forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Wed 01 Dec 10 9:20pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

Do please keep your questions coming. I try to check the Forum a couple of times a week and it's great to hear from you all. It also keeps me from gardening in the snow, which is fierce here in London!

Likes (0)

#52 Sat 04 Dec 10 10:51am

willida

Member since Sat 04 Dec 10

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the website recipes? Was looking at having a Christmas Party in Japan and using (among other things) your minced pies, mulled wine and sausage roll recipes, only to discover to my horror that the pages just come up blank with no text. Please help me!!!

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 05 Dec 10 9:23am

sammiecat2

Member since Sat 17 Oct 09

Hello
I have two young boys a 2yr old and a 3yr old, who are luckily for me really great eaters. We are all vegitarian, so they don't have a choice about eating fruit and veg really. Anyway the exciting news is we are moving to a new house soon that has a bigger garden and a greenhouse, which is really brilliant.

We have grown fruit and veg before, but we would like to grow more.  How much of your bought fruit and veg can you exchange for home grown in a year?  I know we would have to change to seasonal veg and probably look at preserving fruit in order to see the benefit.

Also do you suggest raised beds? Are these better for children and pest control? 
I think we have fir trees towards the bottom of the new garden, which i thing take nutrients from the soil? If so how far away from these should your veg patch be?

I absolutely love gardening, and now the kids are a little bit older i will have more time to do it again.  This time the challenge is to make a garden with play space, veg growing space, beautiful flower space and entertaining/family meal space. A tall order. Apart from the veg patch i will probably leave the garden a year to see what comes up.

Please let me know your thoughts, they would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Sam

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 06 Dec 10 1:20pm

barny

Member since Sun 05 Dec 10

Hi, I bought a chillie plant and have kept some seeds to plant next year. The thing that is confusing me is my plant is still flowering and producing chillies. Is this normal for this time of year?  When should I need be planting the seeds I have collected. I have been told to do this in Jan.

My plant is kept inside on a window sil.

Thanks,
Dave.

Likes (0)

#55 Tue 07 Dec 10 9:30pm

RobinMcaf

barny wrote:

Hi, I bought a chillie plant and have kept some seeds to plant next year. The thing that is confusing me is my plant is still flowering and producing chillies. Is this normal for this time of year?  When should I need be planting the seeds I have collected. I have been told to do this in Jan.

My plant is kept inside on a window sil.

Thanks,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Are you in the UK? Would help to know if this is normal. If you are it's not abnormal for your plant to still be producing chillies. Just make sure you keep it fed and watered to support it. If you're going to sow indoors I would do this mid February through to the end of March. Outdoors in late March/ early April. This advice is for the UK or similar climate though!

Likes (0)

#56 Tue 07 Dec 10 9:47pm

RobinMcaf

sammiecat2 wrote:

Hello
I have two young boys a 2yr old and a 3yr old, who are luckily for me really great eaters. We are all vegitarian, so they don't have a choice about eating fruit and veg really. Anyway the exciting news is we are moving to a new house soon that has a bigger garden and a greenhouse, which is really brilliant.

We have grown fruit and veg before, but we would like to grow more.  How much of your bought fruit and veg can you exchange for home grown in a year?  I know we would have to change to seasonal veg and probably look at preserving fruit in order to see the benefit.

Also do you suggest raised beds? Are these better for children and pest control? 
I think we have fir trees towards the bottom of the new garden, which i thing take nutrients from the soil? If so how far away from these should your veg patch be?

I absolutely love gardening, and now the kids are a little bit older i will have more time to do it again.  This time the challenge is to make a garden with play space, veg growing space, beautiful flower space and entertaining/family meal space. A tall order. Apart from the veg patch i will probably leave the garden a year to see what comes up.

Please let me know your thoughts, they would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your question. Really exciting that you have so much space to play with. I generally advise people to start small and then as you build confidence to increase the amount that you grow. You could potentially become self sufficient in a year if you had a large enough space and only ate seasonal vegetables. But sometimes being over ambitious can put you off!

Fruit trees and fruit shrubs will obviously take longer to establish unless they are already in the garden. So this could be the area you need to supplement the most.

I would definitely recommend raised beds. They are easier to weed, you can start off with exactly the soil that you want and they somehow immediately make a veg garden seem more organised and manageable. I put copper tape around mine and this does seem to keep the slugs out - a big plus. They are also largely weed free, because I put cardboard over the weed infested ground below and a lot of good soil on top - by the time the cardboard has rotted the weeds are gone.

Finally - your fir trees. Will they shade the vegetable area? This would be a problem. Also watering will need to be increased depending on the proximity to the trees although they actually aren't that nutrient hungry. Do they drop pine needles? The acidity of these needles actually benefits the vegetable patch because most vegetables like acid soil. I couldn't recommend a distance from them without knowing the size of your garden and the size of the trees. Perhaps you could let me know. 

I do hope this helps,

Robin

Likes (0)

#57 Wed 08 Dec 10 10:17pm

smoggy

Member since Wed 08 Dec 10

Hi ,can anyone give me the name of the band playing at the end of the naked chef christmas special the one where he cooks Poussons  and collects his dad on his scooter from The Cricketers  help     please such a wicked song

Likes (0)

#58 Thu 09 Dec 10 3:08pm

theboytobes

Member since Thu 09 Dec 10

Hi,

I have a part of the garden that Id like to start to a beg patch, am I too late to prepare the ground? What should I start to plant & when?

I am a complete novice so any help or direction would be fantastic!

Thanks
Toby

Likes (0)

#59 Mon 13 Dec 10 8:50am

glutenfree123

Member since Fri 10 Dec 10

Subject: Iím interviewing an expert and I need your help

Hey there,

Iím new to this forum and I just wanted to start off by saying hi!

Iím working with a doctor that specializes on gluten intolerance and I have interview scheduled with him next week. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you what questions you would have for him. Perhaps you would like to know some natural remedies, or maybe you just want to know what is going on in your body. Remember, there are no stupid questions.

To add value to this thread and forum I will post the interview once itís done. This will also be as a thank you for helping me out. It will be a direct download linkÖno email, no forums to fill out. Just take it

I look forward to seeing your questions.

Brandon

Likes (0)

#60 Mon 13 Dec 10 9:47am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

glutenfree123 wrote:

Subject: Iím interviewing an expert and I need your help

Hey there,

Iím new to this forum and I just wanted to start off by saying hi!

Iím working with a doctor that specializes on gluten intolerance and I have interview scheduled with him next week. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you what questions you would have for him. Perhaps you would like to know some natural remedies, or maybe you just want to know what is going on in your body. Remember, there are no stupid questions.

To add value to this thread and forum I will post the interview once itís done. This will also be as a thank you for helping me out. It will be a direct download linkÖno email, no forums to fill out. Just take it

I look forward to seeing your questions.

Brandon

Hi Brandon...you'd be better off starting a new thread about this,
go to the forum home page
Choose which Forum you wish to post in (I would suggest leftovers)...click on the pink "Discuss" button....
Then on the pink "Add new post" button (On the right hand side, just under the square advert.)
Hope this is of some help to you.

Likes (0)