forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 11 Sep 11 1:09pm

HaggisHunter

Occupation keeping dogs happy
Member since Sun 06 Feb 11

Giant Marrow recipes anyone?

I have been gifted one giant Marrow that looks like it could be used for 4 meals or more does anyone have a good recipe/s? I have one I'm going to try today which will involve stuffing it with some pork, sage & some apples, red peppers & toms I have been growing (maybe a wee dash of brandy too?) . I was also wondering if its better to peel or leave the skin? I would quite like to keep the colour but having never cooked it I'm not sure how it effects the taste? Like I say this is HUGE marrow & I don't like waste so any other ideas for the rest would be greatly received :-)    (its that big it tops out my scales!!)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Sep 11 4:17pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Giant Marrow recipes anyone?

Marrow is a type of squash?  What type is it?  The stuffing sounds very nice and do add the brandy.  My BiL has done this with yellow (summer squash) and it was excellent.  His filling was mostly vegetables (including corn) wild rice, bread crumbs and herbs, if I recall correctly.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 11 Sep 11 4:42pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

If it is a large long one, I would just cut it in half scoop out the middle and stuff  it, taking into account that it will give off some of it's water while cooking. Top with cheese & breadcrumbs to form a crust and bake it in a moderate oven till cooked.
Your pork stuffing sounds fine, I have also used beef mince with tomato in the past.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 11 Sep 11 5:06pm

HaggisHunter

Cheers guys,
It's a big dark green one :-s  Does the depth of colour affect the taste? & should I leave the skin on or peel it? If possible I'd like to keep it as I think the colour will make the dish look nice.
Both yours sound good & being able to add cheese is always a bonus with me!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 11 Sep 11 5:22pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I would leave the skin on if you're stuffing it.  It will help hold it together.  You can always avoid eating the skin if it doesn't soften much during cooking, but it probably will get soft.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 11 Sep 11 5:43pm

HaggisHunter

Thanks Ms Pablo thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 12 Sep 11 3:19am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

My Mum's very excited about marrows as she has been growing millions and finding all sorts of uses for them.

A few bits of useful info first: a marrow is the same plant as a courgette - but what we call a courgette is a younger version of the fruit. The older ones have thicker skin, which can be bitter, and less flavour.

What good old Mum has found out is that marrow takes on other flavours brilliantly - so as well as stuffing it, which is traditional, you can slice or dice it and fry it up with strong flavours, like garlic or curry.

I agree with leaving the skin on if stuffing it, as it holds it together, but if you're cutting up a big marrow, peel it, as the skin isn't that nice to eat.

Mum also makes jam with it! It sounds mad, but it gives a good-textured base which has almost no flavour, so you can add unusual flavours which can't be used to make jam on their own - her best so far are marrow and ginger (which is awesome, the ginger flavour infuses through everything but the heat is quite mild because there isn't that much actual ginger in it), and marrow and lavender, which I haven't tried, but she can't stop talking about how good it is.

You use the same quantities as for any jam, a pound of marrow and whatever else to a pound of sugar. I'm not sure if she adds lemon juice to get a set, but it would probably be wise as marrow contains no pectin.

Hope that gives you a few more ideas!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 12 Sep 11 5:35am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

there are lots of marrow cake recipes out there as well..  If you like carrot cake you will probably like zucchini/courgette/marrow cake.

The cakes freeze very well too, my wife as five or six in the deep freeze right now.

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 12 Sep 11 5:36am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#9 Mon 12 Sep 11 4:01pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Cor Marrows, we have then coming out of our ears, huge ones too.

We always stuff ours too,instead of cutting down the length we always cut it into rings, and stuff them, cover with foil, roast (180 fan) for 3/4 of an hour then remove the foil and cook for a further 15min.

We find by cutting it into rings its easier to serve and eat  big_smile

Last edited by joobes (Fri 23 Sep 11 6:19pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 12 Sep 11 10:04pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

che meraviglia  big_smilethumbsup I did not know anything about this and threw my forgotten hidden zucchini inthe composter help  roll  oops  oops  shocked

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Mon 12 Sep 11 10:05pm)

Likes (0)