forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Wed 20 Jul 11 5:22pm

kittymaloo

Member since Wed 20 Jul 11

Re: Food intolerances and allergies

I wondered if some one can help me!! i am allergic to alcohol but love food such as rabbit stew, game pie etc. Does any one know what i can put in my food to substitute the likes of a can of bitter or a bottle of ale ???  yikes  crossed

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 21 Jul 11 11:18am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

kittymaloo wrote:

I wondered if some one can help me!! i am allergic to alcohol but love food such as rabbit stew, game pie etc. Does any one know what i can put in my food to substitute the likes of a can of bitter or a bottle of ale ???  yikes  crossed

That is a tough one. Wine can be replaced by verjuice or stock but I'm not sure about beer replacements....

Likes (0)

#33 Sat 16 Jun 12 3:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I wonder if something yeasty like a little vegemite or marmite would add the flavour you want?
Or would cooking the ale or beer for a while before adding get rid of enough alcohol to make it tolerable? (I'm thinking of simmering it for 20 minutes or so).

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 16 Jun 12 1:38pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

If someone is really allergic to alcohol then it's best not to attempt it. You may be on to something with the vegemite.

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 16 Jun 12 2:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

There's a no-alcohol beer sold here.

Likes (0)

#36 Sat 16 Jun 12 2:21pm

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

well with all the information u guys supplied is great. my nephew has his own intolerances and just sets him haywire. he cant have any gluten, or cane sugar, potatoes tomatoes, no dairy at all. id find it impossible to cook for him but brother jus changes recipes around and everythin is all natural. fresh fruit an vegies, those he's allowed an soy milk. good thing is not just nephew is on diet but whole family so he doesnt feel left out.

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 16 Jun 12 2:38pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Is it truely no-alcohol or has it been taken out. If taken out I'd wonder that you'd still have residue which would cause some people issues.

Likes (0)

#38 Sat 16 Jun 12 2:40pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

greyhound wrote:

well with all the information u guys supplied is great. my nephew has his own intolerances and just sets him haywire. he cant have any gluten, or cane sugar, potatoes tomatoes, no dairy at all. id find it impossible to cook for him but brother jus changes recipes around and everythin is all natural. fresh fruit an vegies, those he's allowed an soy milk. good thing is not just nephew is on diet but whole family so he doesnt feel left out.

I think it's quite important for kids with intolerances to have the family there with them. It's also easier. When we have family functions we go gluten free, lactose free, low amines, low salicylates, and sulfites free. It seems complex from the outside but when you do it day to day it comes naturally.

Last edited by The White Rabbit (Sat 16 Jun 12 2:41pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 16 Jun 12 2:52pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The White Rabbit wrote:

Is it truely no-alcohol or has it been taken out. If taken out I'd wonder that you'd still have residue which would cause some people issues.

I just looked it up and sure enough, there can be a tiny residue of alcohol in things labeled 'non-alcoholic'. Sorry!

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 05 Oct 12 11:48am

domsharp2210

Member since Fri 05 Oct 12

this is much appreciated. my 3 and a half yr old son is allergic to milk as a whole not just lactose. plus intolerant to soya can tolerate very small amounts anything more we know. we've had this since 4mths old. its hard when going through fussy stages as my sonm is quite petite anyway and goes through stages of not eating much, plus just started play school, he is able to tell people what he's not allowed or ask if something is ok, knows not eat anyone elses food. the difficulty arises when he decides as all children do at some point that he would like to eat same as everyone else. i manage to adapt most recipes for the whole family to enjoy but i struggle with such as lasagne, cheesecake plus more. would like some new quick and easy recipes to try, i'm a busy mum of 3 plus step daughter living with us now, hubby works loads hence quick recipes. lol. this site is fab always been big fan of jamie.   thumbsup

Likes (0)