forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 06 Sep 10 1:03pm

lucysp

Member since Mon 06 Sep 10

Cooking with Sweets

Hi everyone,
I wonder if some of the Jamie Oliver Community can help me out.......
I run an old fashioned sweet shop (bahhumbugs) and i often get people in the shop/via our online shop who are buying sweets to use in baking, cake decorating and other recipes, but i've never actually used any of them myself.

Now that the kids have gone back to school i'd like to give some recipes a go using the sweets that i sell and i wondered if any of you could recommend any good recipes which utilise sweets. I know i went to a christening a few years ago where the family used American Hard Gums in a Gumdrop cake and it was delicious, but i'm yet to find the recipe!

Would love to hear any suggestions you may have!

Thanks! wink

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 06 Sep 10 7:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Cooking with Sweets

Welcome to the forum lucysp  smile

I can't say that I have cooked using sweets very much.
When the children were small we used to make 'Traffic Light ' biscuits.

A plain shortbread type biscuit shaped like an oblong with 3 small circular holes cut into the biscuit.
Into the holes we put crushed up red yellow and green boiled sweets, just a little as they heated , melted and spread.
We used to have to get them to check the traffic light sequence so that they got the colours in the right order.

Similarly , I have seen 'stained glass window 'biscuits made .
I have found a recipe on the internet for you , but have not used this recipe myself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stain … owbi_87505

Stained glass window biscuits
By Annabel Karmel

Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
Makes 25

Ingredients

For the biscuits

350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
        1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
        tsp salt
        2 tsp ground ginger
        100g/3oz butter
        175g/6oz soft brown sugar
        1 free-range egg, beaten
        4 tbsp golden syrup
         packet wrapped fruit-flavoured boiled sweets in different colours

To decorate

tube ready-made white icing (available in the baking sections of most supermarkets) (optional)
         narrow ribbon

Preparation method

1.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
   2.For the biscuits, mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and ginger together in a bowl.
   3.Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
      Technique: Rubbing in
   4.In another bowl, beat together the egg and golden syrup, then pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix to make a smooth dough, kneading lightly with your hands.
      Technique: Kneading bread
   5.Crush the sweets in their wrappers using a rolling pin.
   6. Roll the dough out on a floured work surface to about 0.5cm/in thick, then cut into shapes using a selection of Christmas-themed cookie cutters. Transfer the biscuits to baking sheets lined with baking paper.
   7. Cut out shapes in the centre of each biscuit, making sure you leave a good edge all around the biscuit. Completely fill the hole in each biscuit with crushed boiled sweets.
   8. Make a hole at the top of each biscuit using a drinking straw so that you will be able to thread a ribbon through it later. Bake the biscuits in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden-brown.
   9.Remove the biscuits from the oven. While they're still warm, check that the holes are still there - if not, push a straw through again. Do not remove the biscuits from the baking tray until they have cooled because the boiled sweets need to harden. Once the sweets have hardened, gently lift the biscuits onto a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling.
  10.If you like, you can decorate the biscuits with piped white icing. Thread ribbons through the holes in the biscuits to make loops for hanging from the tree.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 06 Sep 10 7:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/LylesGo … cipeID=268

Traffic Light Cookies

We hope you enjoy our recipes. Remember you can print out the shopping list as well as the full recipe. Remember to come back for more!
100g / 4oz butter, softened
75g / 3oz Tate & Lyle Caster Cane Sugar
25g / 1oz Lyles Golden Syrup
1 (size 3) egg, beaten
a few drops vanilla essence
275g / 10oz plain flour, sifted
5ml / 1tsp baking powder

TO DECORATE

Raspberry jam
Pineapple jam
Lime marmalade
A little Tate & Lyle cane sugar to dredge

Instructions

1. Cream the butter, cane sugar and syrup together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg and vanilla essence until well mixed.

2. Sift together the flour and baking powder and stir into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then gather the mixture together with your hands to form a dough.

3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Then wrap in cling film or polybag and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until firm.

4. Roll out the chilled dough to 3mm / 1/8 in thick and cut into rectangles measuring about 3cm x 8.5cm / 1 in x 3 in.

5. Using a very small plain round cutter or the end of a 5cm / in plain round piping nozzle cut out 3 holes to represent the lights in half of the rectangles only.

6. Place the rectangles on a baking tray lined with parchment paper before baking in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/gas 4 for 8-10 minutes or until just golden. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.

7. Spoon 3 small blobs of the different coloured jams along the centre of the plain biscuits to represent the traffic lights. Dust the other biscuits with the holes with icing cane sugar and then arrange on top of the biscuits topped with jam. Press down gently so that the jam shows though.

As this recipe uses colored jam , I don't think it was the one we used either !!
But it will give you the idea of what I was talking about

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 08 Sep 10 11:51am

cl1306

From Kent, UK
Member since Thu 02 Sep 10

hi, i just found this and remembered your thread.
candy cane cookies:
i can't post the link yet but go to thegoodmoodfoodblog dot com
click on "recipes" and scroll down. its in the right-hand column.

Likes (0)