forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 17 Dec 10 3:09am

balts

Member since Fri 17 Dec 10

pork belly slices

Hi,

Firstly this is my first post on here, have been reading through topics for a while but first time I started one of my own!

Basically, I was anticipating doing a pork belly recipe on sunday, sent the girlfriend out to get the ingredients and she came back with pork belly slices rather then one big piece.

So do i go about cooking it in the same way.  For the big piece I was going to braise it for about 2 and a half hours, then chill, then roast on a high heat for 20-25 minutes.  Could I still use the same technique but just reduce the time I braise the strips for, say 1 hour instead?

Many thanks for your help in advance,
Balts

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 17 Dec 10 3:46am

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Re: pork belly slices

Welcome Balts!
I wish I could help but have the same issue. The only way I've seen pork belly sold is in strips so I look forward to reading some interesting ideas!

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 17 Dec 10 10:27am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

They're best grilled. Give them a dry rub of your choice (the fatty juices will stop the spices from burning), slit them across about half way through (that way they'll curl into a "C" instead of being wavy). Put them on the hottest part of the grill just to char both sides, then on a cooler part, or just drape it on some other meat and let them baste it with spicy fat. Basically just render out fat to taste, and they're done. Best served wraped in flatbread along with some fresh chopped vegetables, to ease the conciense.  whistle

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 17 Dec 10 2:07pm

balts

Member since Fri 17 Dec 10

Thanks very much TSR but would they not dry out that way slightly.  I thought braising them in water with star anise, cinnamon stick, carrot and onion would help them remain moist whilst flavouring the meat.  I want the flavour of the pork to be the attraction of the meal ideally.

What do people suggest to serve them with?  I was thinking of buttered hispie cabbage with some chestnuts passed through the cabbage to give texture.  Then also some pomme puree and then either a red wine sauce or a dijon and creme fraiche sauce. 

Opinions please?!?!?!?

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 17 Dec 10 2:27pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

It won't dry out, since it's got so much fat, not only in the white lardy layers, but in the pink streaks of meat.

I've had good results when braising  large chunks of belly, but I'm not sure about strips. How thick are they?

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 17 Dec 10 6:06pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

For a whole pork belly you don't have to braise it in water, I feel like that waters down the flavor.  Place it in a roasting pan ontop of halved garlic heads with the seasonings you like.  Cover with foil and roast for 2 hrs in a medium-low oven. 

If they are already sliced then braising is not the best way to cook them.  By braising you'll just have soggy strips of bacon, not much fun.  They're best grilled.  They won't be as soft and silky as a belly roast but they'll be tasty and good. 

This cut of me is very rich so think about pairing it with lighter accompaniments.  A nice bright salad, and a starch that is not too heavy.  Perhaps rice or cous cous.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 17 Dec 10 10:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum  Blats , I have to add that I definaly would not braise the belly pork .  It would not give a good texture to the fat or skin of the belly pork . It is much better cooked  in an oven.

If I buy the belly pork strips I sometimes marinade them for a while in a BBQ marinade or other marinade . Then put them to roast skin side up in the oven.

If I hut a whole piece of belly pork , I mostly get a sharp knife , score the skin fairly deeply making the score lines fairly close together.
I them put a wire rack that I use for cooling the cakes over the sink , put the belly pork , skinside up on the rack , I then empty a kettleful of boiling water over the pork skin. This opens up the slits that have been cut in the skin, quickly I dry the surface of the pork skin , rub it over with a little oil and then sprinkle with salt. This gives the best crackling.

To cook the bellypork I then place it of a base of sliced apples , onions, herbs whatever you fancy and I either roast it normally or slowroast it.

Somethines instead of laying the pork on z bed of soles etc , I roll the belly pork adding things to the centre before I tie the pork , if I am doing this I always slow roast it but turn the oven up high for a while before serving to crisp the crackling (skin).
Slow roasting renders out most of he fat in the belly pork and leaved the meat succulent and  soft.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 17 Dec 10 11:02pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sorry I should have added that my family love belly pork with mashed potato and parsnip and fine cut cabbage that has been lightly cooked

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 21 Dec 10 4:42pm

xanado

Member since Thu 31 Dec 09

Hi everyone,

In Portugal we have that ALL THE TIME. We just salt them and grill them (over charcoal preferably), how much depends on the individual. I personally like them with the fat nice and golden and the skin turned to crackling, whilst some people will say that this is overdoing them.

I don't know how good your pork is, but I can tell you over here this is all it takes, it's great stuff!

Enjoy!

Likes (0)