forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#261 Wed 21 Jul 10 11:26am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Risotto

madamada wrote:

the real risotto wins te real paella thread ............... with many more pages hmm does that mean real paella is less worth than real risotto shocked  roll

Obviously risotto is the king of rice dishes.  cool


then again it is a true poverty food, so it always blows my mind when people regard it as some kind of fancy thing. I remember eating risotto alot when my Dad would get layed off in the winter from his construction job.  Of course in my family risotto; only ever meant risotto made with homemade brodo and sugo/meat sauce .
dribble  It is a great way to use bolognese/meat sauce  if you have made a large batch but are tired of pasta.


The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#262 Wed 21 Jul 10 11:56am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: Risotto

Thanks Wine-O, I feel better now.

Ashen, I know I am new to this, but how do you include bolognese sauce in a risotto ?

    Likes (0)

#263 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:04pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Risotto

Ashen wrote:

madamada wrote:

the real risotto wins te real paella thread ............... with many more pages hmm does that mean real paella is less worth than real risotto shocked  roll

Obviously risotto is the king of rice dishes.  cool


then again it is a true poverty food, so it always blows my mind when people regard it as some kind of fancy thing. I remember eating risotto alot when my Dad would get layed off in the winter from his construction job.  Of course in my family risotto; only ever meant risotto made with homemade brodo and sugo/meat sauce .
dribble  It is a great way to use bolognese/meat sauce  if you have made a large batch but are tired of pasta.

I'm having that today....  dribble  I made Alice Twain worthy bolognese last week and fancy it with rice today, it's total comfort food.

    Likes (0)

#264 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:09pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Risotto

I have gone further and like better to boil rice al dente and make a fresh veg sauce full of aromas ............. where I toss the rice and sutée it like you do with pasta, if the evo oil is the right one and the vegs are fresh cropped  wink  try and tell us

    Likes (0)

#265 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:11pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Risotto

madamada wrote:

I have gone further and like better to boil rice al dente and make a fresh veg sauce full of aromas ............. where I toss the rice and sutée it like you do with pasta, if the evo oil is the right one and the vegs are fresh cropped  wink  try and tell us

thats what I do !!!

    Likes (0)

#266 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:12pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Risotto

thumbsup  thumbsup bravaaaa

now let's wait for the accademia della crusca dei risotti to give us bad notes hmm  oops  roll  crossed

Last edited by madamada (Wed 21 Jul 10 12:13pm)

    Likes (0)

#267 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:18pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Risotto

madamada wrote:

thumbsup  thumbsup bravaaaa

now let's wait for the accademia della crusca dei risotti to give us bad notes hmm  oops  roll  crossed

lol  lol  lol  ho le lecrime bella questa!!! La scuola è finita siamo in vacanza......  lol  lol

    Likes (0)

#268 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:50pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Risotto

let's enjoy our holiday ricreazioneeeeeeeeeeeeeee Deb big_smile

    Likes (0)

#269 Thu 29 Jul 10 2:22am

Matine

Member
Member since Thu 29 Jul 10

Re: Risotto

Hello from Mexico to everyone!

About the stock: of course you can have to use a good one, but does it have to be unsalted as Jamie's recipe of "easy chicken stock" implies? I'll appreciate a lot your ideas about this, because I'm about to make the artichoke risotto (for my boyfriend's boss!) and of course I don't want to oversalt the dish.

Thanks a lot!

Maria

    Likes (0)

#270 Thu 29 Jul 10 3:10am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Risotto

Maria, I always season my chicken broth with salt.  It brings out the flavors in the broth.  Just don't over-salt.  Remember, you can always add but you can't subtract so taste as you go.

Earthmum, heat up leftover bolognese in a sauce pot.  When it starts to simmer, add the rice and stir until all the grains are covered. (I use a 1:1 ration of sauce to rice)
then start adding meat broth as you would for any risotto and end up by adding butter and parmigiano off heat.

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.