Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 09 Dec 10 3:43pm

RSPCA_ThinkPig

Member since Thu 09 Dec 10

Perfect gammon joint recipe (using higher welfare meat)

Hello everyone

With Christmas approaching, did you know that pork products are now almost as popular as turkey during the festive season?

I'm helping the RSPCA out with its Think Pig campaign -  they're urging everyone to 'Think Pig' by shopping for Freedom Food, free range, outdoor reared, outdoor bred or organic labels, and choosing higher welfare sausages, bacon, ham and pork.

The RSPCA has put together a range of 'Think Pig' recipes, including some ideas for leftovers - good for helping money go further.

The recipes are on the RSPCA 'Think Pig' Facebook page - just click on the Notes tab to see them all.
Search on Facebook for 'Think Pig'.

Here's one of them - the perfect gammon joint:

A gammon joint doesn't just make an impressive centrepiece for the Christmas table, it gives you plenty of delicious leftovers to feed the family for a couple of days. Cooking a gammon joint from scratch is easy and likely to be more economical than buying a ready cooked joint.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time: 3 hours
Serves 6-8 plus some leftovers

Ingredients

3.5kg boneless Freedom Food labelled gammon joint (or labelled outdoor bred, outdoor reared, free-range or organic)
1 litre fresh orange juice
8 cloves, plus extra for studding the gammon
1 onion, peeled, halved
2 large bay leaves

For the glaze:
4 tbsp orange marmalade
4 tbsp clear honey
3 tbsp wholegrain mustard

Method

Put the gammon in a large, deep pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and drain.

Return the gammon to the pan, and then pour in the orange juice. Pour in enough cold water to cover the gammon completely.

Push two cloves into each onion half and add to the pan along with the bay leaves. Cover with a lid and bring gently to the boil (this will take about 30 minutes), skim the surface and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook gently for 2 hours, adding more hot water to the pan as necessary.

Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C, 350F/Gas 4.

Remove the gammon from the pan and sit onto a chopping board. Using a long knife remove the skin, leaving behind a thin layer of fat. Score the gammon in a diamond pattern with the tip of a knife. Place a clove in the middle of a few of the diamonds. Sit the gammon into a roasting tin.

Mix together the marmalade, honey and mustard. Spoon or brush the glaze evenly over the gammon.

Roast the gammon in the oven for 45 minutes, basting frequently with the glaze and pan juices, until the gammon is cooked through and golden-brown all over.

Serving suggestion

Serve the gammon hot with red cabbage and roast potatoes or cold with a selection of cheese and pickles.

Don't forget to Think Pig and find out more about the labels you should be looking for to help improve pig welfare.

Clive
(Working with the RSPCA)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 09 Dec 10 4:12pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Perfect gammon joint recipe (using higher welfare meat)

Hi Clive and welcome to the Forum....Where can you buy "Freedom" Gammon in the UK...?

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 09 Dec 10 4:37pm

RSPCA_ThinkPig

Hi wine~o

I can't really recommend any specific retailers, but a Google search for ' "freedom foods" gammon' shows up some ideas. (As I'm new on the forum, I can't post links, I'm afraid)

Also, the RSPCA  gives an overview of which supermarkets are stocking Freedom Food products, though it's not detailed enough to list specific products. Again, I'm unable to post the link, but a Google search for 'RSPCA freedom food where to buy' should take you there.

I hope that's handy.

Clive

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 09 Dec 10 4:40pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

That sounds so delish!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 09 Dec 10 7:41pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

RSPCA_ThinkPig wrote:

Hi wine~o

I can't really recommend any specific retailers, but a Google search for ' "freedom foods" gammon' shows up some ideas. (As I'm new on the forum, I can't post links, I'm afraid)

Also, the RSPCA  gives an overview of which supermarkets are stocking Freedom Food products, though it's not detailed enough to list specific products. Again, I'm unable to post the link, but a Google search for 'RSPCA freedom food where to buy' should take you there.

I hope that's handy.

Clive

Oh thanks Clive....is this the site.. wink

http://www.rspca.org.uk/freedomfood

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 09 Dec 10 7:46pm

RSPCA_ThinkPig

That's the one!

Cheers! :-)

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 09 Dec 10 8:48pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

Big fan of freedom foods in the UK..as is Mr. Oliver..(I believe he and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall did a programme on C4 a while back..).As a Minimum standard of welfare at least we all know where we stand.

As for those 2 chickens for X in tas.co........asta...etc(Names changed to protect the guilty...)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 09 Dec 10 10:40pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

A great campaign! Cheers! big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 15 Dec 10 2:03pm

FlippyPhil

From Staffordshire/Derbyshire
Member since Thu 19 Aug 10

Outdoor reared and outdoor bred are still not good enough.

See this article for the definition (at the bottom).
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a … 228132.ece

Free-range and organic are the only labels that mean the pigs live their whole life as a pig should.

If you live in the Midlands try and find Packington Pork
http://www.packingtonpork.co.uk/

We get their meat from our local butcher, he make ham and bacon with it too. It's really great quality.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 15 Dec 10 4:30pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k

FlippyPhil wrote:

Outdoor reared and outdoor bred are still not good enough.

See this article for the definition (at the bottom).
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a … 228132.ece

Free-range and organic are the only labels that mean the pigs live their whole life as a pig should.

If you live in the Midlands try and find Packington Pork
http://www.packingtonpork.co.uk/

We get their meat from our local butcher, he make ham and bacon with it too. It's really great quality.

Whilst I would agree with the sentiment of "Ideally" free range/organic...(And buy that way when and if I can) at least the RSPCA "Freedom foods" have a better standard than the "pile 'em high and sell'em cheap brigade"...which is at least a good starting point? not every-one can afford top-end produce..

Likes (0)