Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 22 Aug 11 6:39pm

JAW

Member since Sat 16 Jul 11

Marsala Wine

Hi folks, I was just wondering whether anyone could name a good/cheap marsala wine that I could buy from Sainsbury's? Or is there a cheap similar alternative?

A recipe I want to do asks for it, but I thought I'd check here before I chuck any old red in...

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Aug 11 6:55pm

ovineyards

Occupation winemaker
From Carcassonne, France
Member since Mon 25 Apr 11

Re: Marsala Wine

Do you need a fortified wine?  That's usually what people talk about when they say Marsala, but the wine's actually got a huge range of flavors.  Maybe the most important thing is the difference in sweetness and alcohol levels.  Which marsala you pick might depend on what exactly you're cooking and what you want to achieve.

You're right that you don't need to spend a fortune as long as you're cooking with it.  But you might want to decide if the recipe calls for a high alcohol or low alcohol Marsala (anywhere between 15% and 20% alcohol)... and how sweet you want it (this isn't shown on the bottle, but it can vary a lot too)

What are you cooking, out of curiosity?

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 23 Aug 11 12:22pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I tend to sub out Marsala with either Commandaria or Nama as it's cheaper here. Muscat should work too. I'm guessing a cheap sherry would also work.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 23 Aug 11 2:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If you were doing that I would think that you wold be better off using a reasonable sherry , some of the cheaper ones sometimes have a  sort of chemically after taste.
I would also make sure it was a sweet sherry used rather than a dry sherry.

I think that Masala has quite a good flavour and I would try hard to find it for the recipe.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 23 Aug 11 7:05pm

JAW

Thanks for your thoughts/advice everyone!

The recipe I'm using it in is 'open lasagne of roasted squash and wild mushrooms with sage butter' from the MasterChef at Home cookbook (recipe by Tim Kinnaird). It literally just says '3 tbsp Marsala wine', which is cooked with the mushrooms.

All I can find at home at the mo is a sweet white port, red wine and a bottle of red vermouth. The vermouth would seem to make a good substitute?

Thanks again for your help!

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 23 Aug 11 7:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

oh no ....its quite different.

Masala and mushrooms go very well , I had a dish served to me once that was wild mushrooms with a masala sauce ... it was delicious.

Do you have an offlicence near where you live ?

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 24 Aug 11 2:05pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

If you do track down the Marsala, remember it works very well in sweet dishes too. Try it in Trifle instead of the more usual Sherry, or Syllabubs/Mousses, or a small amount in fresh Fruit Salad in the Winter.............you can also mix a spoonful or two to whipped cream to serve with Mince Pies at Xmas!

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 25 Aug 11 11:08am

JAW

I think Sainsbury's is actually closer to me than the nearest off-licence haha! I did use the vermouth in the end, I know it's not correct but I didn't have time to get the marsala. The dish was absolutely fantabulous, definitely recommend it - I will post a slightly adjusted version on my blog soon.

But yes, I will buy a bottle of marsala on my next shopping trip, as I want to make this again, using the marsala, and I like the fact that it keeps once opened. Thanks for the tips minerva, sounds delicious!!  tongue

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 28 Aug 11 8:00am

ovineyards

Occupation winemaker
From Carcassonne, France
Member since Mon 25 Apr 11

JAW wrote:

I will post a slightly adjusted version on my blog soon.

Thanks for going out on a limb with the vermouth.  I'm actually more intrigued by that idea than the masala mushrooms (which I've had before).  Interesting idea!  Thanks for sharing.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 01 Sep 11 3:44pm

JAW

No worries! It seemed worked to work well. I will post the link here, though it may be a few weeks before it actually happens!

Likes (0)