Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 10 Jun 10 12:59pm

twinklestarfish

Member since Sat 29 May 10

Curdling Curry

How do I stop my curry from curdling?  I usually just throw in a combination of the following, will cook in a wok, slow cooker or saucepan.  I don't really follow a recipe (could that be the problem?!?)

Cream/Evaporated milk/Coconut milk and/or cream
Red curry paste
Fish Sauce
Coconut oil
Peanut butter or peanuts
Curry-able veggies and some meat of some kind, along with whatever looks good at the time!  I sometimes throw sour cream in at the end if I've made it too hot (just on mine, hubby likes it spicy)

I'm SURE I'm doing what I always used to but I stopped making it for ages, and when I started again, the milk base always curdles.
Any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 Jun 10 1:06pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Curdling Curry

I only ever use coconut milk..... it does curdle but if you cook it slow and long...... the water evaporates and it turns back into creamy.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 10 Jun 10 2:13pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Charmaine Solomon's advice for coconut cream in curries: don't boil hard, don't put the lid on!
Even when you have turned it off, don't put the lid on until it has cooled.

I generally add either coconut cream (and follow Charmiaine's advice) or yoghurt that I add in gradually, one spoon at a time, and never on high heat.

I rarely add them first thing in a curry, only when frying Thai curry paste in the thick coconut cream.

Maybe add it after the first fry, when things are getting to a gentle simmer stage and see if that works. Try no lid!

Good luck! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 Jun 10 3:32pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

You said you throw in sour cream which can break in a hot sauce.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 Jun 10 3:43pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I always thicken with a little cornflour before adding cream/ sour cream to recipes.

A tip I got from watching an Aussie chef on T.V. to stop sauce splitting. smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 Jun 10 5:14pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I have just now been reading the loveliest Sri Lankan recipe book where the grandmother used to say to keep stirring of it would split.
Shammy's idea would be good if you can't keep stirring! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 11 Jun 10 8:41am

twinklestarfish

Ok, keep the heat down, leave the lid off and stir often!  Thanks guys, will let you know how I go- I will give it a go Sunday afternoon.  It's getting cold here, so a big hot curry will be just perfect!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 Jun 10 11:34am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

crossed  smile Looking forward to the pictures! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 12 Jun 10 5:40am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

I have just now been reading the loveliest Sri Lankan recipe book where the grandmother used to say to keep stirring of it would split.
Shammy's idea would be good if you can't keep stirring! smile

After seeing Rick Stein in Sri Lanka Im so turned on by their food.  If you find a great recipe Joy please share it.  kiss

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 15 Jun 10 12:03am

twinklestarfish

It worked!  I left the lid off, kept stirring, and actually took it off the heat to add the yoghurt (I stole Joy's idea and used a Greek yoghurt for the sauce, just to try something different).  I threw up a better explanation on my blog. 

An unfortunate side effect is that I'm now addicted to Greek yoghurt!  I had it in my oats for brekky, and it's now a staple in my lunch, with some fruit and honey.  YUM!

Thanks again for the help guys smile

My next big food attempt with be the Chorizo & potato omlette- I've made it before, it's really easy and very yummy smile

Likes (0)