forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 25 Sep 10 4:16am

rayrayl81

Member since Sat 25 Sep 10

Soft pretzel, cheese, and captain crunch for lunch??

I have seen what they serve at my son's school, so I make my son a nutritious lunch for him to take to school every morning.  Our family like so many other's have hit a rough patch in life financially and we even qualify for free school lunches, but I still pack my son's lunch.  Today my son asked if he could eat the school lunch like his friends, and I told him it was ok for today.  While I know it is unhealthy, I couldn't have imagined what they were serving today...  soft pretzels with cheese, captain crunch cereal, chocolate milk, and a banana.  I was floored!!!  I would never serve this as a lunch, not even a snack!!!  I do not even allow such artificially flavored and colored cereal into my home.  I told my son I was at least happy that he had a banana, and he told me he didn't have time to eat it because they cut the lunch hour short today because they had a special project to work on.  I am so upset and frustrated, I do not even have the words!!
+3

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 25 Sep 10 10:18am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Soft pretzel, cheese, and captain crunch for lunch??

Welcome to the forum rayrayl81  smile

I am not familiar with Captain Crunch cereal , is it something like 'Lucky Charm' cereal which has those little colourful marshmallow bits in ?
( I have to admit that my family used to enjoy that when we were in America , I did not mind them eating it as they did not eat it all the time and they ate well when we were at home )

Does the school offer cooked meals  , or , is it all cold food ?
Do the children get a choice of what to eat a your sons school ?

Last edited by mummza (Sat 25 Sep 10 6:43pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 25 Sep 10 11:56pm

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

god,  the lunch sounded like a breakfast menu. ive never heard of captain crunch but assume its just another brekky cereal. dont the schools do sandwiches and stuff?

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 26 Sep 10 4:06am

rayrayl81

It is a highly processed, very sugary breakfast cereal.  They only have one choice for Lunch at my son's school.  So what they serve, is what they get.  They do not even have an oven at my son's elementary school.  The meals get served in plastic containers, they go on metal trays and they get rolled into a 'warmer' that warms them up.  They are disgusting.  No better than a microwave meal.  Actually probably even worse than those.   It is sad.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 26 Sep 10 4:16am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Welcome to the forum rayray, that is a terrible story.
Mummza, Captain Crunch is a breakfast "corn nuggets" type of cereal with a honey flavour that is so sickeningly sweet, it's like a nightmare from my childhood. I think I must have made myself sick from it once, because I have such a revulsion for it now.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 26 Sep 10 4:20am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I guess they didn't have peanut butter Cap'n Crunch then.  I know it's bad  but the peanut butter is so GOOOOOOD.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 26 Sep 10 8:18am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

For many years the primary school that my children went to did not have an oven either , the food arrived on the metal trays and went into a warmer , it had been cooked at a neighbouring school.
Eventually they got a school kitchen and the same food was cooked on site.

Rayray81,I am puzzled as to why anychild would be given breakfast cereal for lunch . All I xanthink if was that something had gone drasticaly wrong with the system they had and they were improvising with what they could find.

Rayrau81, do you get to see the menus at all , I like in Wales UK and the children used tone sent home with a menu once a term , it had all the meals . You can now look online to see what meals are being served in the school.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 26 Sep 10 9:15pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

I guess they didn't have peanut butter Cap'n Crunch then.  I know it's bad  but the peanut butter is so GOOOOOOD.

puke

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 28 Sep 10 5:41am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

mummza wrote:

I am not familiar with Captain Crunch cereal , is it something like 'Lucky Charm' cereal which has those little colourful marshmallow bits in ?
(I have to admit that my family used to enjoy that when we were in America , I did not mind them eating it as they did not eat it all the time and they ate well when we were at home)

exclaim If you've ever had 'Lucky Charms', then you'll find that 'Captain Crunch' is just about as sugary.  The only difference is that CC doesn't have marshmallows. 

They do have three versions of CC.  There's the plain version, one with 'crunchberries' (sugary fruit-flavored bits), and peanut-butter.

question But I quite agree: why is the school serving breakfast cereal for lunch?

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 10 Mar 11 2:30pm

rayrayl81

Sorry I didn't reply!  Yes, there is a menu that comes out.  That is actually what was scheduled for that day for the children for lunch.  It is actually a rotating schedule of about maybe a dozen or so different lunches that they offer.  (NONE are anything i would say is a valid, healthy, lunch.)  He took lunch that day because he asked that day if he could take school lunch like his friends do.  He is taking school lunch again today actually, because they are serving Pizza from a chain pizza restaurant in town (really???)  and of course, that is very appealing to a 6 year old.

Likes (0)