forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 21 Nov 10 2:51pm

Steffie198

Member since Sun 21 Nov 10

Sauce to go with ham needed

Hello!

First of all I am new here. I have tried to search for a similar topic but have not found one, so I hope this is ok..

I will be cooking ham for a special christmassy-first birthday-dinner this year and am wondering what kind of sauce woulf go well with the ham and champ.. Normally, I would make a parsley sauce but the damily I am cooking for is not a big fan of it and big into gravy kind of sauces.
Would a turkey or white wine kind of gravy go well with the ham?
Or rather a cranberry sauce (which might be a bit too adventurous for the German guests)?
Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steffie

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 21 Nov 10 3:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Sauce to go with ham needed

I love Mustard sauce with ham.

1 tablespoon flour, 80g white sugar,1 tablespoon French mustard, 250ml milk, 2 egg yolks, 50g tarragon vinegar.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and mustard until blended. Whisk together the milk and egg yolks in a saucepan, and slowly whisk in the mustard mixture. Stir in the vinegar. Whisking constantly, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 21 Nov 10 10:29pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

There is time between mouthfuls of ham for sauce????!!!!???  wink

I'd go for a chutney or relish of some kind but we tend to eat ham cold at this time of year in Australia

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 21 Nov 10 11:38pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Kye , I love the sound of that mustard sauce.  yummy

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 22 Nov 10 12:04am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Raisin Sauce

/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups water
Preparation:
Raisin sauce directions
Combine brown sugar, cornstarch and dry mustard in a small saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add vinegar, raisins, lemon peel, lemon juice and water. Continue cooking raisin sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Serve raisin sauce with ham.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of raisin sauce.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 22 Nov 10 1:47am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

The mustard sauce ...  dribble

One part Chinese plum sauce and one part apricot jam, thinned if you like with a bit of apple, orange or lemon juice, is not bad if you want something quick.  It's more a condiment than a gravy-style sauce though.  It makes a good glaze as well, if you're baking the ham.  I've made it with homemade sauce and jam; not sure what it would be like with shop-bought.  Like TWR, we often eat ham cold at Christmas time.  But last Christmas I served it baked, with roast turkey, and with just the turkey gravy, plus cranberry sauce on the side, and that was great.

Here's the ham glaze I made for baking the ham at Christmas last year.

1/2 c apple juice
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp (good pinch) ground cloves
250g sweet orange marmalade

* Bring apple juice, sugar and spices to the boil, then simmer rapidly for 15 mins.
* Add marmalade and warm to melt all together.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 22 Nov 10 1:47pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Personally I do not like gravy or sauce with ham.  I like cooking it with a honey mustard glaze and I find it to be juicy enough on its own.  However, something fruity goes very well and I think your cranberry sauce could work nicely.  You could also try lingonberries  as well.

Here in the US pork is often served with stewed apples or apple sauce.  It's sweet and cinammony.  I would definitely serve that and for your fussy guests maybe have a basic chicken gravy.  And if worst comes to worst you can just serve sauerkraut.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 22 Nov 10 2:50pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

An apricot puree would also work, so would a spicy mango puree.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 22 Nov 10 10:18pm

Steffie198

Thanks for all your suggestions..
Think i might try the mustard sauce.. and maybe have some gravy on standby just in case wink

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 22 Nov 10 10:39pm

Steffie198

Actually i do like the sound of the apple sauce as well.. Mmh, tough choice now.. wink
Thanks again.

Likes (0)