forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Dec 11 11:37am

monkeyboy3

From Scotland
Member since Fri 21 Apr 06

Gravy Recipe for Roast Leg of Lamb

Hi,

I have decieded to have roast leg of lamb for xmas dinner this year with all the trimmings.

Can any pass on a great gravy recipe to have with it.......I am think basics carrot, celeray, lamb stock, red wine, red current jelly, herbs and juice form the tray

Please pass on any idea thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Dec 11 2:11pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Gravy Recipe for Roast Leg of Lamb

If you plan on using the drippings from your roast to make the gravy then I'd advise to use chicken stock.  Lamb stock is very heavy and has an overpowering aroma.  I also like to roast garlic with the other basics.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Dec 11 7:11pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

monkeyboy3  , thats much what I would do also , I aso use some of the vegetable cooking waters ( not cabbage or any of the brasicas ) . Be a bit carefull with the redcurrant jelly as it can sometimes cause it to be a bit sweet and dont forget to check the seasoning as you are aking the gravy , add salt a little at a time as its easy to oversalt.
I do sometimes add a little mint to the gravy but that would not be to everyones taste.

Personally as my family love the taste of lamb ( one if their favorite meats ), I would not use any chicken stock.

Also be a bit carefull as the lamb is sometimes very fatty so you might want to remove some of the fats before starting to make the gravy.
When I cook lamb I try to keep a carefull eye on the roasting pan so that the base of it never gets too dry ... a add a slosh of water or a slosh of wine to the tin if I think its getting a bit too dry.

I would think that you could make a gravy base before Christmas if you used Jamie Olivers get ahead gravy method , your local butcher will probably give you a few lamb bones ( generay free of charge ) if he has any and you could also use a lamb shank .

Last edited by mummza (Sun 18 Dec 11 7:12pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Dec 11 8:17pm

monkeyboy3

From Scotland

Hi,

Do you have any links to jamies get ahead gravys?

How does this recipe look

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5762 … wine-gravy

Thanks

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Dec 11 2:36pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

I guess it's a matter of personal taste about the chicken stock versus lamb stock.  Using lamb stock gives such a strong aroma that it totally covers up the meat.  I like the flavor of the roasted lamb, using chicken stock lightens up the gravy a bit and lets the meat shine through.  Plus Jamie does it so it can't be wrong smile

This video shows Jamie cooking up a slow roasted shoulder of lamb (which happens to be our favorite meal of all time).  Near the end of the video he makes a fantastic gravy using the drippings.  I've made it a number of times and it's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWIrf-9_gw

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Dec 11 4:00pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes it is personal taste ,  but , it is something that I would not do as I always use the vegatabe waters ad a sosh of wine !
By letting the condensed lamb juices down with the wine and veg waters it will have much the same effect as adding chicken stock . I Jjust would not put chicken with lamb myself .

I know that many people do use chicken stock a lot these days as it is a mider favour but I am sure I would be able to detect the smell of it in the gravy .
Now this might seem odd to you but I always season and cook the meat by small and never by taste as I am vegetarian . (My family all enjoy eating meat and so I cook it for them).

I did watch the part of the video where he makes the gravy and he puts fresh mint leaves in it , I tend to put a mint jelly or some very fine chopped mint , nothing as chunky as Mr Oliver used.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 19 Dec 11 9:03pm

monkeyboy3

From Scotland

Is this the gravy you mean?  Not sure how well this would work with roast leg of lamb

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c … avy-recipe

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 20 Dec 11 2:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

monkeyboy3 wrote:

Is this the gravy you mean?  Not sure how well this would work with roast leg of lamb

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c … avy-recipe

Perhaps not this particular recipe but it can work if you adapt it to lamb.  For instance, replace the sage with mint. Replace the chicken wings with lamb bones or beef bones.  The procedure however should remain the same.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 20 Dec 11 3:14pm

Oveja

Member since Sun 18 Dec 11

Just to butt in and say some great ideas, will definately be using some of these for my Christmas lamb!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 20 Dec 11 3:18pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

My very favourite way for roast leg of lamb is Jamies recipe for slow roasted lamb with mint and capers - absolutely delicious smile

Likes (0)