forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Jan 11 1:38pm

hituno

Occupation Student
From Penang,Malaysia
Member since Thu 06 Jan 11

Malaysia and Asia needs a food revolution

Hello,first to start of my name Ammar Fitri im from Malaysia im quite an active activist going around and giving people advice and methods on proper eating and ways to improve their health.Im 18 and suffered overweight when i was 12 i manage to loose weight and gain a healthy lifestyle when i was 16 i took along time to realise how important healthy and balance diet in eating.I did some research and found statistics of Malaysian diabetic suffers approximately 1.7 million out of 21 million it may seen as a small amount of people suffered.But in 2010 or 2011 the number of diabetic suffers may increased 3 or 4 times.Malaysian are establishing more and more fast-food franchise and im afraid buy time in 5 years or more obesity and diabetic will attack Malaysia by storm.Jamie if could start a food revolution not only in Malaysia but around Asia.It's really hard for me going around at some random people and asking about their diet and giving them advice im kind of young.So if you can do food revolution i would be happy and delighted to help out.I'm still doing my activism with Healthy eating hope to hear from you real soon. big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 22 Jan 11 12:21am

kashton

Member since Fri 21 Jan 11

Re: Malaysia and Asia needs a food revolution

Hi Ammar,
I totally agree with you, Asian Ministries of Food would be fantastic! Much needed as so many Asian countries and food cultures are being flooded with Western fast food, junk food and processed foods. I am Australian but have been living in Shanghai for the past 7 years and its been scary to witness the increases in obesity, diabetes, cancer and chronic illness amongst the younger generations.

There you go Jamie you have two people on the ground in Asia on standby, just let us know when you want to start! :-) I know it may seem strange re-teaching the Chinese how to cook and eat but the younger generations really need help, awareness and encouragement. They are also all keen on eating Western food so your recipes translated into Chinese would be a hit!
I am a health coach and nutrition consultant and did marketing and event management previously, this year is going to be the start of Health & Wellness in Shanghai.

cheers,
Kimberly

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 23 Jan 11 2:17pm

hituno

Occupation Student
From Penang,Malaysia
Member since Thu 06 Jan 11

Thanks Kimberly
I'm glad there's someone that understand theres a need of change.But i know chinese cook more often and their food are healthy younger generations are less incline of cooking food and depend more on processed food like McD,KFC,Dominos etc.Some of my friends eat this junk,crappy food daily.Kimberly i think u should encourage some of the kids,teenagers or whateverin your nearby area,friends,family to make cooking fun not look upon as a chore.Peace out Kimberly god bless you for helping others. big_smile  big_smile  clap

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 21 Feb 11 4:18pm

justineanouk

Member since Thu 17 Feb 11

I'm teaching in Macau with a group of Canadian teachers. We have also observed and I've been doing a lot of research on the food habits of the younger generation, specifically here in Macau. The statistics are not as shocking of something you would find back home, but before we know it the lifestyles of eating out all the time, and relying on white breads will begin to catch up with the society (among other bad habits).
There are many individuals in the community who would be willing to support a food revolution, expats and locals. It's just difficult to know where to start?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 21 Feb 11 11:38pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome Justineanouk smile
I hope you find an idea that will get things going there!
Maybe ask the old people? They may have some wonderful insights!
Cheers!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 03 Sep 11 6:09am

janefzy

Occupation Student - Learning Everyday
From Malaysia
Member since Sat 03 Sep 11

Hi Amar! I'm from Malaysia as well! And yes, I totally agree with you, we do need a Food Revo in our region/ country! And yes, though obesity and diabetes is becoming quite a concern, I think it really is the eating habits of our fellow country people, (if you know what I mean  wink  )  Have you come up with any ideas? I have a few, which I have been promoting to my friends and those around me.. It's great to know that there are others who are concerned about this matter! Thanks to Jamie for bringing the issue to light!  smile ANd I  would love to hear about the efforts done around Asia! Go Food Revo big_smile

Likes (0)