forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 01 Aug 10 8:36pm

Kado

Member since Sun 18 Jul 10

What to do with egg whites?

I regularly make custard for my boys and always use the left over egg whites to make either a pavlova or Eton Mess.  Whilst nobody in the family is complaining about having to eat so much pav, I'm actually getting quite bored of it.

What else can I do with my left over egg whites (6 of them) apart from meringue and scrambled egg whites?  Any interesting ideas as to how else they might be used?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 01 Aug 10 8:39pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: What to do with egg whites?

angel food cake.....

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 01 Aug 10 9:58pm

Jack the Russel

Member since Sun 13 Jun 10

How about:

Coconut kisses, these are lovely coconut biscuits (kind of …)

3 egg whites
210 gram sugar
70 gram coconut flakes
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flour

Whisk the egg whites with the sugar until you can “turn the bowl”.
Carefully stir in the other ingredients.

Line a baking tray with non stick paper.
Place little "spoon-full(s)" of the mixture on the paper.

Bake on a medium heat until they are brownish on the outside, but still soft and tender in the middle.

It looks like this:
http://www.gragger.at/xedosug13/sesDeL- … detail.jpg

----------------

Or floating island of course.

Last edited by Jack the Russel (Sun 01 Aug 10 10:17pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 01 Aug 10 10:17pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Meringues are nice

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 01 Aug 10 11:27pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

julia child had a recipe for an eggwhite only cheese souffle.. the only internet version I can find is at the link following.. it is in the cookbook " Mastering the art of french cooking "

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/283083

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Aug 10 12:56am

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

An alternative pavlova is this delicious chocolate raspberry pavlova from Nigella Lawson:

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_de … px?rid=283

I am not a fan of pavlova, but I love this chocolate version; no need to use so much cream, about half would be fine. I also left of the raspberries because I had none.

And another of my favourite Nigella recipes for using up egg whites, which she made up in order to use up egg whites:

Chocolate Macaroons (these are like little chocolate biscuits and so easy to make!)

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
200g ground almonds
30g cocoa powder (use best quality you can get, I always use Dutch Cocoa)
175g icing sugar

Method:
- Heat your oven to 200 degrees celcius and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the (unbeaten) egg whites with ground almonds, cocoa and icing sugar. It is right when the mix is sticky but combined.
- Roll the mixture into small balls (wet your hands regularly to keep the mix from sticking to them). Place the balls on the lined baking sheet a little apart to allow for some spreading.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 11 minutes. They will still be soft as they harden as they cool. They will still be a bit gooey inside which makes them delicious.

This recipe makes about 25.

I have also had the dilemma of how to use up egg whites as I make ice cream a lot, which only needs egg yolks.

Egg whites can also be frozen. I do this in little freezer bags, usually 2 in each so I know how many are in them, or you could mark the bags according to how many egg whites are in them.

Last edited by jutta73 (Mon 02 Aug 10 12:57am)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Aug 10 2:59am

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I know you said no merengue but Jamie at Home just did eggs and he made a lovely merengue base...whipped up some and put it out on a cookie sheet, cooked it whole and made a base for a dessert.  He topped it with canned pears and made a chocolate sauce to drizzle over it.  It looked delicious!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Aug 10 3:39am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Angel food cake is a great idea!
A lot of sorbets have an egg white in them.
marshmallows?

(I prefer to make the custard with a couple of whole eggs and a couple of egg yolks partly because there will be less egg white left over)

Good luck! smile

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Aug 10 4:30am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I made pasta frolla, an Italian pastry crust, this week which called for a few whole eggs and several egg yolks.  I put the whites in a container, marked how many there were and stuck it in the freezer.  They will keep for awhile. Now I just have remember they're there.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 02 Aug 10 11:08am

Jack the Russel

Member since Sun 13 Jun 10

SonomaEddie wrote:

I made pasta frolla, an Italian pastry crust, this week which called for a few whole eggs and several egg yolks.  I put the whites in a container, marked how many there were and stuck it in the freezer.  They will keep for awhile. Now I just have remember they're there.

I did not know egg whites can be frozen!  Very handy and good to know!

Likes (0)