forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 01 Dec 10 12:45pm

jonny_red

From Hart
Member since Thu 29 Jul 10

Reheating lamb twice?

Hello all

I'm having go at trying to recreate an old soup/stew recipe that my nana used to do with breast of lamb (lamb lap in my neck of the woods).

I've braised the lamb with some root vegetables and bouquet garni and strained off the stock so that I can separate the fat from the stock.  I've also stripped the meat from the fat to put back into the finished dish.  My question is:

I know I'm okay with reheating my lamb one time (in the finished dish tonight) but would it be safe to reheat a second time for lunch the following day?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Jon

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 01 Dec 10 12:52pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: Reheating lamb twice?

I was always told that you should only reheat meat once, but I will stand corrected if thats the wrong advice. ( sorry not much help really )

Gem

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 01 Dec 10 1:00pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

At home I would if I knew it had been above 75c (so bacteria is killed) but I don't have a thermometer to measure this, sorry I can't give a definate answer but I hope this helps somewhat.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 01 Dec 10 9:08pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

You should be fine.  We do that sort of thing a lot, and as long as you're keeping it in the fridge overnight, I wouldn't worry.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 01 Dec 10 10:24pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Should be ok, just heat well. I assume you can't remove a portion to keep refrigerated.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 02 Dec 10 1:29am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

We often eat leftovers, but I usually only reheat enough for the meal we're going to have, and leave the rest in the fridge or freezer.  But yep, I think it's fine too, as long as it's kept chilled or frozen for storage and reheated well for eating.

Last edited by cengland (Thu 02 Dec 10 1:29am)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 02 Dec 10 1:33am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Lordy Lordy, dont worry.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 02 Dec 10 7:39am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Cooked meats should only be reheated once.

I suggest that you simply just reheat the quantity you need at the time and leave the rest in the fridge.

When the soup is reheated it should be bought to a high temperature and kept there for quite a few minutes .
The reason for this is that it helps to kill any
organisms that might have developed in the soup.(Meaty soup is an ideal medium for some organisms to grow ).

Whist you should be fine , as others have said already , you are better off only reheating the soup once .

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 02 Dec 10 11:08am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

two very good reasons not to continue to reheat leftovers more than once.

toxins and spores

There are many bacteria that produce toxins or spores that are harmful to human health  and while you may kill the bacteria during reheating ,the toxins and spores are unaffected by the heat.

The more times you reheat, the more time the food is in the danger zone for bacteria growth, and the greater the  levels of toxins or spores that can accumulate

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Thu 02 Dec 10 11:45am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Once cooked, twice reheated and then thrown out if theres any left...either i had made too much or that it wasn't that much apprecieated.

Mostly though it has already been stocked in the freeze before the fatal third heat.

Likes (0)