#1 Fri 21 May 10 6:33pm

m.reno

Occupation Student
From Lebanon
Member since Mon 03 May 10

can you over beat a cake?

can you over beat a cake?
and if you can, how does it become?
i think that i beat my cake too much today: it was supposed to be darker in colour (chocolate cake) and spongy. it was a lighter than ususal and the border was crunchy.

did i over beat it?
thanks! smile

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 21 May 10 6:37pm

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

Re: can you over beat a cake?

Don't think it had to do with beating it...but with your oven...or you did not use exactly the amount of ingredients (use a scale)mentioned in the recipe? Crunchy crust can be too much sugar? or different placement in oven...usually when it is dry too little butter? can be outside temperature even or the temperature of your ingredients!!!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 21 May 10 6:40pm

m.reno

Occupation Student
From Lebanon
Member since Mon 03 May 10

i've made this cake many times and it always works. i don't usually beat the eggs until they become light and fluffy, but this time i did. could that be the reason?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 21 May 10 6:42pm

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

Never heard this...but if there is less air in you cake it will not be as fluffy...more solid ...

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 21 May 10 7:48pm

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

When making a cake, you should beat the &^$%**^ out of the butter, sugar and eggs.  The more the better.  After adding the flour, you should beat it only enough to mix.  Otherwise it will be tough.

Your cake should have been better if you beat the eggs more.  A crunchy crust sound like too much sugar or too hot an oven temperature.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 21 May 10 8:03pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

you may want to get a thermometer to measure the heat in the oven.  Although, you set it at a certain temp, doesn't mean it is that temp.  Your oven may need a new thermostat.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 May 10 8:06pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

FOLD the flour in to the egg/butter mix...you really don't want to loose the air that  has been beaten in..

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 21 May 10 10:25pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Chocolatl is right: beat the butter, sugar and eggs until you got lots of air in. But then just just mix enough to blend in the flour.
Beating will make the cake tough. What you want to accomplish with kneading bread dough: forming gluten and making an elastic dough is what you want to avoid with cake batters. A rubbery elastic cake would be very unpleasant. It would also be heavier and more rubbery than usual, as the wheat would stick more and rise less.

But what you describe doesn't sound like the result of overbeating. Sounds like the ratio of ingredients was slightly off (so that it became lighter) and maybe the temperature a little different. Not sure.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 21 May 10 11:36pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

You can absolutely overbeat a cake.  Howver, in this case, I'm more likely to agree with Susanne and chocolatl and suspect something in the recipe went wrong.

The prime example of overbeaten cake mixture is pointy muffins/fairy cakes.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 22 May 10 12:40am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

If the outer edge was crunchy it's because the outside of the cake gets hotter before the middle....did the middle seem higher?  You can purchase at stores that sell bakeware a strip of material (its like a potholder sort of) that fits on the outside of the pan. It keeps the  metal from heating as fast so your cake its more even and it keeps the edges from getting crunchy.

Likes (0)