in the fridge as backup smile

Thanks for the advice!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 24 Mar 10 6:55pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada

bcrain wrote:

http://www.amazon.ca/Best-Cooker-Cookbook-Easy-Make/dp/0811866572 I have this cookbook and I like it a lot. What's nice is that there isn't a ton of things to do so your steps are quick. If you see it at a book store, flip through it.

I will, thank you! How was the quinoa?

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 24 Mar 10 7:05pm

JudithKlinger

Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Ciao!  Do a trial run while you are home just to see how low the low goes.  Mine does not go low enough, so I've resorted to putting the thing in the oven (the crockery part that lifts out,not the whole unit!) and keeping that at 150F. Dopey, but true.
Its also great for a bolognese sauce, braised lamb shanks, ham shanks and bean soups.
Let me know if you need recipes.

Judith

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 24 Mar 10 7:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I like the idea of using partially bbq'ed smoky elements westie.  I grill extra bell peppers and onions, freeze and use later, should also work in the slow cooker.

The high setting on mine is 350 F/180 C.  It works fine for a 3 - 4 hour braise.

I prefer the slow cooker over using the stovetop for cooking legumes.

Likes (0)