forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 13 Aug 10 2:35am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Need recipe for chicken thigh fillet, bone in, skinless

Just wondering if any of you could inspire me with a recipe for the above. We usually do a spicy BBQ rub but without the skin that won't work. The OH is kinda over casseroles and rice but Im open to all suggestions. I pulled them out of the freezer by accident and they must be cooked tonight. help

Last edited by Tara (Fri 13 Aug 10 2:36am)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 13 Aug 10 2:45am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Re: Need recipe for chicken thigh fillet, bone in, skinless

It's a bit "casseroley" but you could put them in a baking dish and do Mexican flavours with tinned toms, chilli, red kidney beans or Mediterranean style with toms, olives, capers.  How about tandoori paste and yoghurt?  Asian style with honey/soy sauce marinade?

Open your cupboard (the ones you are going to clean out?) and see what you've got  big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 13 Aug 10 2:47am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I chop up a large onion. IN a large pot put the onion, 1/4 of oil and the chicken and cook it until the chicken is nice and browned. Add water or broth to cover the chicken.  Cook until chicken the liquid is more than 1/2 gone and chicken is done. To add a bit of flavor you could also add smoked sausage or andouille.  If gumbo file is available add that...and voila chicken sausage gumbo. File is just dried and ground sassafrass leaves.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Aug 10 2:48am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

....you can add any seasoning you like....salt, pepper, garlice......etc etc etc

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 13 Aug 10 4:15am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I haven't tried this but I think it would work
SLOW COOKED CHICKEN
(Not sure why it is called slow cooked chicken as it seems pretty fast to me, but that is how I copied it out of the book! smile  )
Anjali Pathak

Heat 3 tbsp oil
fry til crackiling 2 tsp cumin seeds
add 1 1/2 cups onions, diced, and a chopped green chili and saute on medium heat until translucent
add 675g of skinless chicken thighs and fry 5 minutes until sealed all over
add 4 cloves of chopped garlicand 2.3cm grated ginger and fry another 3 or 4 minutes
Then add in:
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1.2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Sprinkle some water over. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Add a little water if too dry, or leave lid off to dry out if too wet Check the chicken is cooked.
Add 2 tsp garam masala and 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander and the juice of half a lemon
Sprinkle with a tsp of roasted cumin seeds. Cover for another couple of minutes.
Serve hot with a sprinkle of more coriander leaves and serve with fresh naan
(or whatever you like)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 13 Aug 10 4:30am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I would take the bone out (it's very easy), or I guess you could leave it in and just add a few mins to the cooking time.  For 5 legs, mix 1/4 cup Mayo with a few tablespoons of grated parm, salt and pepper..  Spread on chicken.  Sprinke with breadcrumbs - if they're seasoned you're almost done, if they're plain sprinkle with some dry or fresh oregano, parsley, thyme, whatever you like.  Bake at 425F for 20 to 25 mins or until the juices run clear.  Bone in will take longer.  The mayo keeps them moist, the breadcrumbs make them crispy.  Works great with skinless boneless chicken breasts too.

Last edited by nanstertoo (Fri 13 Aug 10 4:31am)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 13 Aug 10 5:05am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Wow, thank you so much everyone, these are great ideas!! I'm going to muddle over them all for a while, ask the OH what he feels like, then make what I feel like.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 13 Aug 10 5:11pm

emmadrew

Member since Wed 18 Mar 09

I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention the words 'Nigel' and 'Slater' on a Jamie forum, but his thai chicken curry recipe is fantastic. Just google his name and 'thai curry' and it comes up. Really recommend it.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 13 Aug 10 5:24pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

nanstertoo wrote:

I would take the bone out (it's very easy), or I guess you could leave it in and just add a few mins to the cooking time.  For 5 legs, mix 1/4 cup Mayo with a few tablespoons of grated parm, salt and pepper..  Spread on chicken.  Sprinke with breadcrumbs - if they're seasoned you're almost done, if they're plain sprinkle with some dry or fresh oregano, parsley, thyme, whatever you like.  Bake at 425F for 20 to 25 mins or until the juices run clear.  Bone in will take longer.  The mayo keeps them moist, the breadcrumbs make them crispy.  Works great with skinless boneless chicken breasts too.

I do this with chicken breasts or tenders and it is my family's very favorite chicken dish!  I drizzle a little OO on top to get it crispy and use italian seasoned breadcrumbs.  This is also great a second day heated up and put on a salad!

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 14 Aug 10 4:11am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Thankyou for the inspiration everyone, I didn't get around to cooking them last night but definately will be tonight. We've decided to go with the crumbing idea, but instead of mayo Im marinating in buttermilk and Tabasco.

Likes (0)