forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 31 Dec 11 10:52am

Peteepetepete

Member since Sat 31 Dec 11

11kg roast leg of pork

Hi
I'm attempting to cook a huge leg of pork today,
Got it scored & it's crackling up nicely.
I'm going to turn it down & cook it for 5 or 6 hours at around 150 hopefully the cracking will last through that.wondering about taking it off, perhaps that'll become obvious as it cooks.....
Any tips? Ideas for sides?

Thanks!!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 31 Dec 11 12:01pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: 11kg roast leg of pork

Hi Pete,
Welcome...I had the BiL over last week and added to the roasting tin roughly cut carrot and parsnip, sliced onion rings and some parboiled potatoes (I first drained some of the fantastic jus from the tin)...they roasted for a couple of hours and were over-done in my opinion but every scrap got eaten...delicious thumbsup
http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=75861
http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=75862

I wouldn't bother seperating the crackling unless its looking overdone....

enjoy your pork...it sounds fantastic!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 31 Dec 11 1:03pm

Peteepetepete

Member since Sat 31 Dec 11

Thanks that sounds really good. Id like to find something fresh & crispy, I have an idea that ginger & chilli & perhaps soy sauce would be good, maybe a dip or sauce or dressing for raw cabbage something like that.
The pork sat in lemons & fennel seeds overnight, is filling the house with a fantastic smell, 4 hours to go......

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 31 Dec 11 2:58pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

If the crackling looks done but the pork needs more time, you could just cover with a sheet of foil (shiny side up). Don't seal the tray, just lay it on top of the skin, and it will protect it from the radiating temperature of the oven. Also, remember to baste often!

Likes (0)