Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Tue 19 Oct 10 10:05pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Any gardening questions for Robin?

I have brought home some hops with dry ripe flowers, if you rub them they are very stiky and have an intense profumo, my terrazza was covered with seeds, I could not but put them in a pot crossed  roll

we already make beer Kostas, but my husband buys all the ingredients, it's already the third time we have homemade beer with our pizza big_smile

Likes (0)

#42 Wed 20 Oct 10 1:17am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

dukegus wrote:

RobinMcaf wrote:

How big is your pot Kostas?

Apparently for Hops it will need to be at least 20 ltrs and still need more watering and feeding than if growing in the ground. They are much happier in the ground. Can you plant it out? Or if not, perhaps plant in some new healthy top soil?

Best, Robin

Got a very big pot like 25lt though the soil that's in it isn't the best. I went to a field and loaded some into the pot smile

I wish I could plant it out Robin, but I live in an apartment and my plants are on pots on the balcony.
New top soil? Like fill the top with new good quality soil? You think I could do something like that?

Cheers

Hi DukeGus,
I bet Robin will be along soon with the best info, but I have been learning pot gardening and it is VERY different from growing things in soil. The earth you dug up from the field will most probably not be working even in your big pot. The advice I got was 2/3 potting mix and 1/3 compost. Watering is also very different, I was used to giving things a good soaking once a week, but with my pots all that did was wash all the nutrients out! I have had to learn to keep them moist with small drinks. Also feeding is vital ~ and I am still trying to get that right!
Every year I am getting better at this, but I still feel like I have my L plates on!
Cheers! smile

Likes (0)

#43 Wed 20 Oct 10 2:22am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Can you and if so how do you separate a rhubarb crown? And can they survive in pots? Also it doesn't really die back in winter here...too warm

Likes (0)

#44 Wed 20 Oct 10 8:02am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

WR I made once many rhubarb plants from the big one a neighbor gave me, just digging it out and separating the hearts you see surrounded by brown more thick envelopping let's say leaves, this should be done in the dormant season, I had also sown some and got to grow plants but they had very thin stems, this spring I bought two plants and they have become huge plantys during summer, I would not divide into little ones yet, but the old one I have needs badly to be separate, the little crowns come out on the surface looking for soil  on their own and vital space
you have reminded it must be done  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 06 Nov 10 4:40pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

dukegus wrote:

RobinMcaf wrote:

How big is your pot Kostas?

Apparently for Hops it will need to be at least 20 ltrs and still need more watering and feeding than if growing in the ground. They are much happier in the ground. Can you plant it out? Or if not, perhaps plant in some new healthy top soil?

Best, Robin

Got a very big pot like 25lt though the soil that's in it isn't the best. I went to a field and loaded some into the pot smile

I wish I could plant it out Robin, but I live in an apartment and my plants are on pots on the balcony.
New top soil? Like fill the top with new good quality soil? You think I could do something like that?

Cheers

Hi DukeGus,
I bet Robin will be along soon with the best info, but I have been learning pot gardening and it is VERY different from growing things in soil. The earth you dug up from the field will most probably not be working even in your big pot. The advice I got was 2/3 potting mix and 1/3 compost. Watering is also very different, I was used to giving things a good soaking once a week, but with my pots all that did was wash all the nutrients out! I have had to learn to keep them moist with small drinks. Also feeding is vital ~ and I am still trying to get that right!
Every year I am getting better at this, but I still feel like I have my L plates on!
Cheers! smile

Joy got here first with excellent advice. I think it will be the soil. It needs to be much richer and to hold water better than the soil in your field. Also little and often for the watering is good in pots. Irrigation drips systems are the best!

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 06 Nov 10 4:47pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

The White Rabbit wrote:

Can you and if so how do you separate a rhubarb crown? And can they survive in pots? Also it doesn't really die back in winter here...too warm

Hi there. I would advice you to lift the crowns between autumn and early spring (usually in November). Use a spade to carefully divide the crown into sections each retaining a piece of the thickened root and one or more growing points. You can grow rhubarb in pots, but it will need to be a large pot because they need a lot of room for the roots to grow and will not be happy in a small pot!

Likes (0)

#47 Fri 22 Jul 11 10:04pm

Sprattykins

Member since Fri 22 Jul 11

Hi...Having grown up in a tower block (and not having any gardening experience) I have spent the last 4 years having my own garden to grow pretty things in, however this year I have made some raised planters and planted loads of veg (too much it turns out) but I am confused by a lot of the different info out there as to when I should dig up the stuff I grow. Also I have no idea about what goes with what while growing...the veg that I like are carrots, potatoes, peas, string beans, beetroot, sweetcorn, peppers (and chillis), onions, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes and I have also grown some herbs in pots on my decking. I have 2 smallish veggie patches and could do with some advice of what to plan with what and if I need to rotate?? they are triangular patches (they blend in that way) and are about1 1/2 mtrs on two sides 2ish metres on the other.

Hope this isn't too much advise needed   hmm and I look forward to hearing from you soonish smile , Oh yeah and I live in Nottinghamshire, UK.

Likes (0)

#48 Fri 22 Jul 11 10:18pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

welcome to the forum Sprattykins, and congratulations on your deciding to grow your vegs.  smile  that's already a great decision, as to what goes with what and how much space they need to grow healthy there are so many combinations one can do according to what you like to eat. I have experienced that winter or fall radicchios need to be not too close developing thus moulds, carrots need sandy soil and watering, last year they grew beautifully under a courgettes plant, tomatoes need space and sun, and and and ..... we could go on for ages, start with what you like and you'll make your own personal experience learning year after year and giving addvice to beginners at your turn

good luck ciao from Italy

Likes (0)

#49 Sat 23 Jul 11 2:08am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Sprattykins,
Your first attempts with your new garden have to be a bit of a hit and miss until you are used to all the elements that will effect your planting and harvesting:
Sun and shadow, wind and soil: how these effect your garden at different times of the year

Then as yours plants grow, some will shade others (which could be good or bad!)
Some would disturb the roots of others when they are pulled up,
Some will bring beneficial insects to your garden...
And so on!

Your four years will stand you in good stead, and you have a lovely adventure ahead!
I do agree that crop rotation is important! You might find this useful:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s972741.htm
smile

Likes (0)

#50 Sat 23 Jul 11 10:46am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I went around that link Joy  thumbsup  thumbsup  smile

Likes (0)