Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 01 Feb 12 3:49am

H_the_bear

Member since Wed 01 Feb 12

Frozen food nutrition?

I have a Godson that's almost 2 years old, and everytime I have seen his mom feeding him within the last year, it has always been frozen pizza, frozen nuggets, frozen french fries, frozen waffles/pancakes...(etc) heated in the toaster oven or microwave. His parents say the same as every parent in that situation "that's all he will eat".

I'm not here to debate methods of raising children and I'm certainly not going to lecture them on feeding techniques or disciplines, especially since I don't have any kids of my own.  My initial thoughts are, if you intend on feeding your child those kinds of "Kid friendly" items, it might be better to make them yourself instead of buying it frozen.

Problem is, I can't seem to find much information on frozen foods in order to make a good enough case to convince them that the switch is worth it. Even websites dedicated to children's health seem to be vague about what the health risks are for these types of frozen foods. They tend more to make suggestions for the "best" alternative brands. Where we live, variety in frozen pre-prapered foods are slim.

To cut it short, does anyone have knowledge about comparisons in frozen "kid friendly" foods like the ones mentioned at the top, to fresh made foods of the same?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 01 Feb 12 4:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Frozen food nutrition?

Welcome to the forum H_the_bear  smile

Does your godson sit at the table with the rest of the family to eat his meals or is he fed separately , as he is a little one on his own ?

What sort of things do the rest of the family eat ?

Did he eat fresh made baby foods or pre prepared baby foods before he ate these chicken nuggets etc.?

I think that quite a few parents fall into this sort of pattern for feeding their little ones , these type of foods are easy for the little one to pick up and eat , easy to prepare , create less mess as they get eaten and often do get happily eaten
But if that's all the little one gets given of course that's all he will eat .
The other thing is that they are generally cost effective as a small amount can get pprtionef out and cooked with no waste .

It's not what I would do myself as we always ate meals together as a family and these meals were almost always prepared from fresh .
Of course when my children were small we did have a few packets of these type of foods in the freezer for an emergency quick meal or as they had been asked for , but they were not regular foods at all and we often had to make a conscious note to use them up before the date expired on them .

I think I might approach things a bit differently rather than making a case about the nutrition , I might have the family over for a meal and bit of fresh chicken and some vegetables for them all to eat , cutting the veg so they were an easy shape for the little one to feed himself , everyone eating together at the table .

After a few meals like this it will then be easier to aproach the subject of the added fats and salts in the foods that she is prefering to feed her little one , she will have seen him eat the fresh chicken and so will not be able to deny that he eats it .

My children ate the same as the rest of the family , if we were having curry for supper or lunch we used to make it just a bit less spicy to start with and gradually build up the spices as time went on .
They used to regularly  have things that were cooked with some wine in the recipe .
They ate all manner of different and interesting foods spiced , full of garlic it did not matter I just gave it to them and they ate !
The only things I avoided was adding much salt , I put very little salt in foods as I knew for children this should be avoided and for adults , well they could add a bit more at the table .
The only thing I did not really give them was fish as I am allergic to this and a bit wary of giving it to them , however they tried and ate fish fingers at friends houses .

It won't be long before your godson can help you cook a few things when he visits you and I have usually found that children will eat what they cook so this issue might just sort itself out in the end.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 01 Feb 12 4:45am)

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 01 Feb 12 1:13pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

When I was little, the only frozen food my parent's fed me and my younger brother were vegetables, particularly a mix-bag of peas, carrot cubes and sweatcorn. It's a great combo for kids since all those veg taste very sweet, we used to eat them blanched with a pinch of salt.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 01 Feb 12 2:50pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

It sounds like you really care about your Godson but you are wasting your time trying to change this family's habits.  Don't get me wrong, it's a valiant effort but I'm afraid that the parents were giving you excuses.  They claim that the child will only eat chicken nuggets but I'm pretty sure they are at fault for making nuggets an option steadily enough to alienate other foods.  The truth is they can't be bothered to make fresh food for him and are grabbing what's easiest.  Pay attention and I'm sure you will see that their diet is poor as well.  A parent who has a healthy diet would not dream of instilling their child with an unhealthy diet, it doesn't make sense.  Kids eat how parents eat.  My friend is Japanese, her baby likes seaweed and tofu.  My baby is greek, he's growing a taste for lamb hehe. 

I've gotten quite a bit of pressure to give my baby sweets.  First of all my baby has never had sweets or chocolate, and they claim that he is missing these things.  How can he be missing it?  He can't miss chicken nuggets because he's never had those either.  Let's face it, these parents have taught their child to eat these frozen foods, only they can be held responsible for teaching him otherwise.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 02 Feb 12 1:43am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here H_the_bear,
This is a job for super GODPARENT!

It s lovely to know you are taking your role as godparent to care about his health in this way!

Firstly, it sounds like the problem with your godson is less that the food he is eating was frozen, and more that is consists of pizza, waffles, frenchfries, nuggets etc.

You mat not be able to change the families habits, even with the best info, but do keep trying! Giving them Jamie's 30 minute meals or a similar resource could be a great help.

But in your responsibility as godparent to that little boy, consider doing special things around food that give him new experiences and mitigate the bad things in his current diet.

When you are visiting bring some veggies and sit with him to create a salad face: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=salad … mp;bih=586

or bring in some fruit and chop things up to make a fruit salad, he can add the berries.

These sort of games not only teach him about different foods and give him a play environment to experiment with tasting them, it also builds your relationship, helps his education ( fine motor control, language skills etc) and gives his parents a break.

If you take him out, visit a fresh food market! Or go to an 'all you can pick' farm.

Even doing these things once a month, or even less often than that, will make delightful changes to his life, and hopefully be building a good foundation for his future health.

Good luck,
Let us know how things are going

smile

Likes (0)