forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 08 Sep 10 12:36am

ddziak

From Ohio, USA
Member since Tue 15 Sep 09

Schweinshaxe - Pork Knuckle Recipe

Hello everyone,

In about three weeks, my husband and I will host a Oktoberfest-Weekend for our American friends. One of the Americans asked me whether I would prepare Pork Knuckles, which he had in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. Well, even though I am German, I have never prepared a Schweinshaxe. Does anyone have a nice recipe. Everything I found online so far asks for boiling the knuckle in water for about two to three hours and then bake it in the oven for another half hour sprinkling it with beer. Could I instead also grill it after the boiling?

Many thanks...

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 08 Sep 10 1:16am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Schweinshaxe - Pork Knuckle Recipe

I have no idea but I'm watching this thread with anticipation

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 08 Sep 10 1:31am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I'm sure you could grill it.  The main point of the final roasting is to crisp the skin, so whatever floats your boat.  Just make sure to baste it repeatedly with the beer during this stage.  You need to add garlic and spices to the water, too. 

I've never cooked them myself (though I've eaten quite a few...) so I can't contribute a recipe but this is the general gist of things!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 08 Sep 10 1:36am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

I'm just about to run out the door but Ill try and find a recipe I came accrossnot long ago, will post in a few hours when I get back.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 08 Sep 10 1:45am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

We roast ours in the BBQ.  Surely not authentic but they still taste great.  The ones we buy from the German butcher are huge ...... and I can eat a whole one  oops

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 08 Sep 10 9:54am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

ddziak,

i use this German recipe (translated just in case the other guys fancy trying it  tongue ) ...

1kg pork knuckle
1 tsp salt
200g soup vegetables (suppengrün) ie. celeriac,carrots,leek,parsley
1 bay leaf
1 onion
Peppercorns (I usually add about 1 tsp of peppercorns)
1/4 liter beer
3/4 liter meat stock
1 slice of white bread

To baste:
7 tbsps of beer
1 tsp of honey
1 tsp of cornflour

Rinse the knuckle under cold running water then pat dry.
Place in a large, heavy based pan and add the soup vegetables (chopped) bay leaf and peppercorns.
Pour in the stock and beer.
Cover with a lid and simmer for approx. 1 hour (I think longer is better so i usually cook it for about 1.5 hours just to make sure it's really tender).
Remove the knuckle from the liquid and pat it dry with some paper kitchen towels.
Score the skin then  brush with a mixture of cornflour, beer and honey.
Place on a small oven tray ( middle shelf)  then grill on a medium heat for about 7 mins on one side, basting it regularly. Turn over and baste the other side then continue grilling for another 6 or 7 mins.
To make the sauce, add the slice of bread to the meat stock, boil for a couple of mins then push the sauce through a sieve.

you can boil  these the day before you need them  then finish cooking them in the oven/grill the next day...it's better to re-heat them  in the oven first THEN grill them (IMO) , just to make sure they're warmed through properly wink

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 08 Sep 10 11:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Sounds wicked good.. any chance of you serving those up with a couple Steins of beer wearing a Dirndl ??? whistle  whistle   rwrrooaw   lol

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Wed 08 Sep 10 8:43pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Allora, you are fantastic! My husband works for a German company and enjoys the pork knuckle in Munich every time he visits. I've tried to improvise it but it was pretty dismal - I'll knock his socks off with this one! Thank you!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 09 Sep 10 2:56am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Here tis

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/622/P … earch/true

Edit: here's the video link for the above recipe.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/search/results/

Last edited by Tara (Thu 09 Sep 10 2:59am)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 09 Sep 10 5:29am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

Did somebody mention Fraulein im Dirndl mit Bier und Schweinhaxen? Quick somebody slap me! lol
Ein, Zwei, Zuffa!!!!

Likes (0)