forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 04 Nov 11 11:05pm

fromscratchmom

Occupation homeschooling mom
From Ohio In the U.S.
Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Shepherd's Pie vs. Cottage Pie

For some of the Brits on the board: Could anyone tell me if there is a specific difference between shepherd's pie and cottage pie or is it just two different names? I'd love to know if there is something specific that makes the dish earn its name so to speak, for each of them.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 04 Nov 11 11:27pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Shepherd's Pie vs. Cottage Pie

Hi FromScratchMom!
I'm a Kiwi/New Zealander....& for us Kiwis....
A shepherd's pie is made with LAMB!
A cottage pie is made with BEEF!
Both are yummy  yummy of course & lovely to have as a lunch pie or as an evening meal with your fav veges!!
Hopefully it's not too late in the evening in the U.K. for any Brittish Forumers to respond with their "take" on this very economical nutritious pie!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 04 Nov 11 11:36pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I learnt on this forum that the reason the beef one is called Cottage Pie is because they made it when they slaughtered the old milk cow that every cottager kept for dairy foods.
(love this forum!)
And vegetarians call their version 'Gardeners Pie'  wink

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 04 Nov 11 11:51pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Hiya Kris wave

Shepherd's pie is made with lamb, carrots and potato and is very simular to Cottage pie which is made made with beef.

But...
In many countries the left over meats from the week were and still are used to make a Cottage pie, here we call that dish 'Hachis parmentier'.... meats broken up and totally covered with mashed potato.

edit: sp

Last edited by kye in france (Fri 04 Nov 11 11:52pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 05 Nov 11 12:00am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

I like the sound of Gardeners Pie, Joy! Mmmm! I love veges!  smile

{Edit: sorry, Kye, didn't see you before posting wave ...I'd better motor (Shammy always says I need a 'car' here! lol  wink ) over to your spider thread quick smart before I goooooo.....}

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Sat 05 Nov 11 12:03am)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 05 Nov 11 2:24pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I remember we had this discussion several years ago in another thread.  This one seems much calmer. What's happening to us?  Just to be contrary, I will tell you of a restaurant here (bound for doom or a new chef, I hope) that serves "shepherd's pie" made with ground beef.  Anyone who has the audacity to claim the title "chef," should know the difference!   What's worse is, he took the leftover mixture and stuffed peppers with it and then only half cooked them while guests waited for an hour past the start of the dinner time for them to be served.

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Sat 05 Nov 11 2:30pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 05 Nov 11 2:26pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We used to make a similar pie topped with rice flavored with cheese and tomato. I think we called it a Spanish pie. roll

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 05 Nov 11 2:30pm

mr edmundo

From Lincolnshire, UK
Member since Sat 30 Jul 11

I love both, probably cottage the most but the ingredients I have learned to love most are a teaspoon of curry paste or a dash of balsamic vinegar, give great depth of flavour  yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 05 Nov 11 2:32pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

When I was a kid, my mom used to make something called "hamburger pie" that was akin to cottage pie except that is contained string beans.  Ahhh midwest American cookery!

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Sat 05 Nov 11 2:32pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 05 Nov 11 6:34pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I'm making a version of cottage pie today, since you put the idea in my head.  Mine has onion, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms and beef with parmesan mashed potatoes on top.

eddie, I've never done it with string beans, but sometimes add spinach and cheese to the meat.

Likes (0)