Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 24 Mar 12 11:38pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Pink Slime

Ho Joey, have you any cake ideas....i am at a lost right now wondering what to bake for my family smile

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 25 Mar 12 3:08am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Joey McGee wrote:

You could have easily googled that yourself, really. I can't respond to everyone's requests to debunk their theories or questions. This all started from certain people not doing their research, right?

Cheers

So basically if it's pink it's meat?

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 25 Mar 12 5:17am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I for one never said it was banned only that it was not allowed  in Canadian meat packing industry.  Which it isn't  , because it is not an approved additive. I think WRW misunderstood and made a comment along the lines of it being banned ( as in specifically targeted to not be allowed) in Canada based on that.

A concern with pink slime I have  is that  there is no information I could find( and I googled  a lot ) that gives the amount of residual ammonia hyrdoxide that is left in the meat  after it is mixed in.  Heat due to cooking would  gas off a lot of any residual that didn't gas off while sitting , so I would like to know the amount that would end up being ingested.    Ammonia hyrdoxide has been shown to be tumorigenic in animal studies, but so far I havn't been able to find the info on the levels needed in the study to get those results.
In and of itself , this doesn't really mean anything, as many of the things we eat every day are tumorigenic.  Black pepper for instance is a known fairly high  tumorigenic compound.   I am inclined to think from what I have been able to find out that any residual ammonia hydroxide ingested poses little to no health risk.

This doesn't mean I will run out to eat pink slime though, as I still think the beef industry is pulling a fast one here.

When I buy a product called ground beef, I expect it to be made from solid pieces of meat run though a meat grinder. It is deception to subsitute , mechanically separated, chemically treated paste for ANY portion of that product in my opinion.

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 25 Mar 12 5:20am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#24 Sun 25 Mar 12 10:04am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Joey McGee wrote:

Also notice how dramatic he is in showing how “dangerous” the ammonia solution is. I wonder if he realizes that in a chemistry lab, his kitchen grade vinegar would be considered just as hazardous – I don’t see him calling for a ban on vinaigrettes.

While I'm usually the first to pull people up on the "chemicals" front I will say that this one is an overstatement.

Vinegar is about 4 to 8% acetic acid. An 8% acetic acid solution in a lab (and I should know) is not a hazardous substance (at least not in australia, different countries can have different classifications for "hazardous substance"). This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid defines it as an irritant. Glacial acetic acid is pure. It's hazardous.

I like this site for debunking of media myths about science http://www.senseaboutscience.org/

Also Ben Goldacre's Bad Science is a great read.

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 25 Mar 12 11:51am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

It comes down to this:

I have a right to know what is in my food and how it is prepared.  If there are people who don't care if their "ground meat" is prepared, so be it. For myself and my family I care. I want to know.  I need to be able to make a choice. That goes for any food.  I read every package. Crazy? Maybe. I think it is completely unnecessary for meat companies to do that, especially with the amount of meat available.  It's done as a way to get more product out and make more money. They don't care about people, they care about profit.

I also don't eat:
Splenda
Equal
store bought bread

Last edited by cohphanta (Sun 25 Mar 12 12:04pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 25 Mar 12 6:05pm

Pamela1

Member since Sun 25 Mar 12

Today's paper reports that 44 Boston public schools are eliminating pink slime filler, that Mimi-Dade has said it will opt for discontinuing it, that state officials in SC say they will only procure slime-free ground beef when it's available, and that NYC is phasing out product with the additive.

No matter how you feel about it, the public pressure and health concerns are compelling enough for this action, even when it may inflate budgets at a difficult time.

I registered just now for this site to tell Jamie "et al" a heartfelt thank-you. It never would've happened without you!

You're an inspiring person impacting the world for positive change....

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 25 Mar 12 6:07pm

Pamela1

Those are public school systems, I mean. Didnt want to be ambiguous here smile

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 25 Mar 12 10:28pm

Pamela1

OK, I invite you over for dinner.  I take some nice ground round and mix in some pink slime. I grill up burgers and offer you a nice one on a bun. Losing your appetite here? I rest my case.

If you won't eat it, and you wouldn't feed it to your dog, what should we do with it? Send it over to third world countries? We can add by-products to make it even cheaper.

It also might be cheaper just to give every school child a meal-in-a-drink, like Ensure. Add chocolate flavor and sweetener so they'll drink it.

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 25 Mar 12 11:09pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Joey McGee wrote:

Pakman wrote:

So basically if it's pink it's meat?

No. It is beef. Read the links, study the science. This is getting the meat the butchers tools couldn't get at.

So basically it's recycled?  yummy

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 25 Mar 12 11:21pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Joey McGee wrote:

cohphanta wrote:

I think it is completely unnecessary for meat companies to do that, especially with the amount of meat available.  It's done as a way to get more product out and make more money. They don't care about people, they care about profit.

you didn't read Donley's letter. 

They found a way to get more perfectly good meat out of a cow. It's less waste and the savings are passed along to the consumer. If they weren't you'd have an argument there.

We have extra meat? Tell that to our developing countries in 20 years. Donley is right, this alarmism threatens progression.

I never said extra meat, I said meat available. Have you ever worked in a meat market? Or a grocery store? I spend 15 years of my working life working in grocery stores. The amount of good meat that is thrown away every day because it doesn't sell is staggering. I'm not talking high priced meat, all of it across the board. You know why? Because if Suzy Homemaker or Larry Lordass come to shop and there aren't 50 packages for them to choose from they go crazy. So stores over stock to appease the customers and what doesn't sell get's tossed. Yes, some stores mark down before the last day and some do donate to soup kitchens, but not all. The same goes for bakeries, deli's and the produce. It's mind boggeling the amount of food that is wasted in this country. There is enough meat, we don't need to add to it or  squeeze out an extra few pounds, we need to be more conscious of what is actually needed.

Likes (0)