Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 25 Mar 11 6:46pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

What makes a good curry ?

I know for a lot of people the idea of a good curry is one that is full of chilli or other heat , but , for me the most enjoyable curries are more about the aromatics and the gentler spices.

I thought that this would be an interesting discussion .

What in your opinion makes a good curry ?

Last edited by mummza (Fri 25 Mar 11 6:46pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Mar 11 7:09pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: What makes a good curry ?

Superb post,
The next day,curry is even better. To much Fire can ruin a curry, you are right there.
There is a time and a place for fire. I saw an Indian chef on T.V. saying that if it burns your throat it is to hot. I like Fire in Jamacian food (pepper sauce) Stamp and Go, Kim Chi and  other foods.
Roasting spices makes a good curry. Cooking on the bone, like most Indian homes,unlike most take aways. There are a couple of places I need to try in London, The only ones with michelin stars in the world I think. Brick Lane has to many curry house,imposible to know wich one to choose. An amazing place to visit though.
I made a simple Goan Curry not to long ago quiet nice
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/simpl … ncur_67869
Lamb Rogan Josh is one of my favourites I think.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 25 Mar 11 7:19pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I think that frying the spices make a good curry as well as the spices used.  A curry need not be firey hot.  In fact, I think a curry can be quite good with no chilies added at all.  I personally love the kick but I would make curry for friends who don't like even a little of it.  I think that whole spices put in whole or freshly ground make a big difference too. 
I'll tell you what makes a bad curry though.  In my opinion it's curry powder.  When looking at curry recipes, if I see it as an ingredient, I skip it altogether.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 25 Mar 11 7:26pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Yes, Eddie, there are so many mixes that go by the name Curry Powder, you never know what's going to be in it.  I like to combine my own.  Toasted in a dry frying pan, mustard seed, coriander seed and things of that sort give wonderful flavor.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 25 Mar 11 7:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'm always confused by what constitutes a 'curry'.  My favorites are palak paneer and chicken tikka massala, but I also like tandoori chicken with all the fixings and sauces, especially the tamarind and mint sauces.  I don't care for hot spicy food, but I do love the type of curry that is highly seasoned, has a lot of flavor and complexity.  It was really interesting to try the food in Thailand because rather than the sauces being a sort of blended flavor profile, the spices, sweet and sour notes were all very distinct and pronounced.  It is hard to find anything around here that comes close, usually the Thai food here is bland or resembles poor quality Chinese take-out food.

The curries in Thailand can be incredibly spicy and somehow, that was enjoyable for me.  I just can not take that same heat in Indian or Mexican cuisine.  I don't know why that is.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 25 Mar 11 9:45pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I think balance makes a good curry.   Finding that point when all the flavours make a harmonious whole.  Best analogy  I can make is an orchestra.  sometimes one flavour/tone is being featured above the others (  eg heat or sour or sweet or savoury spices)   but without a balance in the underlying tones it becomes simply a flat one note /flavour.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Sat 26 Mar 11 12:02am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

My partner is originally from Bradfordistan and cooks a mean curry.

She likes to make it slowly and not rush it - in the past I could knock up a basic curry in minutes in a wok, she on the other hand cooks it properly. She toasts the spices and usually adds everything individually and never uses curry powder. Once the basic curry is made, it goes into the slow cooker and stays there until we're ready to eat it.

She can use the roughest cuts of beef and end up with something really tender.

One trick I do sometimes when I cook is to use the spices like a dry rub and "marinate" the meat overnight to get some flavor into the meat.

I never used to understand an "oily" curry - now that's the only way I ever eat it, great when mopped up with naan or a pitta bread.

Last edited by falconcy (Sat 26 Mar 11 12:03am)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 26 Mar 11 2:12pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

falconcy wrote:

My partner is originally from Bradfordistan and cooks a mean curry.

She likes to make it slowly and not rush it - in the past I could knock up a basic curry in minutes in a wok, she on the other hand cooks it properly. She toasts the spices and usually adds everything individually and never uses curry powder. Once the basic curry is made, it goes into the slow cooker and stays there until we're ready to eat it.

She can use the roughest cuts of beef and end up with something really tender.

One trick I do sometimes when I cook is to use the spices like a dry rub and "marinate" the meat overnight to get some flavor into the meat.

I never used to understand an "oily" curry - now that's the only way I ever eat it, great when mopped up with naan or a pitta bread.

I believe a proper Vindaloo must be marinated for several hours in the way you describe.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 26 Mar 11 7:47pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

When I was a kid I thought Vesta made a great curry lol
For those that haven't heard of these, they were freeze dried, curry-flavoured ingredients...
I had my first real curry when I was about 16 and what an eye-opener...an absolute tastebomb thumbsup
Extensive reseach since then indicates that using fresh ingredients makes a huge difference to the final flavour...all the suggestions above help also.
Depending on the dish I add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice just before serving. yummy

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 26 Mar 11 7:59pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

I have never had a decent curry.  Can't find them here.  Maybe I just don't like them.  The jarred kind I've tried are awful.  I love spicy food.  Any suggestions?

Likes (0)