forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 14 Dec 10 3:02am

jvic

Member since Sun 31 Oct 10

what to serve with turkey + risotto question

so, what are you guys gonna serve with the christmas turkey?

i've been thinking about trying the saffron risotto. i've almost no experience making risottos, so here's one doubt of mine:

is it possible to prepare and save the risotto to serve it later, or do you actually have to serve it rightaway white its creamy and hot?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 14 Dec 10 3:08am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: what to serve with turkey + risotto question

Yes, risotto should be served shortly after it's made.  It does not reheat well.  It loses the creamy texture.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 14 Dec 10 3:10am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

The usual.  smile  Roast potatoes.  Also probably sweet potato, green beans, maybe some roast onion and carrot or pumpkin.

I have saved risotto and served it later (as leftovers), both by keeping it in the fridge and by freezing it.  It is fine.  But I think it's best if served when it's made.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 14 Dec 10 3:27am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

It is possible to get the risotto most of the way cooked & then finish it off before serving.. this is what is done in a lot of commercial kitchen..

Onion & celery are fried off in olive oil, rice is added, wine & stock are added & at about the half way mark its all cooled down quite rapidly (spread it on a tray & fan it) then once cold you can store it in the fridge until ready to finish it off.

To finish you just put it in a pan & ladle in hot stock, stirring all the while as per normal, finish with cheese, butter &/or cream etc etc etc.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 14 Dec 10 7:32am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

We're having Haggis and Whiskey Stuffing, Pigs in Blankets (using Proscuitto to wrap sausagemeat) Duck Fat Roast Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Chestnuts, Apple Sauce and Lardons, Honey and Wholegrain Mustard Roasted Parsnips.

Last edited by falconcy (Tue 14 Dec 10 10:41am)

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 14 Dec 10 9:27am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

jvic wrote:

i'll be serving goose fat roasties, little sausages wrapped in bacon, my Mum's sausagemeat stuffing, sliced brussel sprouts with bacon & chestnuts, roasted parsnips and carrots, bread sauce and glühwein spiced cranberry sauce......oh and a handful of indigestion tablets  lol

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 14 Dec 10 10:25am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I'll be serving roast potatoes, stuffing, little sausages wrapped in bacon, brussel sprouts, honey glazed carrots, lingonberry sauce, gravy and everyones other choice of veg!

I always let everyone pick a veg, cos I think you should be able to eat what you like for Christmas dinner!

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 14 Dec 10 1:52pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

We don't serve turkey for Christmas but when I make turkey dinners at home I love serving Jamie's roasted carrot and avocado salad.  Let me know if you need a recipe.

And yes, risotto is served a la minute.  Risotto is special, it should be oozing and cream on your plate.  Please don't serve premade risotto, it's a big gloppy mess, it's not risotto at all.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 14 Dec 10 1:53pm

fcradock

Occupation underground cook
Member since Tue 14 Dec 10

jvic wrote:

i've been thinking about trying the saffron risotto. i've almost no experience making risottos, so here's one doubt of mine:

is it possible to prepare and save the risotto to serve it later, or do you actually have to serve it rightaway white its creamy and hot?

i find a large cube of Paxo always goes down well , or if you really want to push the boat out try adding a few sprouts. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 14 Dec 10 1:56pm

fcradock

Occupation underground cook
Member since Tue 14 Dec 10

frizz1974 wrote:

It is possible to get the risotto most of the way cooked & then finish it off before serving.. this is what is done in a lot of commercial kitchen..

Onion & celery are fried off in olive oil, rice is added, wine & stock are added & at about the half way mark its all cooled down quite rapidly (spread it on a tray & fan it) then once cold you can store it in the fridge until ready to finish it off.

To finish you just put it in a pan & ladle in hot stock, stirring all the while as per normal, finish with cheese, butter &/or cream etc etc etc.

how about some Wollongong trifle , and maybe some Pepsi Max? thumbsup

Likes (0)