forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 14 May 10 2:08pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Recipes from the Food Revolution cookbook

I just got my copy of the Food Revolution cookbook and I thought we could share what recipes we've tried from it.

Last night I made the crispy garlic chicken and it was delicious.
The recipe called for me to make my own breadcrumbs using crackers which I didn't have so I used pita chips instead.  It also asked that I add 2tbsp of butter to the breadcrumb mix but it didn't specify for it to be cold or melted.  So I melted it and then added it and it turned out fine.

Excellent recipe!  I know my children will love this when I get around to having them.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 17 May 10 2:18pm

etoille

Member since Mon 17 May 10

Re: Recipes from the Food Revolution cookbook

koukouvagia wrote:

I just got my copy of the Food Revolution cookbook and I thought we could share what recipes we've tried from it.

Last night I made the crispy garlic chicken and it was delicious.
The recipe called for me to make my own breadcrumbs using crackers which I didn't have so I used pita chips instead.  It also asked that I add 2tbsp of butter to the breadcrumb mix but it didn't specify for it to be cold or melted.  So I melted it and then added it and it turned out fine.

Excellent recipe!  I know my children will love this when I get around to having them.

Sounds really nice koukouvagia, glad you improvised, you see to me that is what cooking is all about - using what ingredients are to hand in the larder, I rarely have every single item indicated in a recipe,  and just "go for it" doing the best I can. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 18 May 10 1:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Last night I made the chicken fajitas.  Again I didn't have lime so I substituted lemon and I didn't have cilantro because I hate it  lol .  Very adaptable recipe and tasted fantastic.

I am so glad to see so many Indian inspired recipes in the book.  I have not experimented much with far eastern cuisine and look forward to trying them.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 18 May 10 8:01pm

TracieTrim

Member since Wed 07 Apr 10

I substitute something in almost every recipe, too.  Mainly because I am horrible at meal planning and everything is last minute, so I'm never prepared.

Here's what I've tried:

The white wine chicken stew.  YUM!!!! I actuall make that when I have leftover roasted or grilled chicken.  It calls for fresh chicken thighs, but it's REALLY good with leftover chicken just all torn up.

Classic Tomato Spaghetti and also the spaghetti and meatballs. Good!

Macaroni and Cauliflower Cheese Bake. I LOVED it, but my kids didn't.  I think the only reason they didn't was because they could see the parsley in it and kept saying they didn't want to eat the leaves.  So, I may just leave out the parsley and try it again.  (although I think it will taste a lot different without it)

I used the "Hardly and prep shrim stir fry" recipe, but used chicken instead of shrimp, frozen veggies I had on hand and instead of 5 spice powder I just threw in some random spices (I think I used cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves...hehe)  IT was WONDERFUL!!!

I made a chopped salad...I was the only one who liked it.

I make the Cracking Burgers all the time and they are great!

I make the perfect roast chicken (the first time I've roasted a chicken!) often and have tried the perfect roast beef once.  Both are great and SO easy!

Roasted potatoes, parsnips and carrots....LOVED it!

I make the yorkshire puddings all the time now because my 3 and 4 year old ask for them.  Being American, I don't totally know what I'm supposed to do with them, so we just do all sorts of things.  Last time I made the chicken stew I poured it over them.  A couple times my husband made some boston cream and filled the puddings....oh my goodness....best thing ever!!!!

Best ever french beans....they are!

Broiled Trout topped with mustard and oats.  Ok...I'm not a fish person, but my kids love it, so I try.  All I had was frozen talapia fillets.  So I used those.  The first try I burnt them to a crisp.  Luckily, it's fast and easy and my second try worked perfectly and it was delicious!!!

I think that's it so far!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 18 May 10 8:35pm

luckiest1

Member since Fri 19 Jun 09

I tend to improvise with whatever ingredients I have on hand, too.  Tonight I am doing a scaled-down version of the Incredible Roasted Shoulder Of Lamb, using only 2 small chops, wrapped in foil with garlic and rosemary, in the toaster oven.  I wish I could turn the rest of the family on to this lovely meat, but they aren't as adventurous as I , it seems.

I have been cooking my way through the book for almost 9 months, and have probably made about 25% of the recipes, mostly with great results.  If you want to check out my attempts at cooking Jamie's recipes, you can read all about them on my blog:

http://cookingjamie.blogspot.com/

Likes (0)