#31 Fri 25 Jun 10 7:28pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Risotto

mrpab wrote:

so ... risotto is just like paella, you can make it any way you want? - fabulous!!! mrgreen

edit: now I'm really asking for trouble! shocked

No, there's set rules for paella, however it depends on regions of Spain. Risotto can even be made with chocolate and in Italy they experiment with it alot.
Here it's very rare to experiment with such a set dish like paella.

Provoke me MrP I can take it  kiss  kiss  tongue

Likes (0)

#32 Fri 25 Jun 10 7:32pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

... as long as AskCy isn't looking in, we should be OK ...

Likes (0)

#33 Fri 25 Jun 10 7:46pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I like beer with fish

and now wink  hmm

and never know what I'll put in my risotto
and now

and often do not use wine at all shocked

...........I'd better go and see my attempt of pizza

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 25 Jun 10 7:47pm

Kittycat63

Member since Fri 25 Jun 10

I'd always heard that risotto was tricky to make so even though I loved it I'd always been a bit afraid to try making it myself!  I braved it a couple of years ago though and have realized that it's incredibly easy to do!  I make some vegetable stock and have that simmering on the stove.  Then in a wok I sautee some sliced onions in olive oil until they're slightly caramelized, stir in a packet of Arborio rice and toast that lightly for a couple of minutes with the onions, then start stirring in the stock a bit at a time, enough for the rice to stay moist and absorb it slowly before adding more.  Whilst doing that I add the seasonings, i.e. parsley, salt and pepper, and keep stirring in the stock.  Then I cook about 1Ib of sliced mushrooms with a little butter in the microwave for a couple of minutes.  When I take them out I add a little salt and stir that in and leave them to one side for a few minutes because the salt seems to make the buttery sauce they're in browner which gives a nice colour to the risotto.  Then I stir those in, still adding stock as I go along until all the stock has been used up.  I switch off the heat at that point and let the risotto settle slightly before adding a good amount of grated mature cheddar, a good dash of lemon juice and either a little bit of full milk to make it a bit more creamy or sour cream.  That's it and it's absolutely delicious!!   tongue

P.S.  All the recipes I've ever read for risotto say that you should use wine and parmesan cheese but I've found that it's not at all necessary to use either of those and mature cheddar grated into it tastes just as nice, if not better than, parmesan!

Last edited by Kittycat63 (Fri 25 Jun 10 7:50pm)

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 25 Jun 10 8:12pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

mrpab wrote:

dear Sergio: I was joking! mrgreen

Dear MrPab: I know you were and in fact I wasnt referring to you about the word "blasphemy" cause it wasnt you who used it in the first place. It was Alice.  hmm

Speaking of unusual words yesterday the word "craving" concerning food showed up in another thread, I believe "summer food" was the name. Have you got anything to do with that "craving" ? big_smile  wink

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 25 Jun 10 8:17pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

nope, it wasn't me - but doesn't everyone have cravings? wink

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 25 Jun 10 8:19pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain

ok so given the tagic events of the world cup, let me get a little patriotic and just say as an italian native and having learned to cook under the wing of 2 generations of italian women........I wouldn't tell an english person how to do their yorkshire puddings...... an american how to do their thanksgiving turkey or an Ozzy how to do their BBQ..... or a spaniard how to make paella...

have I made it clear enough????

big_smile

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 25 Jun 10 8:36pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Yes ma'am. smile

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 25 Jun 10 9:11pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain

wink  lol

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 25 Jun 10 9:22pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

DebDiMaggio wrote:

there's no right or wrong answer with risotto, even in prestigious recipe books you'll find discrepancies..... I'm sure Jamie even does it differently from Gennaro,..... it's a free varied dish....

This is a link to Gennaros website on which there is a short video of him making a chicory risotto.
The area he is working in is his outdoor kitchen and the stock is behind the charcoal burner that he is using to cook the risotto on , the brick area is warm so the stock would remain hot.
http://gennarocontaldo.com/latest-news

dont know if this you tube link will work but give it a go...Jamie Does Venice , the episode in which he cooks risotto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXftNw67dM

Now you can see if they make the risotto in the same way !

Likes (0)