#31 Sun 10 Feb 13 7:18pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Portuguese Recipes

I'm not sure if I've posted this before or not, but here goes:
Bacalhau com broa (thats salted cod with corn bread)

For 4 you'll need about 500 grs of cod (it'll also work with fresh cod, I guess)
1 corn bread (I think some other type of dark bread should also do)
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
Greens (many will do, I like spinach, but you can use cabbage or even broccoli. If you use broccoli, make sure to over cook it so that you can grind it)
Olive oil
Parsley

Start by boiling the cod with the bay leaf - over here its very common to add milk to the boiling, it softens the fish. You can use 1/2 water, 1/2 milk.
After its done, let it cool and shred into pieces and reserve.
In the meantime put the onion roughly choped, the garlic, parsley and bits of bread into a grinder. Grind it till there's no lumps.
Boil the greens.

Get an oven tray and place some of the bread mix in the bottom to form a thin layer.
Add a second layer with the greens and a third one with the cod. Finally cover it with some more of the bread mix, add olive oil and take it to the oven for some 15 minutes.
Enjoy! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#32 Sun 10 Feb 13 7:30pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

One of the first recipes I've posted here was related to a dish thats very popular in the UK, fish and chips. I remember when I went to London to work I was just 17 years old and lets say that my palate wasnt as open and welcoming to new things as it is today so when I was given for lunch fried fish with chips I almost went nuts... roll
So here's what we have here with fried fish instead of chips: tomato rice!

Very simple, you'll need 1 small onion
3 fresh tomatoes peeled and no seeds
1 bay leaf
1 clove of garlic
Olive oil

Chop the onion as thinly as you like, same with the garlic and fry it in olive oil. Add the bay leaf for a while and then remove it.
Add the tomatoes chopped in small bits and cook for some 5 mins in low heat.
Add water (3/1 of rice) and simmer for another 5 mins.
Add the rice and cook for some 10 mins.

You may add some chopped parsley or coriander in the end if you like.
Also you may add green pepper in the beggining and in that case will be tomate and green peppers rice.

This should be a moist rice, not dry, therefore you may want to serve it in a side plate so that the fish doesnt get soggy. big_smile

Likes (0)

#33 Sun 10 Feb 13 10:08pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Thank you, Sergio  thumbsup

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)