forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 24 Dec 10 3:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Figgy Pudding

Is it the same as Christmas pudding?  Is it the same as plum pudding?  Why the different names?  What's the most traditional recipe?  My friend wants to make it.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 23 Jan 11 4:40pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: Figgy Pudding

Figgy pudding is a pudding resembling something like a white Christmas pudding containing figs. The pudding may be baked, steamed in the oven, boiled or fried.[1]

The history of figgy pudding dates back to 16th century England.[2] Its possible ancestors include savory puddings such as crustades, fygeye or figge (a potage of mashed figs thickened with bread), creme boiled (a kind of stirred custard), and sippets. In any case, its methods and ingredients appear in diverse older recipes. Today, the term figgy pudding is known mainly because of the Christmas carol "We Wish You A Merry Christmas," which repeats, "Now bring us some figgy pudding" in the chorus, indicating that it was a Christmas traditional dish served during the season and thus might potentially be given to Christmas carolers.
(Wikapedia)

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Sun 23 Jan 11 4:43pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 24 Jan 11 2:25pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I knew I had a recipe for this somewhere, it was in my Nans cook book, my grandad use to like this and was served on christmas day along side the more traditional plum pudding

Steamed Fig Pudding
300ml ( pint) Milk
225g (8oz) Flour
175g (6oz) Dried Figs
150ml ( pint) Brandy
110g (4oz) Suet
110g (4oz) Prunes
85g (3oz) Raisins
50g (2oz) Dried Apricots
50g (2oz) Dates
25g (1oz) Dried Apples ( or chopped eating apple )
1 tbsp Honey
tsp Ginger
tsp Cinnamon
On the day before making the pudding, place the dried apricots, prunes and apples to soak in water and place the raisins or sultanas to soak in the brandy.
Butter a large pudding basin.
Melt the honey and stir in the ginger and cinnamon. Add to the soaked fruits and brandy mixture.
Work quickly with this part suet pastry doesn't like to sit arround - Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in suet and mix to a fairly soft dough with cold water. Turn out on to a floured surface. Roll out two-thirds of pastry into a round and use to line a well-greased 2-pint pudding basin.
Pour the fruit mixture into the pastry lined bowl.
Moisten edges of pastry with water.
Cover with lid, rolled from remainder of the pastry.
Press edges well together to seal.
Cover securely with greased greaseproof paper or aluminium foil.
Steam steadily for 2 hours.
Ensure that the water does not evaporate, topping it up from time to time with boiling water.
Turn out onto a plate and serve.
My Nan use to make a thin white sauce with brandy in to go with it.

Plum pudding

3lbs fruit sultanas, currants, peel, prunes, raisons
tsp nutmeg
1/2tsp mixed spice
8oz plain flour
4oz Breadcrumbs
4 eggs
8oz brown sugar
Milk to  mix

Mix all ingredients together and leave over night.

Divide into bowls, this makes about 4 one pint basins and steam for about 2-4 hours depending on size of puddings they go a darker colour the longer they are cooked.

Slow cooker auto setting for about 12 hours for average pudding.

Reheat

Into slow cooker evening before, half filled with boiling water, or microwave for 3 4 minuets.

Gem

Last edited by Earthmum (Mon 24 Jan 11 2:29pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 24 Jan 11 2:27pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks @nGoose1, but that song is why I am asking the question.  We sing it here in the U.S. at Christmas, it's known by everyone and yet, you never hear of people making 'figgy pudding' you hear of them making 'Christmas' or 'Plum' pudding.  I am wondering if there is a difference or did one lead to the other.

I'm surprised none of the U.K. folks have chimed in because I know this is a real Christmas pudding crowd.  They start their cakes weeks in advance. whistle

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Jan 11 2:31pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Sorry Mrs p our posts must have crossed, I would have sent this before christmas put didn't see the question

Gem

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 24 Jan 11 2:31pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Oh wow, thanks Gem!  Didn't see that when I posted!

It was missed by everyone because I posted when forum activity was at a low ebb because of the time difference.

eta:  nice idea to make it in the slow cooker.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 24 Jan 11 2:47pm)

Likes (0)