#41 Thu 01 Mar 12 3:05am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: British<->American

minerva wrote:

To clarify:
Cobnuts/Filberts = Both types of Hazelnut (one is long & thin, the other short & round)

Porridge = Oatmeal.........no, not exactly.........'Oatmeal' is oatmeal, but technically 'Porridge' is the way it's cooked not what it's made of ie you can have Oatmeal Porridge, Pease Porridge, Bean Porridge, Bran Porridge etc. Younger folks seem to only know oatmeal porridge these days as a breakfast dish, but older folks like me remember porridges of other things as 'poor man's food' from days before supermarkets.

KiwiKris' NZ pancake, sounds more like what I would know as a Scotch Pancake.

Hi Minerva! Thank you for your post (sorry for my late reply)! I just did a search & your Scotch Pancakes are like our Kiwi pikelets/small pancakes!  yummy

And, while I was 'surfing the Net' I finally wanted to-get-to-the-'bottom' of what pancakes or flapjacks ARE (Kaitlyn & Mummza!)??! So here it is finally - a link to many countries versions/takes on "their" pancakes/flapjacks/crepes!!!! thumbsup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

YUM exclaim

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Thu 01 Mar 12 3:28am)

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 01 Mar 12 12:35pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Another good one is Faggots :P

Likes (0)

#43 Thu 01 Mar 12 7:15pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Cornmeal = Polenta

Likes (0)

#44 Fri 02 Mar 12 1:20am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Ketchup = tomato sauce here in Australia.

Kiwi Kris is spot on with the pancakes too - ours are just larger versions of a piklet however the ingredients vary slightly.

I've tried the UK version of flapjacks (a good friend at work comes from England) and I have to say they are rather like a softer version of a museli bar. Not too bad, worthy of experimenting with me thinks wink

Likes (0)

#45 Fri 21 Sep 12 12:40am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

falconcy wrote:

Another good one is Faggots :P

I've heard two definitions for those: cigarettes (bleargh) and fuel for a fire (from back when those considered to be 'heretics' were burned as punishment).

Likes (0)