#43 Fri 04 Mar 11 6:31pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Re: Gardening ~ What are you up to?

minerva wrote:

................for prize-winning Champion onions, it's customary to plant them on Christmas Day here.

You are probably growing the so-called "long day" varieties due to your latitude.  They have a much longer growing time, and are better keepers.  We plant the "short day" varieties like Vidalia and Texas Sweet.  I try to plant some of the others every year, but they never get very big.  I keep trying though.

Likes (0)

#44 Sat 05 Mar 11 3:04pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

a friend of mine has phoned me she would buy a tiny plant of stevia for me at a orto giardino fair

I'll get this afternoom thumbsup  crossed  thumbsup  big_smile

any suggestions on how to keep it at best roll

I'm so happy and grateful
grazie Lorettaaaaa

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 05 Mar 11 3:41pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

nanster, seems like the vidalia's we get are almost going off.  I think the stores are not handling them well.  I would like to taste one that is nice, just once.

Likes (0)

#46 Sun 06 Mar 11 1:25am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Grand_Ma wrote:

a friend of mine has phoned me she would buy a tiny plant of stevia for me at a orto giardino fair

I'll get this afternoom thumbsup  crossed  thumbsup  big_smile

any suggestions on how to keep it at best roll

I'm so happy and grateful
grazie Lorettaaaaa

I bought my stevia two years ago and potted it up and it just grew!
It died down in the winter and I thought it was dead  ~ that has happened twice now, but it regrew happily when spring came. It needed repotting to a bigger container each year..
Last year I stripped it of its big leaves and dried them and they lasted a good way through winter.
This year it grew amazingly! (No drought for a change) until this week when it just flopped. I cut it back and repotted it and it was rootbound so I think it will be happy again.
I am currently drying all the leaves I cut off.

It has a slight licorice taste as well as its sweetness, but I just love a leaf of it in my cup of tea. One leaf will last for the three cups I have in the morning!

I have no idea how long it will last. It seems to be similar to a mint family bush: eg like lemon balm, in the way it grows.

Good luck with it Mada! I hope you enjoy it! smile

Likes (0)

#47 Sun 06 Mar 11 1:58am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Just planted more cabbage and collards.  It's been so warm here lately that I'm a little concerned that they won't do as well as they normally do at this time of year, so I just planted 3 plants of each.  Getting ready to plant rhubarb this week, too.

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 06 Mar 11 9:00am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have my stevia inside till it's not warmer .... near the big cardamom plant to keep it compagnia  wink  big_smile  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#49 Thu 10 Mar 11 4:07pm

luckiest1

Member since Fri 19 Jun 09

I ordered veggie seeds by mail this year and they arrived this week.  I'm hoping to start some seedlings indoors soon.  We still have snow and ice on the ground, and it's alternating between raining and trying to melt it, and then snowing the next day and covering the grass back up again.  It's frustrating weather for sure.  Can't wait until spring really arrives!  I have hope....just this morning I noticed that my tulips bulbs are starting to sprout, and are peeking out of the ground in the front garden.  Unfortunately, we are forecast to have 10 more cm of snow tomorrow.  Ugh!

Likes (0)

#50 Thu 10 Mar 11 4:14pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Need to get out and start pulling up weeds and start some seeds inside.  Want to start Calabrian chilies and some tomatoes.
Went out yesterday and saw that the mint is just starting to come up.

Likes (0)