Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:11pm

MrLeady

Member since Sun 18 Jul 10

Substitute for bay leaves???

well tonight im doing steak and chips and was going to make creamy spinnach to go with it. However are useless supermarket had nothing of the sort, so does anybody have a good substitute for bay leaves???

thankyou

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:26pm

Jack the Russel

Member since Sun 13 Jun 10

Re: Substitute for bay leaves???

What are you using the bay leave for? The spinach or the steak?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 21 Jul 10 12:31pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

An equal amount of dried or fresh thyme, ground basil, people also use boldo leaves that has a strong flavor as a bay leaf substitute. I somtimes prefer juniper berries as bay leaf substitute, especially when cooking meat and meat recipes.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 21 Jul 10 1:37pm

MrLeady

sorry the bay leaves are for the spinach, i was going to put them in a pan with some onions and milk, bring it to the boil and then let it sit for abit, but the supermarket had no bay leaves, i have thyme and basil so i will give that a try and see how it turns out haha... would you suggest using both? or one over the other?

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 21 Jul 10 1:40pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Rosemarry? Goes better on steak than bay anyway.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:00pm

MrLeady

ive got the steak marinating in olve oil rosemary black pepper and paprika.... this is for the creamy spinach

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:03pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Just leave it out.  Add some nutmeg to the spinach, it's a classic combination and doesn't need any herbs adding, really.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:04pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Can you buy dried bouquet garni in your store? You could add one of these as they contain bay.

Alternatively, as Anna said, grate some nutmeg into the milk, as it goes very well with creamy sauces and spinach.

Last edited by john_lee (Wed 21 Jul 10 2:08pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:06pm

MrLeady

Anna wrote:

Just leave it out.  Add some nutmeg to the spinach, it's a classic combination and doesn't need any herbs adding, really.

thats what i was intially thinking, but then thought it could lack that flavour which is why i made this.

i have had a couple of mates tell me to just leave it out, so im thinking of just putting some onion in the milk with some salt, black pepper and nutmeg for flavour.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:10pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

You could try putting some parsley stalks in the milk too, and try studding the onion with a couple of cloves, which will also go nicely with a creamy. nutmeggy spinach dish.

Likes (0)