Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Jul 10 3:26pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

how to thicken a sauce

I have been very adventures with one pot cooking lately and have had some quite good results.  My one problem is how to thicken a sauce for example if I cook a chicken in white wine herbs etc in a slow cooker, I end up with a stock, I want then to make this into a cream sauce.  The recipe says to stir in the cream and serve, but this results in a very this sauce, and we do rather like them a little thicker.  How can I achieve this, I did try pouring it into a saucepan and thickening with cornflour but this made a floury taste.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Jul 10 3:29pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: how to thicken a sauce

corn starch is a thickener or you could make a small roux and add it as well.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Jul 10 3:32pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Jul 10 3:46pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
From England

Thanks Ladies, do I use corn flour or normal white flour though ?.

may they way cohphanta, I was looking in Jamies America lastnight and he has a recipe for "dirtyRice" and remembered reading your posts on it yesterday so showed it to my eldest.  He thought it looked interesting and wants me to make one  thumbsup , this from the fussy one in the house  exclaim

Gem

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Jul 10 3:50pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Just the usual every day white flour  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Jul 10 4:00pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
From England

thanks Kye smile

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Jul 10 4:01pm

Kye

Forum super champ

I must admit that i have never been familiar with 'pain perdu' but had a go at this one on the week-end, which was delicious:

6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
10 to 12 thick (1/2 to 1/3 inch) slices day-old French or Italian bread
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup (optional)

1.  In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon until blended. Arrange the bread in a large shallow baking dish, layering or slightly overlapping the slices, if necessary. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and let stand for at least 30 minutes, carefully turning the bread with a wide spatula and rearranging it so it is evenly moistened halfway through the standing time.
   2. Position one oven rack in the upper third of the oven and one in the lower third and preheat the oven to 400F (205C). Put 2 tablespoons of the butter on each of two baking sheets with sides and place in the oven until the butter melts and pans are hot, about 5 minutes. Tilt the pans so the butter covers them evenly. Remove from the oven.
   3. Place 5 to 6 slices of the soaked bread on each of the hot pans, spacing them evenly. Bake for 15 minutes. Take the pans out of the oven and turn each piece of bread over with a wide spatula. Return the pans to the oven, placing the one from the top rack on the bottom rack on the top, and bake until the bread is puffed and evenly browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.
   4. Transfer to a platter, dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup, if desired.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 Jul 10 5:39pm

TSR

From Serbia

Sourcream is also great, it's thicker than regular cream, and also gives it a bit of a zing. When adding cream be sure to reduce the stock (let it simmer slowly without a lid), and let it cool just a bit before adding the cream, otherwise it tends to clot, which doesn't thicken well.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 27 Jul 10 6:14pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

after making any arrosto I have been taught to take the fat away (oil at the surface) then spread a little flour on the bottom of the pan and clean it all around with a wooden spoon on the fire until there is a sort of thick dry beciamella and the pan is clean. Now the flour is cooked and you will not taste its savor, you can add some water and let it simmer for 20 mins to reduce it .............. you'll have a thick brownish tasty sauce for your arrosto

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 27 Jul 10 6:15pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I never use cinnamon in my lost bread.....I have used almond extract a couple of times to add a different twist.

*I always use plain white flour for my roux

Likes (0)