#1 Mon 31 Jan 11 1:05pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

berrrrry souuuups!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=4141

for the request of Grand_Ma I make the thread for berry soups. there is one recipe for you.

and one that I posted for curd dumplings:
Berry soup:

any kind of fresh or frozen berries, about 300 g
1 stick of cinnamon and 1 tsp clove, wrapped in a piece of cloth
2 tbsp potato starch
3 tbsp sugar
3 cups of water

and also http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=3861 - blueberry soup with dumplings

and one that I made last summer:
red currant - UFO vegetable soup

500 g red currants
250 g UFO
50 g sugar
1 tsp cardamom
1 tbsp potato starch
1 glass of water

mix starch with water.
boil the UFO until tender, mash
add berries, heat just until they change color
remove from heat
stir in the sugar, let melt. add cardamom
stir in starch water quickly
serve cold with whipped cream. very sweet whipped cream....

Last edited by RedfoxEstonia (Sat 05 Feb 11 3:29pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 31 Jan 11 3:15pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: berrrrry souuuups!

thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  clap  big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 31 Jan 11 5:18pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Redfox, And you thought the Chinese girl's combinations were odd.  I can barely read about zucchini being mashed up, this is the green skinned, white fleshed, summer squash, right?  Reading that made me feel a little queasy.  While I do like very subtle cardamom flavors, such as the way it's used in Scandinavian coffee cakes and breakfast buns, but I'm still looking at that combined with the squash and feeling my stomach kind of flip flopping.  Sorry! yikes

Hey, and no offense whatsoever sistah/brotha, I'm just not feelin it.  I would try it if you made it for me.

eta:  Do you have any more berry soups that are on the sweet side or using yogurt?  I happen to love that sort of thing.  We had cherry soup in Hungary.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 31 Jan 11 5:20pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 03 Feb 11 12:06pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

ohhh wait wait. no not green and small. I mix those thins up all the time. not zucchini but related, spicy taste

simple: blueberries, milk, vanilla, sugar. voila.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 03 Feb 11 2:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

I'm curious now.  Was it an orange pumpkin of some sort?  That sounds good to me now. lol  roll

I love blueberries, wild blueberries!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 04 Feb 11 1:53am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Any sort of squash?  With a spicy taste?  Or some other fruit or vegetable?  I'm intrigued too.  Gooseberries?  Rhubarb?

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 05 Feb 11 12:07pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

squASH yes, but like a ufo.  dark yellow / orange.

rhubarb soup:

1 kg rhubarb
1 cup of water
100 g sugar
1 tbsp potato starch in 1/2 cup water.
I first make syrup and then add rhubarb, cause I want the pieces intact. sugar helps to keep the shape. otherwise it will be puree.
potato starch is added with constant stirring when the rhubarb has turned soft. dont overboil rhubarb, it will lose the color.

paradise apple soup

1 kg paradise apples, cleaned, dont peel
300 g sugar
15 - 20 cloves
1 tsp chopped ginger root
(place the spices in a little bag or piece of cotton.
pomegranade juice

caramel the sugar, add pomegranade juice, let the caramel melt, add spices and then the paradise apples. dont boil them too soft, they are better left crunchy. remove the spices at the end. the soup is suitable for preserving in jars like jam. can it while hot. it makes a golod marmalade when cold.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 05 Feb 11 2:57pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

you could write a book RF if you really do that the first copy is booked for me I think your way of treating food is so fantastic and healthy one feels well only reading about it thumbsup  big_smile  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 05 Feb 11 3:09pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Mmmm, that apple dish sounds great to me!  Thanks for these recipes.  I love this sort of thang.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 05 Feb 11 3:46pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
From Tallinn, Estonia

thanks for positive comments.
one thing you might like too is just take fresh berries and puree them, and add some juice, similar tasting syrup and fresh mint. on the plate and some meringue on top.

raisin and plum soup can also be made with milk. then you rinse the raisins and soak the plums if they are too dry. bring milk to boil, add the dried fruits and let them soak in the hot milk. add vanilla and stir in an egg yolk thats been rubbed with powdered sugar quickly so you dont get lumps.  this can be eaten hot or cold

we also make cold soups like ukrainians do, with buttermilk, using either vegetables, fruit or berries. the buttermilk has to be very cold. you pile a lot of things on the plate right into the buttermilk. dont have to add anything. the point is the sour taste that helps to keep fresh on a hot summer day. but roasted caramelled oatmeal and some seeds are very good with it or chopped nuts.

my granny uses home made jams to make hot soups and also hot drinks. just add boiling water according to how runny you want it. jams already contain sugar so no need to add that. but spices like clove or cinnamon are good and if she makes a thick soup using potato starch like usual, then it is eaten cold with fresh milk. I like soups made of jam better thick than runny. they are also good with semi-white or seed bread (sepik) then you can just use a piece of bread to eat it.

apple soup I make from apple jam and add rowan berries  and it goes well with a certain type of raw cheese which can be roasted on a hot pan  first.

Likes (0)