forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 17 Nov 10 10:46am

tracyclarke

Member since Wed 17 Nov 10

amount of oil in carrot cakes!!

Hi all!!

just a quick question on how much oil goes into a carrot cake? ive seen various recipes ranging from 2 tsp- 175g, this is a huge difference so its got me all confussed!! lol

Help!!!

many thanks help

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 17 Nov 10 11:38am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: amount of oil in carrot cakes!!

Hi, this is JO's carrot cake and i can't see any oil.......

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/past … with-lime-

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 17 Nov 10 8:46pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It would depend on the recipe

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 17 Nov 10 11:08pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

The White Rabbit wrote:

It would depend on the recipe

Sure does.  The European versions tend to include ground almonds for moisture and lightness rather than oil.  This seems to be a feature of English-speaking-world carrot cakes, if you see what I mean.  I can post a recipe for a Swiss carrot cake that doesn't include oil at all.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 17 Nov 10 11:47pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Tracy,
I have generally found oil cakes too oily and have even halved the oil and still the cake worked out. I prefer butter so I usually put half butter and half oil but adding up to less than the amount of oil in the recipe.
So my suggestion would be to go with one that says less oil ~ and then see what you think! Once you have got it right you will be set for life!

Good luck! I hope it turns out delicious! smile  smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 18 Nov 10 1:41am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Hi Tracy, wave

The quantity of any fat in a cake recipe generally depends on the quantities and types of other ingredients included.  The fat provides moisture, helps to bind dry ingredients, and enhances flavour.  If there are other ingredients in the cake to achieve these things, the quantity of added fat can be less. 

If the fat is butter, it can be beaten with sugar before other ingredients are added, to create a light, airy mixture that helps to make a light cake; this can't really be done with oil.  I think butter also has the best flavour for cakes, but that's a matter of taste.

I'm with Joy.  And I usually replace all the oil with butter.  For me, the oil is quite tasteless, greasy and makes a kind of gluggy cake, compared with butter.

But Anna, I'd really like your Swiss recipe, if you wouldn't mind posting it?  smile

Last edited by cengland (Thu 18 Nov 10 1:45am)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 18 Nov 10 11:20am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Normally I would be all for the butter , but my  motherinlaw makes a carrot cake that uses  oil that is killer.  One time she even used extra virgin olive oil and it was even better.  dribble  dribble

I know that alot of cake recipes can be turned to lower fat by replacing the oil with unsweetened apple sauce.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Thu 18 Nov 10 12:11pm

FlippyPhil

From Staffordshire/Derbyshire
Member since Thu 19 Aug 10

The Jamie Oliver recipe (the on in the Cook with Jamie) has wildly out cooking time. My wife made it and it took almost 2 hours. Our oven is a very efficient fan over with good temperature control and I've never had to extend a cake recipe cooking time.

It's not the only recipe in that book that seems wrong:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef … etroot-and

1 hour 30 mins to cook 5 -6 kg of beef rib! Even at 10 mins / lb + 20 mins (for rare beef) you'd expect about 2-2.5 hrs.

I did a rib of beef for new year once, weighing 6 kg. It cooked for 4 hours and was medium to medium rare.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 18 Nov 10 10:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I make carrot cake with sunflower oil .
I am not sure that replacing the oil furniture would work very well .
There are pads of other flavours in the cake and the subtleness of the sunflower oil works very well .
The cake is not greasy , I has a good texture . Ok it's not as light a cake as something like a Victoria sandwich , but its not meant to be .it's a different sort of cake.

Tonight on the Nigella cookery program that was on the telly , NigellaLaeson made a carrotcake , she used oilve oil and ground almonds. It was both gluten free and dairy free, it looked like it had a denser texture than thecake I make,it was quite a plain cake and was topped with some toasted pinenuts.

FlippyPhil , something as simple as a different size of egg being used in a recipe can alter the cooking times, it might not be the recipe .

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 19 Nov 10 1:02am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

For me, these are the two yummiest carrot cakes I've ever tried (and I've tried quite a few).

The first one is Delia Smith's.  (I have made it with butter, and it's mighty fine.  I haven't made Delia's icing, just making the cake with bog-standard cream cheese icing, which I love.)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type … icing.html

The second one is very easy and simple, but very good.  (This one I have made with sunflower oil on occasion.)

WALDORF ASTORIA CARROT CAKE

220g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
250 mL oil
3 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp (5 mL) bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups (500 mL) grated carrot
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts (or pecans)

cream cheese icing

*  Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
*  Grease a 22cm (9 inch) round tin.
*  Beat sugar and oil together with electric beaters.
*  Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
*  Sift in flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix in by hand, until well blended.
*  Fold in carrot and walnuts.
*  Turn into prepared tin, and bake for about 45 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
*  Ice cake with cream cheese icing when cold.

Likes (0)