forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#661 Thu 10 May 12 9:21pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: What did you find in your garden today?

mrgreen  wink

Likes (0)

#662 Thu 10 May 12 10:44pm

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Haven't ventured outside yet. BUT, the other day I did find one 6'1" male with an iPod in whipper-snipping the fence line up past the mango trees.  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#663 Thu 17 May 12 3:29pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Little tiny black bugs... They are like aphids but black and infesting the herbs and soft veg. I've never seen anything like them before. Anyone have any idea what they are and what to do??

Likes (0)

#664 Sat 19 May 12 6:14pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

SherylS wrote:

Little tiny black bugs... They are like aphids but black and infesting the herbs and soft veg. I've never seen anything like them before. Anyone have any idea what they are and what to do??

Aphids don't just come in 'green'.............try washing them with soapy washing-up water & see if that works for them.
After that normal bug spray I'm afraid. If you leave then on there too long they will sap the strength of the host plant(s).

Likes (0)

#665 Sat 19 May 12 6:16pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

In my garden today..........

...............snails, weeds, & masses of beautiful yellow cowslips with just one scarlet one right in the middle!

Likes (0)

#666 Sat 19 May 12 8:25pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

2 kids with a vacum...................... today was lovely so I sent them out to clean out both cars!  lol

Likes (0)

#667 Mon 21 May 12 3:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

today in my garden there is a wonderful smell of Lily of the Valley flowers near the front door as the flowers are bloomng ready for today . big_smile

Likes (0)

#668 Sat 09 Jun 12 2:40pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Amazing shocked all that composting of old veggie peelings, lawn clippings and garden waste has finally paid off.

Went outside to see how the pathetic planter boxes were doing and found them brimming with new healthy spinach plants and self seeded tomatos growing up with no help from me or hubby at all.  Mint and some self growing sweet potato too! Guess it is never too late to get the garden into being productive.

The new drainage arrangement that hubby made over Summer seems to have taken away all the excess moisture and raising the soil up in boxes has stopped the plants from getting wet feet, yay exclaim we might just finally have a working veggie garden. clap clap

Seems crazy to be complaining of wet back yards in this country, but I think the house was built without thought to the shape of the land and where the water flowed.  roll

Likes (0)

#669 Sun 10 Jun 12 12:20am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Birdy.. our yard slopes toward the house.. there is a massie storm drain but water still nearly gets to the doorsill if the rain is heavy enough.

Im weeding today.. the front yard.. it is in need of attention & just an hours work will put it to rights I think..

Likes (0)

#670 Mon 11 Jun 12 9:55am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

frizz1974 wrote:

Birdy.. our yard slopes toward the house.. there is a massie storm drain but water still nearly gets to the doorsill if the rain is heavy enough.

Im weeding today.. the front yard.. it is in need of attention & just an hours work will put it to rights I think..

Frizz guess it is a more common problem than previously thought. Looks like your mountain or my river flats, it doesn't matter where you live, they will always allow houses on natural watercourses.

Likes (0)