forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sat 06 Nov 10 7:56pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Re: seed saving illegal

I think this came from a bid by Monsanto to have a farmer's Corn or Tomato crop on PEI destroyed and impounded, on the grounds that it had been crossfertilized from the Monsanto crop on the neighbouring farm and the farmer shouldn't benifit from Monsanto's technology. Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut
Karen neutral

Likes (0)

#32 Sat 06 Nov 10 8:24pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

It was a canola  crop out on the Canadian prairies.  The farmer did eventually win and monsato had to pay damages and legal costs. It was a very stressful number of years for the farmer and I don't like Monsantos business practices. It doesn't take anything more than an investment of time to discover the true story, instead of repeating web based inuendo ,rumour or outright fabricated stories.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#33 Sat 06 Nov 10 8:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

yes , it did not take me very long to find that out either Ashen , I mentioned it on page 1.

( before I made the mistake of sticking up for university students with bad grammer !)

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 06 Nov 10 9:38pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

mummza wrote:

yes , it did not take me very long to find that out either Ashen , I mentioned it on page 1.

( before I made the mistake of sticking up for university students with bad grammer !)

My grandma used to make spelling mistakes all the time...

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 06 Nov 10 9:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

So do I wine-o .

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 07 Nov 10 1:11am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Wino and Eddie, there's no finger pointing at this end, there were other comments made by other posters which gave me the same disappointed feeling.  I don't want this blown out of proportion either, it was simply an honest observation on my part. I could only imagine the OP feeling a little ganged up for making a comment that required some more research.  I have seen this forum do this before and I have been on the recieving end of it, I guess it's just a reminder that the people behind the keyboard are real. I try to ask myself, would I say that if we were sitting face to face? Do my ego reqirements count more than mere politness?

Likes (0)

#37 Sun 07 Nov 10 1:29am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

A little old Lady was offered some pretty plants. Beautiful flowers were growing in her front garden, one day the police stopped and knocked at her door...
'Good morning, Mrs Happy, do you know what is growing in your front garden????'
'No' said Mrs Happy.
'Cannabis'
'Oh and where on earth can it have come from?' said a Mrs Happy a so little touchy....knowing very well that her children had offered her those tiny seeds so that she might profit for her needs....

Last edited by kye in france (Sun 07 Nov 10 1:36am)

Likes (0)

#38 Sun 07 Nov 10 4:32am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Some of us did get way off the topic talking about education.  But we were talking about the quality of education, not the quality of students.  Big difference.  Sorry for diverging though.

But hmm,  question  I don't think it's rude or condescending to suggest someone needs to research their views a bit more.  It goes to the heart of how and why people are thinking something - it is method.  Discussing method is important, I think, if you're discussing arguments or debated points of view.  There's no reason to be rude in suggesting  it; but it's an important suggestion sometimes.

So yes, if people were expressing (and Roxyrockford - the university student, not the OP - did express his/her views quite forcefully, I think) views that needed more research, I would suggest this to them.  I agree with Eddie to that extent.

I worded my suggestion as a question, which makes it just that - a suggestion - and asks them have they learnt how to do good research and thought about doing it for this topic (although it is a goal at schools, universities and colleges to teach reasonable research skills, I certainly know that not all, nor all teachers and lecturers, do teach it very well).

I would certainly say it to someone's face.  Have done so.  And have done so to many, many students ...

I nearly said it, along with a few other things, to the lady who gave the sermon in church today ... only I couldn't find her afterwards.

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 07 Nov 10 4:40am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Ok, everyone.  You must admit that "seeds rattling around in your head" was humorous.  C'mon.  This was nothing compared to some genuine flaming we've all seen before.

Likes (0)

#40 Sun 07 Nov 10 4:56am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Ms C I don't think it's rude or condesending to suggest further research either, I was merely try to point out that these things can be pointed out politely. I had no issue with the OT convo you were having. 

For the record I don't hold this sort of thing against anyone, Lord knows Ive been guilty of it myself, and often in humour, it's a fine line I guess and I was merely putting myself in the others shoes.

Eddie, Im sure you weren't going out of your way to upset anyone, you haven't got a mean bone in your body.

Likes (0)